PDA

View Full Version : 36" Bunton Hydro - wheel speeds

tomwalshco
08-13-2011, 01:36 PM
No matter how I adjust the controls on this dude, the right wheel always outruns the left, both forward & reverse. Think something is clogging the left unit, but I'm a bit leery of opening it up for fear of ruining a gasket or ring or putting it back together incorrectly.

No leaks, good fluid levels, belt is good. Think it's around '96 vintage.

Any tips or guidance here? Thanks a bunch.

Restrorob
08-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Here's a post I made a few years back; http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1987834&postcount=2

Also check tire pressure and measure the tire outside diameter, I've seen inner tire cords split causing the tire to grow larger.

tomwalshco
08-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks, good post. The slop, I guess, is fixed with new parts, bushings, fittings, etc. I'll bet I pay dearly for that stuff.

This is my first walk-behind and I really love it over my commercial rider/tractor. It's a beast. Where my 18hp twin would bog down in tall, wet zoysia, this thing doesn't even breathe hard. Kawasaki 14hp.

Restrorob
08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
love it over my commercial rider/tractor.

"Commercial" rider/tractor ?

What brand ?

tomwalshco
08-13-2011, 06:25 PM
And I guess another question would be - worth it to dump the hydro oil and replace + new filter? Looks pretty clear on a dowel I stick in the reservoir.

tomwalshco
08-13-2011, 06:27 PM
"Commercial" rider/tractor ?

What brand ?

Yard Machines (MTD) 42" I/C 18hp Briggs twin. Retired because I have tranny (hydro) linkage problems to work out.

Restrorob
08-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Yard Machines (MTD) 42"

I'll leave that alone......

If you don't know when the fluid or filter was changed last it wouldn't hurt to do it, Then you can keep track of when it needs to be done again.

Word of caution; Don't go to your local auto parts store with the old filter and let them match you up one. Auto filters have a anti-drainback valve with-in that will stop fluid flow in a hydro system, Make sure the replacement is a free flowing design.

tomwalshco
08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I've probably cut 1500 big yards with that MTD. Engine still strong and cuts good. I must have bent the linkage somewhere down the line. Will probably tinker with it over the winter.

Gotcha on the filter and fluid. The Wix site said O'Reilly's stocks them. We'll see...Has a NAPA hydro filter in there now. It may be gummed up, too.