PDA

View Full Version : Is a skid loader worth it?

Trucklover
08-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Ive been thinking about buying a skid loader and doing some skid loader services but is it worth it?

josh_smith
08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
The value in a skid loader directly relates to the scope of work you are performing. If your typical job is small, it may not be beneficial. You must also calculate the price to fix any damaged areas by the machine if it's a renovation job.

However, they not only save time, but they save the backs of your guys and that increases productivity. I hope this helps.

Cam.at.Heritage
08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
A skid steer isn;t really something you just pick up on the side... I would say unless your going to be really pushing it and maybe going bigger installs best to wait on the purchase.

Go ahead and start offering services and then just rent machines for them. This will give you both a chance to see what size and type of machine is going to work best for you and if it doesn't pan out your not stuck with skid steer

LoweJ82
08-15-2011, 01:30 AM
When I went full time I picked up mine, Its paid for itself at least 3 maybe 4 times over.

Makes a lot of things much easier, Advertise for bobcat services, put a few of the obvious things on there and what you wanna do with it, the work will come.

Just today I spent 4 hours on a farm, cleaned out a cow barn and then pushed over a few piles of dirt with wood debris mixed in them, Never thought Id get a call to push/scoop poop! But everyone you know will need something done, and wont wanna pay or since your not using it sunday and its just gonna sit on the trailer couldnt you just let them use it.

I didn't buy a new shiny toy, I bought a 1990 743 with around 1900 hours including trailer and paid cash, I wouldn't suggest taking on a loan unless the machine will make atleast double the payment in the payment period, If you got the funds go for it.

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-15-2011, 05:10 AM
mine get used primarily during the winter on some big accounts. When i say big i mean they were paid off by the end of the winter. So i have been blessed. Also when you have a skid steer and its paid off you dont mind it sitting in your yard for long periods of time sometimes. But also during the summer we do alot of landscape jobs so its easy to just bring the skid steers to a job and rip out old bushes and trees compared to digging them out by hard which was very tie consuming and strenuous. Hauling mulch on around commercial site is easier than pushing a wheelbarrow.

Then during the winter they are nice and compact yet have enough power to really push some snow. We use them in apartment complexes and subdivisions With 8ft blades and boxes. Then switch to a bucket and you can load snow or salt to haul! we use mostly liquid so we dont load too much salt.But thats another thread!

Skidsteers in the landscaping business are very helpful.

Roger
08-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Worth it? Only YOUR spreadsheet and business plan will answer the question. The experiences of others are not going to be an answer to YOUR situation.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-15-2011, 02:48 PM
yeah its worth it, if you have the work already..... you can also rent one when a job comes up

JB1
08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
not worth it, way over priced, check into a good square and round nose shovel.

justanotherlawnguy
08-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Do you find yourself renting one on a weekly basis?
If not, your probably not in the market for even a used one.
Posted via Mobile Device

tstutz
08-23-2011, 11:09 PM
I have found that i will have my skid sit for weeks then get a small job such as moving a safe for a city fella and it takes fifteen minutes and he flips me $200. The snow season is why i keep it. They kick A$s at pushing snow.

capetrees
08-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Buy it and the work will come. It's something I am always afraid to admit when purchasing something but everytime I do purchase something, it pays for itself over and over. I just bought a used Gravely at the bginning of the month, $2500, and it's paid for itself already. I didn't have anything lined up prior to the sale. My next purchase is a Bobcat T250 and I do have a couple of jobs lined up to pay for a good portion of it. Always be able and ready to expand your business and the purchases will make sense. At the very least, if you had to, sell it off again if you find it's not a good investment. If used, easy to break even. If new, that's a bit tougher.

topsites
08-23-2011, 11:48 PM
We're not looking at a $2000 tool piece here.

Because you know, one sure hates to waste time answering a bunch of what could well be pointless
questions when the so-called prospective buyer hasn't even bothered to see if they can afford it.

