PDA

View Full Version : Boom sprayed 3 acres of asphalt.

lawn king
08-14-2011, 06:53 AM
I boom sprayed a parking lot for an amc movie theater saturday. The asphalt is acient, full of cracks and crabgrass. Easy money, i hope they never repave!

vencops
08-14-2011, 08:19 AM
I've got one of those.

What did you end up spraying?

lawn king
08-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Roundup with sticker.

R & R Yard Designs
08-14-2011, 02:09 PM
King can you get back to me I need to pick your mind about tractors.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-14-2011, 02:46 PM
King

Good for you and I believe this ties in with some of the ROW (Right Of Way) talk in a couple of other threads. I believe any time you can sell a job out side the box, You are going to make money. Niche Markets are out there, But don't confuse NEED for DEMAND. It is Demand that pays.

Big difference is you used a Boom and the other threads were about Boom-less. I am of the school that does Herbicides spraying as controlled as possible. Therefore I don't believe in Boom-less Herbicide spraying. I do Blanket spray insecticides for Ants, Fleas, & Ticks Etc Etc.

rcreech
08-14-2011, 05:16 PM
King

Big difference is you used a Boom and the other threads were about Boom-less. I am of the school that does Herbicides spraying as controlled as possible. Therefore I don't believe in Boom-less Herbicide spraying. I do Blanket spray insecticides for Ants, Fleas, & Ticks Etc Etc.

I am not sure I follow your post here Ric. Can you explain why you don't like boomless tips?

Are you saying that a boomless application is not controlled?

Our ride ons that are boomless do a fine job compared to our boom nozles. I have 3 machines with booms and 2 machines that are boomless.

When on larger properties I too use a boom just because I can go wider (14 ft) but I wouldn't question the quality of boomless vs boom.

The efficacy of the application is there and off target application is not an issue. We spray up to 8 mph with both boom and boomless. After that it starts to get a little scary.

Just curious if you could explain why you don't like boomless applications.

:)

Ric
08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
I am not sure I follow your post here Ric. Can you explain why you don't like boomless tips?

Are you saying that a boomless application is not controlled?

Our ride ons that are boomless do a fine job compared to our boom nozles. I have 3 machines with booms and 2 machines that are boomless.

When on larger properties I too use a boom just because I can go wider (14 ft) but I wouldn't question the quality of boomless vs boom.

The efficacy of the application is there and off target application is not an issue. We spray up to 8 mph with both boom and boomless. After that it starts to get a little scary.

Just curious if you could explain why you don't like boomless applications.

RC

Good to see you posting again.

IMHO Boom-less nozzles are more prone to Drift and over spray than Booms. They also can vary in distances depending on the pump speed and tank volume. I prefer booms for herbicides and the Ric-A-Green has a boom only 10 inches off the ground and 3 nozzles to cover 42 inches at 20 psi. True it is not the Fastest thing around. With 2 and 3 thousand Sq Ft yards I don't need a fast machine. I need a more precise machine I want something that delivers Contacts as well as systemic pesticides

vencops
08-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Interesting.

lawn king
08-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Feel free to pm me with any tractor questions.

rcreech
08-14-2011, 11:37 PM
RC

Good to see you posting again.

IMHO Boom-less nozzles are more prone to Drift and over spray than Booms. They also can vary in distances depending on the pump speed and tank volume. I prefer booms for herbicides and the Ric-A-Green has a boom only 10 inches off the ground and 3 nozzles to cover 42 inches at 20 psi. True it is not the Fastest thing around. With 2 and 3 thousand Sq Ft yards I don't need a fast machine. I need a more precise machine I want something that delivers Contacts as well as systemic pesticides

I can see where you would think that...but honestly we rarely have any issues with off target applications with boomless tips.

And we do a ton of spraying.

You have to be careful with both as far as that goes.

It all comes down to large droplet size and pressure etc.

I do like the boom don't get me wrong but the boomless has its place.

Got two machines with boomless tips and love them!

rcreech
08-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

King can help ya but let me know if you have any questions also.

We run tractors a lot and I farm.

We run two Deeres (3320 and 3520) and a Kubota (B3030). http://www.lawnsite.com/album.php?albumid=263&pictureid=4146

I can give you to goods and bads of most!

lawn king
08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
I have used kubotas for the past 11 years, owned a 3030 from 05 -08. I know nothing about deere, never used them due to there extreme weight.

Ric
08-15-2011, 12:12 PM
King can help ya but let me know if you have any questions also.

We run tractors a lot and I farm.

We run two Deeres (3320 and 3520) and a Kubota (B3030). http://www.lawnsite.com/album.php?albumid=263&pictureid=4146

I can give you to goods and bads of most!

RC

I am old school and fine it easier to trust a boom for Herbicide spraying.

