PDA

View Full Version : Field Service / Routing Software ?

JimLewis
08-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I posted this thread in the LawnCare forum. But I wanted to post it here too, because I know irrigation companies who are using this program as well. Wanted feedback from any of you who have been using this or anything similar as well......

--

Anyone use any of the high-end proprietary field service / routing software? For instance, Hindsite. I know there are other programs out there. I don't mind paying good money for them.

But Hindsite is $500 to purchase and then like $50-$99 per crew / tech. you have running. For me, that adds up to almost $800 per month!!!! I just can't see paying that much each month just to use a program. Especially when for 3-4 months in the winter we wouldn't hardly be using it very much. That's almost $10K a year!

Anyone know of anything that works like Hindsite, but is a little less expensive?

http://www.hindsitesoftware.com/fiel...tware-demo.cfm

mitchgo
08-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I recently asked our programmer if he would sell our program to other irrigation companies. He said he can't though because my boss has paid him to make a program for him. So our programmer doesn't own it

wish I could show you guys our program though as it is completely set up for irrigation

DanaMac
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Have you looked at QXpress? I've used for years after a couple guys here mentioned it. Integrates with my Quickbooks real easy.
Attached is what I look at everyday on the schedule. The weekly view with three techs per day. You can also change to daily or monthly.

bcg
08-12-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm using Field One. It runs as a Windows service on an SQL server so you only have to open a couple of ports on the firewall and you can have secure remote access anywhere you have an Internet connection. I have laptops in the vans with 3G cards so the schedule stays real time for the office and the techs. If the office adds a call, it shows up right away, techs do invoicing and billing (including processing credit cards) on site and tech status is always current so the office knows what's going on. It also integrates with QB if you want it to but I don't use that feature of it. I believe they have both purchase and monthly leasing options, we just bought it though.

http://www.fieldone.com/screenshots/

mitchgo
08-13-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm using Field One. It runs as a Windows service on an SQL server so you only have to open a couple of ports on the firewall and you can have secure remote access anywhere you have an Internet connection. I have laptops in the vans with 3G cards so the schedule stays real time for the office and the techs. If the office adds a call, it shows up right away, techs do invoicing and billing (including processing credit cards) on site and tech status is always current so the office knows what's going on. It also integrates with QB if you want it to but I don't use that feature of it. I believe they have both purchase and monthly leasing options, we just bought it though.

http://www.fieldone.com/screenshots/

I love your setup.
My boss is soo damn busy but he claims we will set this up this winter, cept we will use our phones as hotspots.

Right now we have a win 2008 server using mysql database and our program is based off microsoft access which gives you the ability to program your own program. Each night my boss grabs the laptops from the trucks and syncs them to the database, then sets them back out for our route the next day.

Mike Leary
08-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I do hand it to you guys, seriously. That is such a efficient way of keeping track and cutting the office time. :clapping:

Kiril
08-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I posted this thread in the LawnCare forum. But I wanted to post it here too, because I know irrigation companies who are using this program as well. Wanted feedback from any of you who have been using this or anything similar as well......

--

Anyone use any of the high-end proprietary field service / routing software? For instance, Hindsite. I know there are other programs out there. I don't mind paying good money for them.

But Hindsite is $500 to purchase and then like $50-$99 per crew / tech. you have running. For me, that adds up to almost $800 per month!!!! I just can't see paying that much each month just to use a program. Especially when for 3-4 months in the winter we wouldn't hardly be using it very much. That's almost $10K a year!

Anyone know of anything that works like Hindsite, but is a little less expensive?

dotProject ..... it's free.

http://www.dotproject.net/

hunterpreferred
08-13-2011, 03:01 PM
We have been using hindsite for 3 years now. The price has gone up since we started, but I feel it's still worth the money. I think you can cancel all but 1 of the licenses over the winter. Also they have a new half license option that allows you to schedule in the office, but no mobile device. Not sure that would work for your needs, but it can reduce the cost.
Great product Good luck

SPEEDSKI
08-14-2011, 08:27 PM
We have hindsite also and we are now at the point where it is time to really set up the software to use its full potential.

