PDA

View Full Version : welding blades

larryinalabama
08-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Does anyone weld nicks in their blades befofe sharpening them? I have had a friend doing it for me and it has added life to a few blades so Im debating weathe or not to buy a welder.

Darryl G
08-13-2011, 11:53 AM
It never occured to me to weld my blades. I'd think it could do more harm then good (warp them or ruin the temper) but that's just my first impression...I'm open to new ideas.

bmc1025
08-13-2011, 12:07 PM
I weld the tips if they wear faster or I get lazy sharpening. I don't weld the nicks closer to to the center of the blades but I may start.

Exact Rototilling
08-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Snapper Jack
08-13-2011, 01:25 PM
If I'm mowing unknown territory,then I'll slap on some stand by welded up blades to avoid ruining a good set of blades.

Doc Pete
08-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Every landscaper show have a welder for equipment repairs. As far as the blades, you should buy "Hard Facing" mig wire and weld the edge of the blades, then grind them. Hard facing will bump the Hardness up to 50 to 55 Rockwell hardness. They'll last much longer between sharpening.

Snapper Jack
08-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Every landscaper show have a welder for equipment repairs. As far as the blades, you should buy "Hard Facing" mig wire and weld the edge of the blades, then grind them. Hard facing will bump the Hardness up to 50 to 55 Rockwell hardness. They'll last much longer between sharpening.
Never knew hard facing mig wire existed, that and I never really thought of searching for it ,so thanks for the tip.

David Haggerty
08-14-2011, 07:42 AM
I've tried welding the edges of blades but gave it up. But with what you all post, I'm going to try it again.

Snapper Jack
08-14-2011, 07:13 PM
I've tried welding the edges of blades but gave it up. But with what you all post, I'm going to try it again. Nothing hard about it,just take your time building up areas with the filler.Just stitch weld it,then grind after cool down (of course you'll have to find your zone with amperage and wire feed settings)

txgrassguy
08-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Okay, I'll play devils advocate here - question:
Will your General Liability Insurance cover the injury or damage to private property if a blade comes apart that has been welded?
It hasn't happened often but I have had blades separate and fly out from under the mower.
The debris shield took a beating but kept that piece from ejecting far enough away from the machine to impale a person or damage property.
You might just want to look at what coverages your G.L. policy covers you for regarding non standard alterations to equipment.
I pull regular maintenance on my reciprocating mowers to include routine blade sharpening and replacement. After eight hours or a damage event, the blades are replaced with ground/balanced ones.
I ask as I know my $two million policy sure as hell won't.

grassman177
08-14-2011, 11:11 PM
sounds like a bad idea to me, if they are that nicked up then they are trash, and you should watch what you are mowing.

olaf valle
08-15-2011, 12:21 AM
can someone post a pic of the blades welded

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-15-2011, 12:44 AM
can someone post a pic of the blades welded

subscribed for these.

THEGOLDPRO
08-15-2011, 01:04 AM
i just throw them out when they are worn down.

David Haggerty
08-15-2011, 09:12 AM
non standard alterations to equipment.

Once you buy a welder nothing is "standard equipment" anymore . I've modified everything I own.
In Germany it takes something like seven years to get a custom built motorcycle licensed for the street. In the U.S. you can build a trailer and declare it "homebuilt" and license it with nobody even looking at it.

Besides over 99% of the time you're only sued to the amount of your liability insurance. Want to make yourself a bigger target? Carry more insurance. I dropped my liability from 3 mil to 1 mil. Cincinnati Milacron stipulated 3 mil liability. Lost the job, lost the coverage.

And as far as watching what you're mowing....With 7 blades at 7 MPH I don't get to see everything that goes under the deck. Most times I hear it though. I can tell the difference between limestone and a golf ball from the sound they make when I mow 'em.

I know you guys are trying to be helpful, but let's take a step from "the perfect world" into "the real world."

larryinalabama
08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
i just throw them out when they are worn down.

Were just talking about welding the nicks so you dont have to grind som much off to sharpen them. Eventually the wing of the blade will wear down and its time for new ones.

THEGOLDPRO
08-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Ah i see, I suppose i never thought to fill the nicks in with weld to prolong the life of the blades. I did however just pull a set of blades off one of our machines that had a massive nick in it. Maybe ill fire up the welder and see what happings.

txgrassguy
08-15-2011, 12:55 PM
David, your comment about welding equipment then making it non-standard isn't completely accurate.
The tenor of my post deals with altering the characteristic of a highly stressed part.
Now, to some of you guys that are certified welders and can testify that the work performed to a blade didn't damage it may have some room in your G.L. policy.
I am not a certified welder and for the price of a new blade the risk and trouble welding the blade just isn't worth it to me.
The easiest and most cost effective way to limit damage to blades is following the sharpening/balancing I "face" the leading edge to remove the thin leading edge.
End result is my blades perform better longer between change out and viewing the turf through a prism showed no discernible difference between a blade with a thin leading edge and one uniformly faced about 1/16th to 3/16th thick.

bmc1025
08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
David, your comment about welding equipment then making it non-standard isn't completely accurate.
The tenor of my post deals with altering the characteristic of a highly stressed part.
Now, to some of you guys that are certified welders and can testify that the work performed to a blade didn't damage it may have some room in your G.L. policy.
I am not a certified welder and for the price of a new blade the risk and trouble welding the blade just isn't worth it to me.
The easiest and most cost effective way to limit damage to blades is following the sharpening/balancing I "face" the leading edge to remove the thin leading edge.
End result is my blades perform better longer between change out and viewing the turf through a prism showed no discernible difference between a blade with a thin leading edge and one uniformly faced about 1/16th to 3/16th thick.