Do you have Combins or do you use Custom Contractors to harvest for you???

Lawn King

I had 3030 but only used it for Landscape install and never sprayed with it. Kind of sorry I sold it now, but it would only be a toy in my operation now. I used it mostly for planting trees and some grade work, but I am not a heavy Equipment operator when it comes to grading, That is a real skill.

rcreech
08-15-2011, 05:36 PM
I have used kubotas for the past 11 years, owned a 3030 from 05 -08. I know nothing about deere, never used them due to there extreme weight.

Extreme weight????

I am not sure what L Series unit you have but the specs I found are 2600-3000#. The John Deere series I have weigh 2800-3000#

1) Where is this extreme difference you discuss
2) If you are SO worried about your weight then why did you add a 300-400+ lb cab?

I have owned my B3030 since 2005 and it is a nice unit but now that I have the two Deeres it is the last unit to get used.

As far as build, power and comfort...the JD's are built much better and much more comfortable.

That is coming from a guy that OWNS BOTH COLORS!

Also coming from a guy that was raised on red tractors and hated John Deere.

Not trying to start a tractor war but I can show examples as I have in the past such as front end, lift arms, seat etc.

rcreech
08-15-2011, 05:42 PM
RC

I am old school and fine it easier to trust a boom for Herbicide spraying.

Do you have Combins or do you use Custom Contractors to harvest for you???

Understand what you are saying!

I like having the option to use both. That way we can use the right equipment for the job.

We own our own combine.

In this part of the country custom harvesting is hard to find.

Even on smaller farms like mine it is cheaper to own your own equipment over time even with fuel and maintenance cost.

Our machine is a 1995 model and is worth about $45,000
A new combine today can range from $300-450,000

What they have to charge to cover their expense is much more!

If we had our acres custom harvested it would cost us a little over $10,000 a year.

lawn king
08-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Kubota tractors are much lighter than deere tractors of the same hp, im not knocking deere, just saying they are heavy! As far as the cab, i do snow with my machine, need i say more?

rcreech
08-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Kubota tractors are much lighter than deere tractors of the same hp, im not knocking deere, just saying they are heavy! As far as the cab, i do snow with my machine, need i say more?

King,

You said it "Kubota tractors are much lighter than deere tractors"...because as I have stated on here before that they are BUILT lighter.

When I used to run my seeder with my B3030 I couldn't keep the front end on the ground and could barely turn on the ends and had to add 350lb to the front of it. It also stalls when in uneven ground. I have even broken two lift arms on the 3 point.

The Deere is slightly larger but similar horses...and shows the seeder who is boss!!
The front end is built like a tank and is heavier and the lift arms are almost 30% larger.

First off...you say you worry about how heavy a tractor is...but your tractor weighs the same as mine.

How in the heck can you compare weights and hp?

There is a total overlap on hp and series with almost every brand.

Look at Kubota for example. Both the B series and the L series off lower 30 hp units.

So how can you compare hp and weight? Then cross over because every brand has slightly different series sizes.

And one of the main reasons I went with Deere to start with was I needed a tractor between the B and L series and the 33 and 35 was perfect as they were smaller then an L yet had tons more power then a B.

How can you even compare weights across brands?

I have never really heard of anyone even worry about weight when looking at a tractor. I didn't even have a clue what any of my tractors weighed. I had to look it up because I have never worried about it.

lawn king
08-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Yes kubotas are built lighter than deere, on purpose! The primary use on my tractor is working on pristine turf not farming.Weight is a big deal when working on athletic fields in wet spring conditions! When i purchased the grand l, it was the only tractor that could give me the pto hp,3 point & fel lift capacities that i wanted in the weight range i was willing to accept. The closest deere that could give me the same numbers i wanted was hundreds of pounds heavier, so were the cadets,new hollands,cats,etc! I dont know what your problem is in comparing weight to hp in tractors, nor do i care, so with all due respect could please you get off my back?

rcreech
08-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Yes kubotas are built lighter than deere, on purpose! The primary use on my tractor is working on pristine turf not farming.Weight is a big deal when working on athletic fields in wet spring conditions! When i purchased the grand l, it was the only tractor that could give me the pto hp,3 point & fel lift capacities that i wanted in the weight range i was willing to accept. The closest deere that could give me the same numbers i wanted was hundreds of pounds heavier, so were the cadets,new hollands,cats,etc! I dont know what your problem is in comparing weight to hp in tractors, nor do i care, so with all due respect could please you get off my back?

You started out saying Deeres had "extreme weight" now you are talking hundreds of pounds!

Come on!

:laugh:

What do you think that I use my 3 - 30hp tractors for? 100% Turf

I dont use them on the farm as they are only used on residential lawns and I take care of close to 60 acres of athletic fields!!

