PDA

View Full Version : Coming out the closet.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
10-29-2002, 07:56 AM
Yes I am mechanically Challenged!!!
Oh did you think it was something else. Shame on you. I am about to get married you know. LoLs
I thought I have seen books on how to fix walkbehinds, riders, blowers and weed whackers before. (I can't remember where.)
This winter I want to learn more about fixing everything. I have had a good mechanic for years. He is honest and good at fixing all of our mowers etc. He is getting older and might retire in a few years. So it's time for handy man or better known as the master mechanic to step up. (Lols) It might even be better if the have a mechanically challenged video. Now that I opened myself up go ahead make fun of me. Travis:blush:

rkbrown
10-29-2002, 09:50 AM
Travis:

I cannot make fun of you as I am in a similar situation. I am in the process of correcting it now, though. I have gotten shop manuals for my vehicles and any repair thats needed, I have been doing. I am fortunate in that I have a friend who is a former mechanic (still does it on the side) that I can call when I make a mess of things !! When I step up to bigger mowers (using Toro commercial 21's presently), I plan on getting shop manuals if available.

Bob Minney
10-29-2002, 11:09 AM
A good book to have is Chilton's small engine repair. It covers all major engine manufacturers, 2 and 4 stroke. Good detail and trouble shooting information. You should be able to get it at Barnes and Noble, cost was $20-30.

rkbrown
10-29-2002, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the info, Bob !!!

Guido
10-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by AGG Lawn Maintenance
I am about to get married you know

Whats his name?:eek: Just kidding!

Anyway..........Try your local community college. Ours offered a small engine repair course.

Also, like someone mentioned, if you can get your dealer to sell you actual repair manuals for your equipment, that would be your best bet.

That, and practice.......lots of practice.

Darb
10-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Also on this board there is a wonderful resource in the form of the Mechanic and Repair Forum. I posted questions about a push B & S engine and it turned out to be a Tecumseh engine. And these guys still were eager to help me. They tried hard not to make me look stupid.
Darb

walker-talker
10-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Hahahaha......lol.....hahah......"what's his name"?....haha.....that's funny Guido....haha.

MATT

Gravely_Man
10-29-2002, 05:18 PM
Why am I always one step behind David? I would second the community college route. Gives you a place to learn, projects to work on (stuff you bring in) and others to ask questions of. Give it a try.

Gravely_Man

Ryan Lightning
10-29-2002, 06:08 PM
Ill be taking the small engine class at the college next year. I heard a few guys from stihl bring a brand new chain saw in, and run striaght gas til it blows up! :blob2: Then they show you how to rebuild it. Theres a huge Stihl warehouse just outside town.

Bill Davis
10-29-2002, 10:04 PM
That is cool that they demonstrate the Sthil. I have two of their chainsaws and they are a beast!! I love my Sthils.

mike9497
10-29-2002, 10:37 PM
work for a power equipment dealer.thats what i did.been working as a power equipment mechanic for 6 years.i started my landscaping biz 2 years ago.i still try to find work at PED in the winter cause mowers change a little every year

SLS
10-30-2002, 07:44 AM
Once you have a few small engine repair manuals you could pick up a few tired weedwhackers and pushmowers at some garage/yard sales for CHEAP. These would make for good practice, and if you screw up too badly on one you could just toss it.

Better to strip threads and score cylinder bores in in old, used cheapo stuff than to practice on your 'good stuff'.

Besides, if you get really aggravated at a junk piece you are practicing on....it wouldn't kill you if you gave it a good sledgehammer tuneup! :D

AGG Lawn Maintenance
10-31-2002, 07:55 AM
His name is shawn. I mean Shawn-na. Just kidding. Thats too funny Guido. I got you guys at first. Hey everyones coming out the closet about something these day. LoLs :D .
Sounds like a plan I will get the books and try out some of those old weed whackers to start. I will also go to my mechanic in the winter and just watch him. I just remember where I have seen the books. It was in an old parts catalog. Which one who knows but I will find out in due time. Thanks Travis.