Do those who use it have it set up to where you feel comgfortable with the "office girl" transferring the work orders to Quick Books and then sendnig them off with out your review?

How are you updating the pricing for materials? I have been updating in QB then to Hindsite.

I have had to really get more involved in the software now that the service side has grown so much, but I do not have time to check 40 invoices a day and do all my normal operations and design tasks.

Thanks for any help.

sprinklerchris
08-15-2011, 06:24 PM
You get what you pay for.

Hindsite is worth every penny by keeping track of all of the missed hours and materials that clients otherwise never get charged for. And the paperwork reduction is huge.

Jobber
09-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know much about Hindsite, but I figured I'd throw our hat in the ring. From what I do know about some of the other software products out there, Jobber is by far the easiest to use. That doesn't mean it's a simple product, because it's not! We have all of the same features as the competition, but we've focused on making it as easy to use and as flexible as possible. Check us out for a free 30-Day trial at www.getjobber.com. If you like what you see, there's a discount code for lawnsite users. Just PM me and I'll send along the code!

DanaMac
01-12-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm bringing this back up to the top. Starting to look into some better software. Have QX and QB. QX has been fine for scheduling, but I want a lot more. I am impressed with what I see from Hindsite (HS). I want my techs to be able to enter all the info into a device and have it sync back to an office computer with QB. I'm tired of taking all their hand written sales receipts, work orders to be turned into invoices, and overall chicken scratched notes.
Jobber - I will look at your software later as well. If the HS rep can chime in, it would be worth it as well. I'll look more at the Fieldone too.

Looking for input from those that use HS. Hopefully I can get Jim to chime back in on this, as he started the thread. So I have a few questions.
What devices are you using in the field to enter the info and have it sync back? Laptop? Smartphones? Tablets, Blackberry? other PDA? I don't even know what they support, but will talk with them soon to find out.
Has it been as easy as you anticipated? How about for a technology challenged person? Both my employees are not computer gurus at all, and one tech doesn't even own one or any kind of smartphone.
How many employees use this within the company? Has it been worth it for everybody?
Hangup I have is the same for Jim - cost. $495 set up fee ($200 off from using EARN from Ewing), plus 3 techs = almost $300 a month, plus cost of 3 handheld devices, plus data plan for 3 devices. That adds up for a small company. But it prevents me from having to take all the paperwork for three of us from each day - which can be 10-45 homes a day - and enter it all into QB, which can be late at night, early mornings, or Saturday/Sundays. I have no office support, so that is when I can take care of it all. I still may look into office help as well though.

Little more feedback if possible. Thanks.

Irrigation Contractor
01-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Worth every penny!!!

Saves and makes you money in places you never even thought of before. Get with the owner of Hindsite and have him do a remote demo, I was sold within the first 10 minutes.

You CANNOT use a free product and expect the same results. HS has come along way since we started 4 years ago. My techs log EVERYTHING they do and I cannot tell how many times I have used Hindsite to back up or save our ass! Yes the techs have to enter the data, but that is pretty easy to control when it comes down to them doing it right or they hit the road. All of my techs are good, and they LOVE the HS.

If a tech runs into a difficult to locate shut off, they enter that location in the site notes for the next tech. Each tech can also look up the history of the customer, so if they are trying to trouble shoot something, they can what work the previous tech performed and know not to waste time doing it again.

We also have notes for dogs, gate codes, garage codes, equipment locations, if a battery operated valve is on site, whether their is an automatic fill off the mainline for the swimming pool or water feature etc.

With almost 2500 customers, it saves us days of invoicing each week easily!!!!!

