PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Replacement

LawnBoy84
08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
How many labor hours (by the book) does it take to replace a camshaft in a 14hp ohv briggs & stratton motor?? Model num# 280H07 0166-E1.. Its on a 2004-06 Toro Timecutter 14.38z. I have a local mobile mechanic that can do the job, but I'm trying to find out what the book says about labor hours.. Thx..

newz7151
08-13-2011, 03:12 PM
these times do not include time to R&R engine when needed from whatever it is on.

LawnBoy84
08-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Thx for your help. I'm not really understanding which series engine I have, but the average is about 1 1/2 hrs it says. If anyone else has any other helpful info such as the labor hours including taking motor off mower (by the book) plz add... Thx.

Restrorob
08-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Time depends on the ability of the person doing the R&R.....

Here's my take on "Book Time".

Book Time is set as a guide mostly for warranty repair purposes so OEM's can determine how much to pay their dealers.

The OEM's set up a fully equipped ac/heated work area and bring in their own experienced people that know the unit's inside out, They pull a brand new machine off the assembly line then start tearing it apart while noting how long it takes for each step.

Give these same people a machine that's been used/abused and beat on out in the field for 3-4 years and I'll bet their times would double easily. With rusted/busted and mixed up/wrong/stripped fasteners I've seen in machines there's no way I stick to book time, And anyone in this repair business can loose their azz if they do.

Time starts when the unit is driven/pushed or dragged into my work area and stopped when it's moved outside for pick-up.

I'd charge 2.5 to 3 hrs or more depending on how I feel at the time.....

topsites
08-13-2011, 10:35 PM
From what I have seen it's about the same to just buy a new engine, and there's reason for that as well.

Restrorob
08-13-2011, 11:22 PM
From what I have seen it's about the same to just buy a new engine

Tops,

MSRP;

Cam $77.95
Sump Gskt. $4.95
Seal PTO $4.60
Oil $7.00

$94.50
Freight $10.00

$104.50 plus tax on parts....

Going extreme with 4 hrs labor @ $75.00 per

$404.50 plus tax to repair as opposed to MSRP of $1031.50 plus truck freight and tax for a replacement engine and still have the $300 for installation......

I see quite a bit of savings in repairing as long as the engine wasn't smoking/burning oil and running fine before the cam took a dump.....

LawnBoy84
08-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Yes repair is the way to go. I was just wondering book time because my mechanic said he would only charge my half of the hours. He knows his stuff and is only chargeing me $50 an hour. So between parts and labor from the info you guys have helped me with its looking like $225 on the low end and $325 on the high end. Way better then buying a new motor. Plus this motor only has 20hrs on it. Thx for everyone's input/help and Happy Mowing!!!

topsites
08-14-2011, 07:14 AM
No, and I don't mean to scare you folks but the expense doesn't relate to one time repairs gone well,
where it gets expensive is when these performance critical internal engine repairs don't turn out the way
they're supposed to and three weeks from today you've got yourself the same non-running engine, that's
where things take a turn for the worse.

The reason I mention it is because failures happen the most with these type of performance critical repairs,
seen it happen more than once with rebuilds, no matter how I look at it, to me rebuilding the inside of an engine
is a bit like throwing a kit at a carburetor, when it works, great.

Which, I'm the first to admit, I'll throw a kit at a carburetor too, and seeing how you say your mechanic is good and you trust him
I believe you're making the right choice, but that wasn't clear until now and the above was the reason why I said what I did.

Oh, and it's an engine, not a motor.
Never cared much for the mechanic "book" hours either.
Anyhow...