I guess if you are just carrying a 3 pt sprayer and a bush hog then you probably couldn't tell a difference.

Hang a heavy Land Pride seeder on the back or need power to run a Harley Rake...then compare them and let me know what you think.

Point is...you spoke out of turn. You like orange better and that is ok but don't blame it on weight!

lawn king
08-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Deeres weigh more, that is my point, as you go up in hp the difference in weight becomes more extreme! I do think kubota is superior to deere in up to 40 hp machines. Those green tractors may say deere but they are built by yanmar?

Hogjaw
08-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Boom - good job - congrat on parking lot.

I boom sprayed a parking lot for an amc movie theater saturday. The asphalt is acient, full of cracks and crabgrass. Easy money, i hope they never repave!

rcreech
08-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Those green tractors may say deere but they are built by yanmar?

Once again you are totally WRONG!!

John Deere's are not MADE by Yanmar...however the 30 Series among others do run Yanmar Diesels and they are studly!

Please back up you post if you can!
:laugh:

The manufacturer of the 3320 and 3520 is JOHN DEERE

Come on King...you are a great guy but please quit digging this whole that you are in!

rcreech
08-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Those green tractors may say deere but they are built by yanmar?

Lawn King

Since u r talk n trash can u please try and back it?

Thanks,
Rod
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
08-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Third and final call Lawn King!

You stated at the beginning of this thread that John Deeres had extreme weight over Kubota and also at the end that John Deeres were made by Yanmar.

I am awaiting your proof to support Yanmar makes John Deere but I take it you can't find it! :)

Next time please think before you type!

RC

lawn king
08-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Kubota tractors are lighter thats a fact. Deere powers many of their cut with yanmar diesels, fact. This thread is about spraying asphalt,also a fact. If you want to argue about tractors, take it over to tractorbynet or go find another thread to antagonise someone else!

rcreech
08-28-2011, 06:32 PM
You said that Deeres were "built by Yanmar"

You were wrong

Backpedal all u want there buddy

U were talk n trash and got caught!

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn king
08-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Yes deere builds all their own tractors right? Those are some real beautys over at the home depot.The pride & joy of john deere im sure!

CHARLES CUE
08-28-2011, 09:43 PM
You said that Deeres were "built by Yanmar"

You were wrong

Backpedal all u want there buddy

U were talk n trash and got caught!

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Well my 990 JD tractor is built buy Yammer has a tag right on it

They come shipped with no tires They have American made rims and tires on it

JD does use some Yammer motors in there smaller tractors

Sorry couldn't resist

Must be tough ever time you get on here you just can't just have fun

Charles Cue

rcreech
08-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes deere builds all their own tractors right? Those are some real beautys over at the home depot.The pride & joy of john deere im sure!

Come on and get real.

I am not even sure why Deere got in that game. Guess everyone wants to own a Deere so they had to make one for the el cheapo people.

Nice try but you know we are talking about real tractors! :weightlifter:

rcreech
08-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Well my 990 JD tractor is built buy Yammer has a tag right on it

They come shipped with no tires They have American made rims and tires on it

JD does use some Yammer motors in there smaller tractors

Sorry couldn't resist

Must be tough ever time you get on here you just can't just have fun

Charles Cue

I don't know anything about the 990 as I only know about the 30-300 hp that are being made today.

After Kings stupid comment I looked and couldn't find anything related to Deere's being build by Yanmar.

I knew at one time JD was outsourcing and they had trouble so they quit but I don't know that history.

I still to this day have a little Yanmar 155. It is a tough little tractor but a piece of crap!

lawn king
08-29-2011, 09:37 PM
You have issues thats for sure. You call me a great guy and stupid in the same thread. Did you stop taking your meds again?

CHARLES CUE
08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/zmags/residential/online_brochures/utility_tractors/static/4000_series_zmags.html

RC try this link hope it works it's on page 7 in the center top

Kind of small but you can see it 4000 sires tractor yammer liquid cooled engine

The 990 is just a gear driven tractor now it falls in the 4000 s tractors

used to a 1070 why they keep changing numbers don't know

And why do we care if one is heaver than the other every one has a option

Charles Cue

Ric
08-29-2011, 10:45 PM

RC

I just ran out ot Popcorn. Do I need to pop more or are you finally done now??

CHARLES CUE
08-29-2011, 10:54 PM

RC

I just ran out ot Popcorn. Do I need to pop more or are you finally done now??