DanaMac
01-12-2012, 08:12 AM
What kind of devices are they using in the field to enter the data?
Posted via Mobile Device

bcg
01-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Fieldone is supporting Windows Mobile devices and just added Android support but the Android app is still a little light on features. I'm hoping it gets to the point that I can replace the laptops with Android tablets soon. Of course, then printing invoices becomes a challenge but I could always just tell customers we're a green company and only email them now.

DanaMac
01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Fieldone is supporting Windows Mobile devices and just added Android support but the Android app is still a little light on features. I'm hoping it gets to the point that I can replace the laptops with Android tablets soon. Of course, then printing invoices becomes a challenge but I could always just tell customers we're a green company and only email them now.

I was also trying to figure out the sales receipt on site for the customer. I really don't want mobile printers in each truck. I'm wondering if in HS, the techs can enter an invoice, and email it to the customer. Maybe show the customer on the device the invoice, but email so they have a hard copy. With using the SquareUp credit card device, I can send a receipt to a customers email or phone if they get texts. Personally, I am hoping I can do all of my own stuff from my Android phone.

Kiril
01-12-2012, 10:43 AM
You CANNOT use a free product and expect the same results.

Why not? I can name a host of open source products that perform as good, if not considerably better, than the comparable proprietary for fee product. The one example I posted can provide online access and billing for the cost of a cheap hosting account, and you get the additional benefit of using open source software which you can customize to suit your needs. If that type of stuff is over your head, then pay someone to do it for you (a one time cost).

Irrigation Contractor
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
What kind of devices are they using in the field to enter the data?
Posted via Mobile Device

We use Verizon Netbooks that are running 3/4G connections. You do not need to run the data plans and we did not until this past year. One of your guys can always find a place with free WiFi to sync if you make changes.

The office and service manager prefer the ability to send messages and make changes to the schedule. Plus, each time the "time in" and "time out" it updates the schedule and shows the office where each tech is located. This helps to see if a tech is running behind or ahead of schedule allowing the office to make better decisions.

We have spent a lot of time setting up our HS. For winterizations, we have it set up to where the tech enters the amount of zones, connections, pumps etc and it automatically calculates the total. The office then just has to review the invoice in QB and it gets emailed out. This was so much easier and allowed the office to bill 100 plus invoices a day in about an hour or so.

You can also put assessments into place. When the tech is completing the work order it may say, "Does the customer have an operational rain gauge" Yes or No, then it will ask, "Did you talk to the customer about this and try to sell them a new unit?"

Based on the answer, this can go on the invoice along with a price just in case the customer was not available at the time of service. I guess there are other options based on some of the OP's comments, so look into them as well. This is our experience with HS and we like the support that we get from HS, so we are rarely shut down.

ldcxyz
02-01-2012, 09:06 AM
we have been using hindsite for years. we have increased the number of service calls per employee by 40% from paper trail days. We use asus netbooks, and have just started using a transformer prime tablet with android app.

JimLewis
02-01-2012, 06:08 PM
we have been using hindsite for years. we have increased the number of service calls per employee by 40% from paper trail days. We use asus netbooks, and have just started using a transformer prime tablet with android app.

Huh??? :rolleyes: Increased 40% just because of Hindsite??? What the hell were you guys doing before? Spending 40% of your day writing hand written invoices??? Our techs spend maybe 20 minutes per day writing up invoices. And if we moved to Hindsite, I'm pretty sure we'd still be spending about that same amount of time.

How the heck do you explain a 40% increase in the # of service calls you can now do with Hindsite? You guys must have been wasting a ridiculous amount of time before.

ldcxyz
02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I guess i should of explained all of the details, which would include office hours in both scheduling and filling out paperwork.

txirrigation
02-01-2012, 08:46 PM

--

I used Hindsite for a while, honestly google calendar is the best. You can set up other users, and the master can set appts. for the other users. It keeps it from cluttering the calendars, and guys only see what they have to do.

Pinched for time, I will go into more detail later.

Sprinkus
02-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Oops, wrong hindsite.

http://www.cell-phone-plans.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/celebrity-pictures-tina-fey-hindsight-dated.jpg

JimLewis
02-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I used Hindsite for a while, honestly google calendar is the best. You can set up other users, and the master can set appts. for the other users. It keeps it from cluttering the calendars, and guys only see what they have to do.

Yah, that's what we have been using for a few years. It's great for scheduling appointments. But that's only 1/20th of what HindSite does.

I like what Hindsite does. I just don't like their pricing structure. Namely the per-month fee.

So for now, we continue to use Google Calender and just paper invoices. Works fairly smoothly for us. At the end of each service call, my techs take about 2 or 3 minutes to write up an invoice, then they go collect a check or credit card, then they are on to their next job. Then at the end of the day or after a couple of days, they drop these invoices w/checks back at the office. It takes the office maybe 2 minutes to type the invoices into Quickbooks using drop down menus and enter the check info. and put the checks in the drawer for deposit later.

Then the invoice goes in a drawer for future reference. 99.5% of the time, we'll never refer back to the [more detailed] paper invoice again. But it's there if we ever need it.

The whole way we do it works pretty smoothly. But there's some add'l data and info. that HindSite provides that would be pretty cool to have. That's the biggest reason I was interested in it.

txirrigation
02-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Yah, that's what we have been using for a few years. It's great for scheduling appointments. But that's only 1/20th of what HindSite does.

I like what Hindsite does. I just don't like their pricing structure. Namely the per-month fee.

So for now, we continue to use Google Calender and just paper invoices. Works fairly smoothly for us. At the end of each service call, my techs take about 2 or 3 minutes to write up an invoice, then they go collect a check or credit card, then they are on to their next job. Then at the end of the day or after a couple of days, they drop these invoices w/checks back at the office. It takes the office maybe 2 minutes to type the invoices into Quickbooks using drop down menus and enter the check info. and put the checks in the drawer for deposit later.

Then the invoice goes in a drawer for future reference. 99.5% of the time, we'll never refer back to the [more detailed] paper invoice again. But it's there if we ever need it.

The whole way we do it works pretty smoothly. But there's some add'l data and info. that HindSite provides that would be pretty cool to have. That's the biggest reason I was interested in it.

Tried and True. That is what we do. I have a spread sheet with the common parts, valves, etc; and they make a tally in each box to keep count of parts.

I charge a flat fee for 1/2, 3/4, 1', etc. It is easier to keep track of than tracking each T, 90, coupler etc.

There is an additional space for misc parts to be written in. I get a credit card # up front before I will send someone to a repair. If customer is not there and we cant service the system I charge $$ for a missed appt. If the customer has a problem with giving a # up front I refer them to someone else.

Did I mention I hate repairs, but it seems the way I treat repairs lets the customer know I mean business and get stuff done.

They also have to sign a waiver explaining that just because we serviced one part of the system does not mean I will take ownership of the whole system.

JimLewis
02-02-2012, 12:59 AM
That's pretty much exactly how we do it, except that we don't take a CC up front. The difference, I think, is that I really do like irrigation service work. It's one of the most profitable parts of our business. We get $110 to show up (covers first hour) and then $70 an hour plus materials (with a really nice markup on them). And I'm trying to keep 2 guys busy just doing irrigation service/repair FT 40 hrs. a week. So if I demanded the customer give us a CC before, I don't think we'd get as many appointments. We wouldn't be able to have as many techs and take on as much work. We can't afford to lose them.

But we do insist on payment on completion. We really prefer the client to be home when we do the work, and most of the time they will accommodate us. But if they can't be there, we make sure to get a phone number where we can reach them so that when we are done we can get a payment (CC over the phone) as soon as the service is completed. We will also usually call and get an okay if it's going to be more than an hour worth of work to fix the problem.

