PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix this....?

Steiner
08-13-2011, 06:03 PM
A regular hardscape customer asked me to look at fixing the front pre-cast concrete step. I usually don't do these types of repairs so I will ask the pro's here.

They are selling the house shortly and are in need of a quick durable repair.

My thoughts are as follows (easiest to most involved):

1. Use constructions adhesive and a clamp after etching both surfaces.
2. Use sika product or epoxy to bind the two? (ANY SUGGESTIONS ON PRODUCTS HERE?)
3. Use hammer drill and anchors while trying not to split delicate piece.
4. Reform and pour entire chipped corner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-Chris

SVA_Concrete
08-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Quick setting epoxy, single tube style available at a box store.

squirt, hold, and done.

you could reform and pour with a repair mortar but since you have the piece you might as well epoxy it back on.

DVS Hardscaper
08-13-2011, 09:27 PM
rusty old handrail.

crumbeling risers.

and they're worried bout that?

zedosix
08-14-2011, 12:16 PM

squirt, hold, and done.

you could reform and pour with a repair mortar but since you have the piece you might as well epoxy it back on.

exactly, since these stairs are ready to be changed anyway. Pl premium would work as well. $5 a tube and 5 mins of your time.

GroundOneMN
08-14-2011, 12:21 PM
My two cents, tear out and re-pour. Why because if i was a perspective homeowner look at the house and that's the first thing i saw was a "quick fix" i would be leery of the work in the house.

rlitman
08-14-2011, 01:09 PM
While that tiny piece is not structural for the staircase, it appears to be important to the anchoring of that newel post. If you just glue it back together and that railing falls over hurting someone, you may be in for some trouble.

As for PL premium, that's a one part adhesive, and if the bond depth is more than 1/2" you need a 2 part adhesive (this is sold in a single tube, with one-time-use mixing tips for convenience), but I'm not suggesting you glue that piece back on, because of the post mentioned above (otherwise, I'd be onboard, although it is a bit of a hack job).

DVS Hardscaper
08-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Some houses are fixer uppers and are ment to be sold as is.

Posted via Mobile Device

joes169
08-14-2011, 02:16 PM

squirt, hold, and done.

This is the best answer to the problem.

If you want to take a little more preventive measure, caulk or grout around the railing to minimize water entering the hole, and rusting the railing even more, which is what makes that corner fail in the first place.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I would use concrete adhesive and the a sealer to seal the crack so its less visiable.