PDA

View Full Version : favorite backpack sprayers

grassmasterswilson
08-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Looking to upgrade my backpacks. I need some for apps of herbicides, incecticides, and fungicides. I also need one for roundup in beds and driveway cracks on the mowing side.

I've always been a solo man, but willing to give another a try. I don't have access to Lesco though. Piston? Diaphragm? traditional style or the "euro" style?

bug-guy
08-13-2011, 09:42 AM
this is the one i like

http://www.shindaiwa.com/en/products_2/sprayers/sp415.php

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I swapped from Solo to Stihl about 2 years ago. Everything is outside the tank if you have to work on it, which I haven't. Have 3 of them with no issues. I did swap the cone tips out with brass flat fan tips.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
08-13-2011, 10:25 AM
I use redmax and they are great. I'm sure you will find the shindy and echo good too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
08-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Echo MS-50. We have 4 of them. We've used them for 3 yrs and done nothing but lubricate them 1-2 times per yr. We use them to spot spray etc... about 20 lawns per day. Through the years, I've used Solo, Stihl and a few other lesser brands and I see no reason at this point to buy any other brand for anything other than spraying cracks in sidewalks and driveways. These Echos have been the best I have ever used...hands down.

Ric
08-13-2011, 12:56 PM
this is the one i like

http://www.shindaiwa.com/en/products_2/sprayers/sp415.php

Yo

I have several Shindawa BP that are older than dirt and still working with all the original parts. I also have a few in the Barn for parts.

But I am super Happy with the SRS 600 Shurflo electric BP and the Support That Shurflo gives even the fact I bought it off of E bay. I had trouble and call Customer Technical Support. They send me the guts of the Back pack at No Charge and No Hassles. It works great now. I am looking to buy a few of this model.

vencops
08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
I've got two SP System backpacks and two Stihl SG 20's. I like the SP's good enough. But, I don't like the way I have to unhook the pump handle and turn it - when I put it in my trailer rack (otherwise, the handle sticks out). I think the SP's are solid, though.

I like the Stihl. But, the stock pistol/wand/tip are crap (IMO). I replaced them with the SP Syst. pistol/brass wand/brass tip. Working fine, so far.

ted putnam
08-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I really liked the SG20 I had for the year and a half that I had it. It seemed to be great. Then one day the seals on the exterior brass pump failed. I tried to order parts online and was unable to(only distributed through dealers) So I went to a dealer and they ordered the parts. I could never get it to work properly for more than a day or 2 again.I reworked it 4 or 5 times over a period of a couple of weeks and gave up. That's when I bought the first Echo we have. The handle stows easily inline with the unit so it fits nicely into truck mounted racks of all kinds. I've heard the old Shindaiwas are awesome but the newer models...not so awesome. I'd like to get an electric backpack like Ric has to spray fungicides. I think either that or a gas powered unit like Greendoctor uses would probably keep a much more consistent pressure and be more accurate when accuracy is necessary for larger "patches" that sometimes need to be sprayed. For the mostly spot spraying that I do, I have been extremely happy with what I've got and at this point would not think of switching. JMO

Ric
08-13-2011, 03:04 PM
I really liked the SG20 I had for the year and a half that I had it. It seemed to be great. Then one day the seals on the exterior brass pump failed. I tried to order parts online and was unable to(only distributed through dealers) So I went to a dealer and they ordered the parts. I could never get it to work properly for more than a day or 2 again.I reworked it 4 or 5 times over a period of a couple of weeks and gave up. That's when I bought the first Echo we have. The handle stows easily inline with the unit so it fits nicely into truck mounted racks of all kinds. I've heard the old Shindaiwas are awesome but the newer models...not so awesome. I'd like to get an electric backpack like Ric has to spray fungicides. I think either that or a gas powered unit like Greendoctor uses would probably keep a much more consistent pressure and be more accurate when accuracy is necessary for larger "patches" that sometimes need to be sprayed. For the mostly spot spraying that I do, I have been extremely happy with what I've got and at this point would not think of switching. JMO

Ted

I believe the SRS 600 is more for solutions than heavy suspensions. Cleaning them after each use is must with suspensions and they will clog real easy.

greendoctor
08-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Which is one of the reasons why I chose gas engines and stainless steel plunger pumps as the mode of operation for a backpack sprayer. I also chose brands that do not restrict parts sales to storefront dealers only. Almost everything I run through my machines is either a wettable powder or DG or the worst is the fertilizer. That is normally a 1 lb/gallon solution of ammonium sulfate + iron. I am not taking bets on how long an electric diaphragm pump will last when it is asked to handle those kinds of fluids every day of the week all day long.

Consistent pressure and volume is another big plus for going gas. It comes in very handy for treating trees and shrubs. I do not need to fill and start my skid sprayer if it is only one or two trees. That can be done with the backpack sprayer and the two handed tree gun. The twin nozzle shrub and hedge wand does its best work at 100 PSI or more and 2 GPM feeding it. Can't get that kind of output from a manual backpack sprayer. Not even an SP. The 160 PSI pressure they talk about is static pressure. With the right nozzle set, I get 200 PSI from the engine drive sprayers.

gregory
08-13-2011, 03:58 PM
i have 2 sps600 one just for round up. i've had them for few years now work great but i dont use mine everyday...

greendoc's setup is no joke...