I think you're a little over-worried with the waver thing. We've had a FT 40-55 hour a week service tech. for many years doing several calls each day. I've almost never had a situation where we did some repair work and then the customer wanted to blame us for something else. I mean, there have been a couple of times (maybe 5, over several years) when, after we left, something else quit working. And customers wanted to try to blame us for that. We just politely explain that it was pure coincidence and that we weren't even working with that part of their system. It almost always works out okay, after a little tension. On very rare occasion, we've had to go back and fix something we didn't break just to save our reputation and avoid getting a bad report on Angie's List or the BBB. But that's happened like 2 times maybe, over several years. No big deal. I'd rather have that small % than make everyone sign a waiver.

The overwhelming majority of our service calls go really smoothly.

Dirt Plumber
02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
We have used Hindsite for a couple of seasons, it has some great attributes. Although it would be better if you could run some accurate reports, ( heads repaired, hrs billed for each guy, total visits, etc. We are trying to run reports but some are bizarre, or worthless.

jlouki01
02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Qxpress. You can rent it for less then 50.00 a month.

Been using it going on 5 years now.

DanaMac
02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Qxpress. You can rent it for less then 50.00 a month.

Been using it going on 5 years now.

Same here. But it does no where near what Hindsite does. Forget the rental program. I bought it, not leasing it. Never needed to use their "support". It's ok, but it won't do what I would like it to do, to ease up all the paperwork.

Without A Drought
02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
we just started using a program called asset. the thing is massive and very cumbersome. it has an iphone app that allows the phone to be used in the field.
i hate it so far, but i figure i'm just using it wrong. i see the potential. when i eventually get it figured, it'll handle every step from proposal to billing, with inventory broken down per truck and what's in general stock (not that i keep much).
I gotta set aside a few days this week and dive into it and get it set up so it'll work right for me in the field.

Mike Leary
02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
So, how do you guys enter the fittings, since the suppliers change numbers daily? You want to make your %, but not screw the client.

Az Gardener
02-06-2012, 09:01 PM
We used Hindsight for a full year in 2010 It was expensive and took twice as long to fill out a service report than our simple worksheet did. It got worse when we canceled service and 4-5 months later tried to access some old info and were unable to do so. I lost all the field records for that whole year. Nothing we billed for as that all went to QB but we track all kinds of field info to refine our bidding process and that info is just gone.

I keep thinking at some point I will have accumulated all the info I will need and won't need to do this anymore but I keep finding information that helps us tweak the estimating process. We do upper end resi maint so it can get complicated.

We used Qxpress for a short time but that was way to cumbersome.

I have recently found this app "Sign My Pad Pro" https://market.android.com/details?id=com.autriv.signmypadpro

It looks promising for us as we have a very comprehensive worksheet tailored for the work we do it only takes about 2 min to complete. This app will allow us to complete it digitally and e mail or sync it at the end of the day. Unfortunately it has no accounting component so we will still have to enter the numbers into QB but we already do that. I have to get a pad to try it out.

zman9119
02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
we just started using a program called asset. the thing is massive and very cumbersome. it has an iphone app that allows the phone to be used in the field.
i hate it so far, but i figure i'm just using it wrong. i see the potential. when i eventually get it figured, it'll handle every step from proposal to billing, with inventory broken down per truck and what's in general stock (not that i keep much).
I gotta set aside a few days this week and dive into it and get it set up so it'll work right for me in the field.

We are currently looking at that software package for our company too (since we do more than just irrigation; sadly a $10m company being ran off a FUBAR access database...). It does not look "that" user friendly and that is my concern and we have some very computer stupid users, plus I believe you have to use a 3rd party program to be able to do take-offs with it.