3/16??? Some of the blades we use are 3/16 thick why put an edge on them a all, if they perform with out one?

rogerdodger
08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I read this thread and others and ...... Why would you weld a lawn mower blade that turns 36000 rpms more or less? This metal alloy is designed to pit and not brake off and become a projectile!!!!

If you are just a home owner, I hope your kids or grandkids are made to stay in doors while you mow and if you mow commercially, I hope you have a lot of Insurance. This is scary to say the least.

Snapper Jack
08-15-2011, 09:20 PM
What is up with all this ridiculous commotion of welding lawn mower blades,for crying out loud all you doing is filling the little nicks that occur from hitting rocks,ect,your not using the blade for structural rigidity,you're simply filling in the voided areas. I've been welding up my blades some twenty years and have yet to kill any immediate family members,next door neighbors,friends pets,low flying birds,snakes,etc. It's obvious some of you have no mechanical skills at all and I can understand your concerns and if you did attempt to weld up your own blades,then I would be concerned for the safety of others but don't seat behind your key boards and judge those who have the skills and experience in welding to repair their own personal equipment rather than outsourcing it.

larryinalabama
08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
What is up with all this ridiculous commotion of welding lawn mower blades,for crying out loud all you doing is filling the little nicks that occur from hitting rocks,ect,your not using the blade for structural rigidity,you're simply filling in the voided areas. I've been welding up my blades some twenty years and have yet to kill any immediate family members,next door neighbors,friends pets,low flying birds,snakes,etc. It's obvious some of you have no mechanical skills at all and I can understand your concerns and if you did attempt to weld up your own blades,then I would be concerned for the safety of others but don't seat behind your key boards and judge those who have the skills and experience in welding to repair their own personal equipment rather than outsourcing it.

I agree, but with some of the post I may try and do some very low cost mowing for some people whom I dont really care for. LOL

Snapper Jack
08-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I agree, but with some of the post I may try and do some very low cost mowing for some people whom I dont really care for. LOL
Just make sure the penetration is low:laugh:

larryinalabama
08-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Just make sure the penetration is low:laugh:

Thats what they use to tell us in high school shop class...........

Sammy
08-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Why bother welding them.
Waste of time. Just sharpen and go.

David Haggerty
08-16-2011, 08:36 AM
OK, I checked with my local welding supply house for some "hard faced" welding wire. It only comes in .045 size and my mini-mig welder can only handle .030 and works best with .023
Plus it costs $15/lb.

It really ain't worth it to weld the nicks with mild steel. Have you noticed how hard mower blades are? You can't hardly drill a hole in them. A weld with mild steel don't even come close.

So I guess I'm back to just sharpening.

Thanks for the info though.

Dave

rogerdodger
08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
What is up with all this ridiculous commotion of welding lawn mower blades

WHEW!!!! I have seen men walk a beam 100 feet in the air with no safety belt, their answer I aint never fell before and I am being careful. I have heard men bragg about driving 100mph on the interstate, no ticket or accident, well all it takes is one.

This baffles my mind and I am 64 yrs of age, I have seen a lot of things, accidents, accidents waiting to happen, stupid stunts of the young etc. But welding blades?? come on. this is a joke right?

Patriot Services
08-16-2011, 09:16 PM
For the love of pete people. Blades are a low cost on your consumable list. Buy quality blades learn how to sharpen them. Replace when worn out or get bent (blades that is ). At least the guy that was brazing pieces of skilsaw blades isn't on here.
Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH
08-16-2011, 09:41 PM

WHEW!!!! I have seen men walk a beam 100 feet in the air with no safety belt, their answer I aint never fell before and I am being careful. I have heard men bragg about driving 100mph on the interstate, no ticket or accident, well all it takes is one.

This baffles my mind and I am 64 yrs of age, I have seen a lot of things, accidents, accidents waiting to happen, stupid stunts of the young etc. But welding blades?? come on. this is a joke right?

This is the kind of post you get when you don't read the actual post. NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT WELDING BLADES!!!!!!

Patriot Services
08-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Does anyone weld nicks in their blades befofe sharpening them? I have had a friend doing it for me and it has added life to a few blades so Im debating weathe or not to buy a welder.

R u sure this thread isn't about welding on blades?
Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH
08-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

A large nick would be say 1/8" long and what maybe 1/32 deep. This is not about welding blades. Welding on blades, yes. But that kind of welding is not going to fly apart and do any damage let alone kill somebody. Y'all's just be'in ignant.

larryinalabama
08-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

All this tred is about is filling in nicks on the cutting edge of mower blades so you dont have to grind som much off to get the serface you want when sharpening.

Naturally if all our accounts were perfect a blade would never get nicked, and would only need to be sharpened.

I would never try to weld a broken or cracked blede, unless it was for my bushhog and personal use

BINKY1902
08-17-2011, 12:57 AM

They are just using the welding wire/rod as filler, they aren't cutting blades in half and welding them back together or nothing.:)

Snapper Jack
08-17-2011, 06:08 AM
OK, I checked with my local welding supply house for some "hard faced" welding wire. It only comes in .045 size and my mini-mig welder can only handle .030 and works best with .023
Plus it costs $15/lb.

It really ain't worth it to weld the nicks with mild steel. Have you noticed how hard mower blades are? You can't hardly drill a hole in them. A weld with mild steel don't even come close.

So I guess I'm back to just sharpening.

Thanks for the info though.

Dave
You really need a good 220V welder for that hard-face filler and the smallest reel you can buy is 10lbs,so it would be quite expensive just to fill those deep necks in. The bad thing about using HF is it becomes quite brittle making that fill in area non impact resistance which could cause that filling to break upon impact"Not GooD". I'll stick to standard mig wire,since it's given me the best results and hey don't you just love opening up a can of worms:rolleyes: Be safe and don't do anything stupid:laugh::laugh::laugh:Later:waving: