PDA

View Full Version : Which Rain Sensor?

ZX12R
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I wanted to go the wireless route because it will be about 100 feet away from the controller due to large oaks.

I was thinking about installing the Hunter Wireless Rain Clik but after doing a search on it,it seems the majority of you do not like it. Are they any better now or should I avoid it?

If I have to go the hardwire route,it means digging and putting it in conduit,but,I will do it if I have to. If thats the case,what do you think about the Hunter Mini-Clik?

Pros and Cons on both are appreciated.

Wet_Boots
08-14-2011, 04:10 PM
there's always the classic sensor made by Avarian Enterprises

S.O.Contracting
08-14-2011, 04:52 PM
If you want wireless the irritrol is the best in my opinion. But haven't gotten to try the new rainbird yet. But it looks nice.

CANADIAN MIKE
08-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Hunter Solar Sync is the way to go if you have a PRO C, ICC or X CORE controller

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
08-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Rain Bird wireless. Out of all of the ones that I have installed it's hands down the nicest wireless sensor out there!

SPEEDSKI
08-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Rainbird Wireless (WR2) is a great unit. You can make all the adjustments at the controller module and never need to climb the ladder. Great unit.

No Solar Sync....replaced 6 units this year alone.

Autoflow
08-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Is there a way you can install a wireless sensor using one transmitter and numerous receivers for different controllers? I am installing a system at an over 55's retreat where there will be 18 individual controllers going in, one for each villa. I would love to be able to just have the one or two transmitters instead of having to install 18 separate ones. I don't care if I have to buy the entire kit for the receivers either. The site is around 500 feet long and about 100ft wide, so I was thinking if I can install one or two if need be in a central location and sync it to each receiver it would save a lot of time. Will it work though or can each transmitter only have one receiver?

Mike Leary
08-14-2011, 09:10 PM
]Is there a way you can install a wireless sensor using one transmitter and numerous receivers for different controllers? I am installing a system at an over 55's retreat where there will be 18 individual controllers going in, one for each villa. I would love to be able to just have the one or two transmitters instead of having to install 18 separate ones. I don't care if I have to buy the entire kit for the receivers either. The site is around 500 feet long and about 100ft wide, so I was thinking if I can install one or two if need be in a central location and sync it to each receiver it would save a lot of time. Will it work though or can each transmitter only have one receiver?
I am not a REP, just a satisfied user.
rainmaster.com

SPEEDSKI
08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
I think the WR2 can use one Sensor with 4-5 receivers.

I went to the RM site and did not see any info on the post from Mike Leary.

Got anymore info? I saw the weather station, is that the setup you are talking about. I used Irritrol in the past, but it is non existant in our area.

Sounds interesting though. More info please?

THX

ZX12R
08-15-2011, 12:20 AM
there's always the classic sensor made by Avarian Enterprises

LOL,you have too much time on your hands.:)

ZX12R
08-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all your replies,I will read up on teh Rainbird WR2 when I get a minute.

One question I forgot to ask. Does wireless work well if it as asked to go thru a wall or two?

Autoflow
08-15-2011, 01:51 AM
I think the WR2 can use one Sensor with 4-5 receivers.

I went to the RM site and did not see any info on the post from Mike Leary.

Got anymore info? I saw the weather station, is that the setup you are talking about. I used Irritrol in the past, but it is non existant in our area.

Sounds interesting though. More info please?

THX

Thanks I will check out the WR2. I couldn't see any info regarding the sensor in Mike's link unless the weather stations can sync with multiple receivers in which case it would be good, but I have never seen Rainmaster in Australia before.

ZX12R
08-15-2011, 10:55 AM
I just picked up the Irritrol hard wired unit....model #RS500. Its a good day to hook it up as its raining here.....yet again.

Guy at supply house mentioned that most of the units they sell are the Weathermatic.

DIXIECONTRACTING
08-15-2011, 12:23 PM
I have always used the toro and never had a problem the ones I have replaced are mostly hunter.

sprinklerchris
08-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Rainbird Wireless (WR2) is a great unit. You can make all the adjustments at the controller module and never need to climb the ladder. Great unit.

No Solar Sync....replaced 6 units this year alone.

Yes, Rain Bird wireless. Or the Irritrol. Avoid the Hunter wireless rain sensor and also the wireless solar sync.

Wet_Boots
08-15-2011, 06:31 PM
You like the wired Solar Sync?

RhettMan
08-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Some wise ol' f**ts told me about this plain jane sensor called something similar too "Irritrol wireless"

I like it

ZX12R
08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Tis my slow season,so,heres a pic of the RS500 mounted to the shed. Yes,rainfall has a clear shot at the sensor.

irrig8r
08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
These ( http://rainsensor.com/ ) have been fool-proof for me... and is probably why Toro bought them and also sells them under the Irritrol name.

I had problems with the first generation RB wireless sensor (just as a customer did with the first RB residential remotes). I'm not a Rain Bird "early adopter".

Waiting to see how they do over time.