Mike Leary
02-06-2012, 09:47 PM
So, what you guys are doing is trying to minimize time, that's cool. My question would be: is the cost of the software/hardware making you any more money than the old tried and trued method of yellow pads and typewriters? :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
So, what you guys are doing is trying to minimize time, that's cool. My question would be: is the cost of the software/hardware making you any more money than the old tried and trued method of yellow pads and typewriters? :dizzy:I got a typewriter so old, it doesn't have a key for the number one :)

zman9119
02-06-2012, 11:07 PM
So, what you guys are doing is trying to minimize time, that's cool. My question would be: is the cost of the software/hardware making you any more money than the old tried and trued method of yellow pads and typewriters? :dizzy:

Right now for our irrigation department we use Hindsite. Yes the software makes us more money as everything is entered on the site and saved until it is synced versus waiting 3-4 days before the tech comes back to the office and trying to get paperwork and trying to read it, etc. Plus it allows us to look up past history and allows our untrained office staff schedule calls versus having to have on our us in the office all day doing that. It has made my life easier.

Irrigation Contractor
02-08-2012, 12:35 AM

It is for sure is making more money for us. I could write a book on all the benefits of using Hindsite.....for us at least. (4-6 service techs)

- customer history of all services performed
- contact info for homeowner, superintendent, manager, landscaper, maintenance staff etc.
- all parts are entered by the office and prices checked quarterly
- complete on site time records for disputes
- if I pay a tech 10 hours he is billing 10 hours
- work orders from HS to QB with automatic spell check take minutes instead of hours (40 - 80 invoices a day used to take up hours each day of office staff)
- we were able to save on the cost of one office worker last year $$$
- automatic mapping and routing
- having all techs schedules on my screen, office managers screen and service managers screen to check status at a moments notice is a huge plus
- same schedule updates each time the techs time-in and time-out to a job (allows to track each techs progress during the day making emergency calls easier to dispatch)
- when the office receives a call and is scheduling a service the customers account balance immediately shows up on the display screen avoiding possibly performing work for overdue customers
- Also gives the office a chance to decide on whether to question the caller or not as to the status of the account
- no need to call or text a tech when changing or adding his schedule (techs schedule updates each time he syncs his Netbook)
- EVERY part we use is at their finger tips and HS allows the tech to create an estimate on site if needed
- if a tech need to pick up another techs job for any reason it can be done in the field and all the information is in ALL of the techs Netbooks. If it was paper work....what would you do? Yes we used to do that and paper work was constantly lost and never turned in
- support is included and we are very happy with them
- Saves a bunch of trees that need to be irrigated!!!! LOL

Anyway, if you have at least a couple techs it will easily pay for itself. If you are considering HS, call them and request a online demo and make up your mind then.

Good Luck

mitchgo
02-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Maybe I'll ask my boss to start selling his software. I asked our programmer and he told me since my boss paid him to make our specifically designed for irrigation and landscape lighting program, that it is my bosses and not his.

It will typically take me 30-45 minutes per day to complete invoicing. We have many automated messages that we just click to put on the invoice stating what we did .I've been known to write novels to the customer- But I like to be detailed and state things such as
* Replaced 2 rotating sprinkler heads on zone 4 ( Back Lawn) that were leaking. Along with that I also installed smaller nozzles on a few of the other rotors on zone 4 that were over watering. Having done this will ultimately save water and apply water more evenly to this lawn section.

There is no way in hell I would write that out on a paper.

I love computers and they are a 1000% advantage compared to a paper company- time to get with the times

zman9119
02-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Anything that automates processed usually makes them easier.

Switching from my irrigation world to our landscape maintenance department... We have 2 people who all they do retype proposals from our 6 account reps to be sent out, that our sales reps have already typed into their proposal form. We have one person that all she does is enter our hand wrote "dailies" into the computer for our 16 maintenance crews to track hours and their payroll (she doesn't even do the payroll either, just types in hours!). We have one person that all she does is take the written work order and type it into QBs to bill the customer. If using software could eliminate 2-3 of those 4 positions, then I think it is worth it easy.