So you have priced these skid steer loaders, yes?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I bought mine in 1990 and its paid for it self many times Always want upgrade but I know what I have rebuild the control linkage few times only problem had with it Hr meter broke at 4k so dont realy know how many hrs is on it
Does need new seal in the rams started to leak this yr

So is it worth it He$$ yes

Mine small size 40hp but its nice get in tight spot can haul it sideways on trailer means get more on my trailer
And during snow put a 50'' or 60'' blade and get on most sidewalks

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Hr meter broke at 4k so dont realy know how many hrs is on it

wow dude that's alot of hours, what make is it? I wouldn't even consider rubbing anything with that high of hours. any pics of that. Sorry for the hijack

PlantscapeSolutions
08-26-2011, 01:20 AM
I just rent a T190 for about $240 with all the taxes and insurance. The T190 has tracks and has much better pushing power then a wheeled unit. As long as your careful you can use it on finished landscapes as well. On pavement the tracked units won't kick your azz like a wheeled unit.

I would not buy a unit unless I already had work lined up. There are lots of guys out there with skid steers and finding work unrelated to landscaping may be a challenge.

LoweJ82
08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
one thing I did notice more after I picked mine up...... EVERYONE has one.

Just seen a add on CL a guy renting his for $25 a hour.

Cloud9Landscapes
08-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Have you looked into picking up a Toro Dingo? Allot cheaper than a skid and its compact size means it will fit about anywhere. Not to mention there are plenty of attachments available.
I just did a job on a side yard today that was 35' long and had to excavate 4' down. There were also Italian cypress stumps that I had to call in a tree service to grind out. If I had a Dingo, I could have ground the stumps, excavated and started on a retaining wall all in one day.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-26-2011, 10:26 PM
wow dude that's alot of hours, what make is it? I wouldn't even consider rubbing anything with that high of hours. any pics of that. Sorry for the hijackIts a Gehl 3825

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-26-2011, 10:30 PM
I just rent a T190 for about $240 with all the taxes and insurance. The T190 has tracks and has much better pushing power then a wheeled unit. As long as your careful you can use it on finished landscapes as well. On pavement the tracked units won't kick your azz like a wheeled unit.

I would not buy a unit unless I already had work lined up. There are lots of guys out there with skid steers and finding work unrelated to landscaping may be a challenge.

Track unit on pavement is hard on the track
What do you mean about wheeled unit on pavement kicking ur azz

White Gardens
08-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Have you looked into picking up a Toro Dingo? Allot cheaper than a skid and its compact size means it will fit about anywhere. Not to mention there are plenty of attachments available.
I just did a job on a side yard today that was 35' long and had to excavate 4' down. There were also Italian cypress stumps that I had to call in a tree service to grind out. If I had a Dingo, I could have ground the stumps, excavated and started on a retaining wall all in one day.

Best post I've seen yet.

My mini skid is invaluable for what I do.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-27-2011, 02:48 AM
Track unit on pavement is hard on the track
What do you mean about wheeled unit on pavement kicking ur azz

A skid steer on dry pavement can be like a car that needs traction bars. If you trying to haul azz and get the job done a wheeled loader can start hopping on you when you try to turn quickly on dry pavement. The tracked skid steers turn just as smooth on dirt as they do on pavement. The T190 is my favorite skid steer.

capetrees
08-28-2011, 10:05 AM
We're not looking at a $2000 tool piece here.

Because you know, one sure hates to waste time answering a bunch of what could well be pointless
questions when the so-called prospective buyer hasn't even bothered to see if they can afford it.

So you have priced these skid steer loaders, yes?

Not knowing where the question was directed, yes, I have priced the unit I'm buying and yes, it is something that will ceratinly pay for itself quickly. Whether it's a $2000 piece of equipment or a $20,000 piece, these machines pay for themselves. The problem usually is with the new owner. Will he/she get out there and find the work or will the machine sit and rot. Toying around the house is of no use.
Keep in mind, in addition to the machine there is the purchase of a trailer large enough to carry the machine and the right hitch on you truck and then there's upkeep and maintainence, all factoring into your thoughs on purchasing a machine.

Fordsuvparts
08-28-2011, 10:12 AM
ive been thinking about buying a skid loader and doing some skid loader services but is it worth it?

yes!!!!!!!!!