More POPCORN with extra butter

Charles Cue

pieperlc
08-29-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't really want to get into the middle of anything, but it's no secret that Deere uses yanmar engines in all of their smaller diesel tractors. I've been told Deere owns a large percentage of the Yanmar engine company. As to the rest of the machine, I think it's all Deere. Funny you guys mention weight as I've always been told a Yanmar engine is lighter than a Kubota.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/zmags/residential/online_brochures/utility_tractors/static/4000_series_zmags.html

RC try this link hope it works it's on page 7 in the center top

Kind of small but you can see it 4000 sires tractor yammer liquid cooled engine

The 990 is just a gear driven tractor now it falls in the 4000 s tractors

used to a 1070 why they keep changing numbers don't know

And why do we care if one is heaver than the other every one has a option

Charles Cue

NattyLawn
08-29-2011, 11:32 PM
If there's one thing I've seen over the years, it's Rod's always right.

lawn king
08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Talk about taking my thread off the road! If anyone wants to discuss spraying gly on asphalt great, otherwise lets just let this thread fade away!

Ric
08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Talk about taking my thread off the road! If anyone wants to discuss spraying gly on asphalt great, otherwise lets just let this thread fade away!

Lawn King

NO WAY I just popped more Popcorn with Extra Butter. Charles Cue I hope you Like Garlic Butter on your Popcorn.

ReddensLawnCare
08-30-2011, 12:18 PM
rcreech...really? If you want to crawl on kings shoulders and call yourself tall, go ahead, but that was the most childish argument I have ever seen on here. So with that said, I agree that boomless and boom spraying both have their place. For open areas I would much rather use boom for the reasons that Ric stated. King..how often do you spray? I know it is good money to spray it often but have you thought about mixing up some mojave *spelling* I heard that is some good stuff though i have not used it. What do you think ric?

Ric
08-30-2011, 12:42 PM
rcreech...really? If you want to crawl on kings shoulders and call yourself tall, go ahead, but that was the most childish argument I have ever seen on here. So with that said, I agree that boomless and boom spraying both have their place. For open areas I would much rather use boom for the reasons that Ric stated. King..how often do you spray? I know it is good money to spray it often but have you thought about mixing up some mojave *spelling* I heard that is some good stuff though i have not used it. What do you think ric?

Redden

I never used Mojave but I have used similar products. But My first reaction is with a boom sprayer on a black top area NON TARGET RUN OFF is going to be a real problem. One of the big advantages of Glyphosate is it pretty much goes inert when it hits the grounds. No way I would use Ground Sterilizers on a hard surface with a broad cast blanket treatment. Maybe the product will dry on the Black top but the next rain just might wash it into a landscape area.

greendoctor
08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Redden

I never used Mojave but I have used similar products. But My first reaction is with a boom sprayer on a black top area NON TARGET RUN OFF is going to be a real problem. One of the big advantages of Glyphosate is it pretty much goes inert when it hits the grounds. No way I would use Ground Sterilizers on a hard surface with a broad cast blanket treatment. Maybe the product will dry on the Black top but the next rain just might wash it into a landscape area.

For the reason stated above, no bareground products are labeled for broadcast application to hard surfaces. However, Mohave(generic Sahara) and Sahara(diuron+imazapyr) are labeled for directed application to weeds breaking through cracks in concrete or asphalt. I would certainly take the time to kill out weed break through in pavement using a hand piece and Sahara if it meant that I will not have to come back for the rest of the year. Broadcast application of anything to what is mostly hard surface begs for run off to occur. If a product does not kill vegetation down stream, it still becomes a surface water contaminant. Even glyphosate can become a water contaminant under those conditions. If you look at the label for any glyphosate product, there is an annual limit on how many lb of AI permitted on a given site. That is because of the above reason. Therefore, I will utilize suitable long term herbicides on bare ground sites to minimize the total number of applications per year. BTW, in my area, it is very possible for weeds to start growing back from seed 7 days after killing the original weed with glyphosate. This process goes on 12 months out of the year except when drought hits.

CHARLES CUE
08-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Lawn King

NO WAY I just popped more Popcorn with Extra Butter. Charles Cue I hope you Like Garlic Butter on your Popcorn.

Man love garlic butter

Lawn king I have never sprayed black top as a blanket but have done lots of cracks

The biggest thing i spray with gly is the rails to trail that have gravel walk way.Just load up my T and and spray about 7th buy 10 ft easy job

Charles Cue

CT18fireman
03-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Lawn King

How did the boom spraying work out long term? I have a large amount og blacktop on a property that I do. It borders the airport here with access and has big paved areas for planes to turn and park. Lots of cracks and seems.

Currently we have two guys with backpacks spend about 6 hours total for apps. Usually we do it monthly through late summer. Its a year round total maintenance contract and while we charge and get paid well if I could put a boom on my sprayer and have an effective job it would be worth it. Obviously you spray a lot of liquid that doesn't hit weeds. Do you find it to still be effective? How much material do you need for a given area? Do you go lower or higher on the concentrate? Any info or tips you could give would help.