Mike Leary
02-08-2012, 12:06 PM
All good business sense, the only lag I could see (and it happened to me), is the parts house has raised it's prices and neglected to inform you, thus the caveat, "bill from the invoice". Easier said than done when you want to bill and have not gotten the invoice.:dizzy:

DanaMac
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM
All good business sense, the only lag I could see (and it happened to me), is the parts house has raised it's prices and neglected to inform you, thus the caveat, "bill from the invoice". Easier said than done when you want to bill and have not gotten the invoice.:dizzy:

But most of us buy in advance to keep stocked up, so you shouldn't be buying daily and worrying about the daily price. Plus when we buy, we get our invoice right then and there and can see the price. But with my markups, a few percentages won't hurt if we miss a price change.

Mike Leary
02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
But most of us buy in advance to keep stocked up, so you shouldn't be buying daily and worrying about the daily price. Plus when we buy, we get our invoice right then and there and can see the price. But with my markups, a few percentages won't hurt if we miss a price change.

True, at 45% mark-up, one can afford a % loss, or so. I was guilty, one time, of virtually giving away valve boxes because I used my old numbers. :hammerhead:

DanaMac
02-08-2012, 12:26 PM
using a service like HS, the employees don't need to look up prices. I, as the owner, would enter the data into QB or HS, and it would be in the drop down menu for the component. They just enter quantity.
Mike - if you get some free time :rolleyes: check out the two videos and let us know what you think. One is a little interactive, where you click every now and then. It would be good to hear your initial thoughts, as someone from the typewriter age.
http://www.hindsitesoftware.com/field-service-software-demo.cfm
http://www.hindsitesoftware.com/demo.cfm

Mike Leary
02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
It would be good to hear your initial thoughts, as someone from the typewriter age.

I will. Geez, I miss the smell of "white-out" in the morning.:)

rawtism
02-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Hello My Friend, I know what you are talking about; but you may find some relief in this program: service auto pilot.

Mike Leary
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Hello My Friend, I know what you are talking about; but you may find some relief in this program: service auto pilot.

Welcome to the forum; we're a bunch of startched shirts around here, so a link would be appreciated.:)

hoskm01
02-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Pricing by FIFO or LIFO can change your margin significantly if the commodities price fluctuates drastically.

hoskm01
02-08-2012, 11:12 PM

http://nononprofitspam.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/markasspam.jpg

anglbraun
01-22-2013, 01:35 PM
LOL. If your going to use the "office girl" to send over the workorders from HS to QB - they should have "some" knowledge about the Irrigation field. And I only laugh because I am an "Office gir/ General Mananger/ AR/AP Scheduling/ Human resources and so forth . The software is great. Are you using mobile devices or tablets?

Jobber
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM

--

Hey Jim,

Just wanted to reach out to you to see if you would check us out. Based on what you described above, I think we'd be A LOT cheaper than Hindsite. There is no set up fee and our monthly rates are $29 plus $9 per additional user. That's probably a lot easier to swallow.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also, I think there are a few guys on here running Jobber so maybe they can help you too.

Thanks,

Jeff

JimLewis
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Hey Jim,

Just wanted to reach out to you to see if you would check us out. Based on what you described above, I think we'd be A LOT cheaper than Hindsite. There is no set up fee and our monthly rates are $29 plus $9 per additional user. That's probably a lot easier to swallow.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also, I think there are a few guys on here running Jobber so maybe they can help you too.

Thanks,

Jeff

That looks pretty decent. I'll check that out. We use Google Calendar to schedule all of our jobs, crews, estimates, etc. Does your program sync up with Google Calendar?

Mark B
01-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Out of pure curiosity... Does anyone use some type of analytics, data collecting? The only reason I ask is where I work is all I hear. If so, I would be interested in feedback.

Jobber
01-25-2013, 11:31 PM
That looks pretty decent. I'll check that out. We use Google Calendar to schedule all of our jobs, crews, estimates, etc. Does your program sync up with Google Calendar?

Hi Jim,

It sure does. It is actually amazingly seamless too. Here is a link to our landscaping page: http://getjobber.com/industry/landscaping

You can sign up for a free trial there and take a whirl. We still offer free one on one demos too which I'd recommend but let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jobber
01-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Out of pure curiosity... Does anyone use some type of analytics, data collecting? The only reason I ask is where I work is all I hear. If so, I would be interested in feedback.

Hey Mark,

What kind of analytics do you mean?

Mark B
01-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I have no friggin idea what kind.. Just cause I'm a maintenance guy at the 2nd best place to work in US. Whatever kind SAS sells and delivers.

Jobber
01-26-2013, 12:26 AM
We used Hindsight for a full year in 2010 It was expensive and took twice as long to fill out a service report than our simple worksheet did. It got worse when we canceled service and 4-5 months later tried to access some old info and were unable to do so. I lost all the field records for that whole year. Nothing we billed for as that all went to QB but we track all kinds of field info to refine our bidding process and that info is just gone.

I keep thinking at some point I will have accumulated all the info I will need and won't need to do this anymore but I keep finding information that helps us tweak the estimating process. We do upper end resi maint so it can get complicated.

We used Qxpress for a short time but that was way to cumbersome.

I have recently found this app "Sign My Pad Pro" https://market.android.com/details?id=com.autriv.signmypadpro

It looks promising for us as we have a very comprehensive worksheet tailored for the work we do it only takes about 2 min to complete. This app will allow us to complete it digitally and e mail or sync it at the end of the day. Unfortunately it has no accounting component so we will still have to enter the numbers into QB but we already do that. I have to get a pad to try it out.

Hi AZ,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with software. That really sucks that you lost all that data, I can't even imagine how frustrating that would be. Is that because it is lost forever or they won't let you have access to it?

If you aren't too turned off from software perhaps we could be a fit for you. On the bright side, we are web based meaning there is no chance your information could ever be lost.

If you'd like, you can sign up for a free trial and check it out for yourself.
Definitely let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Jeff

DR01D
01-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Hi Jeff from Jobber,

I've got a question about your software.

I don't schedule my customers by time.
Example: 7:30am to 8:00am

I schedule my customers on a particular day by order.
Example:
1. John Doe
2. Jane Smith
3. Bob Jones

Can I schedule that way in Jobber? A lot of companies with large routes don't use times, they use order.

Thanks!

1idejim
01-30-2013, 02:42 AM
Thank you for supporting our forum. Without sponsors there may not exist such a place for a bunch of cranky old farts and know it alls to gather.

Lawnsite is kinda like a bar, only different!

Thanks and good luck this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jobber
01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you for supporting our forum. Without sponsors there may not exist such a place for a bunch of cranky old farts and know it alls to gather.

Lawnsite is kinda like a bar, only different!

Thanks and good luck this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks 1idejim,

All the best to you this year as well!

Jeff
Jobber

Jobber
01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi Jeff from Jobber,

I've got a question about your software.

I don't schedule my customers by time.
Example: 7:30am to 8:00am

I schedule my customers on a particular day by order.
Example:
1. John Doe
2. Jane Smith
3. Bob Jones

Can I schedule that way in Jobber? A lot of companies with large routes don't use times, they use order.

Thanks!

Hey DRO1D,

Yes, you can schedule jobs for a specific day without a time required. We are currently working on a function that will allow you to order them by location/proximity or in whatever order you prefer. This is literally what our programmers are working on right now so it should be released shortly. However, until then I'd recommend scheduling them without a time or just using generic half hour blocks as a stop-gap.

Thanks,
Jeff

DR01D
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks Jeff that's great news!

Some companies schedule by time but a lot of companies like pool and landscaping companies schedule customers by order. This is especially true if the crew has a large route.