PDA

View Full Version : Bed pre emergents

jckrier2010
08-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Going to start my own lawn care company next year and wanted to know what everbody uses for bed pre emergents? I have used freehand at my previous job and it did not give the results i would have liked. Just trying to get some ideas.
Thanks

Florida Gardener
08-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Snapshot for granular and sureguard for liquid
Posted via Mobile Device

jckrier2010
08-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks for input

White Gardens
08-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I've had mixed results with Snapshot this season. I did use it on some pretty nasty properties, so I wonder if it's going to take a couple of seasons of control before I see the results I'm looking for.

Florida Gardener
08-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I've had mixed results with Snapshot this season. I did use it on some pretty nasty properties, so I wonder if it's going to take a couple of seasons of control before I see the results I'm looking for.

Prob it. If they have been neglected for a while you have to figure there are a lot of seeds in the soil so I'm sure it will take a few apps for control. Snapshot is an excellent product IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

jckrier2010
08-15-2011, 08:07 AM
What would be the preferred application equipment for liquid and granular bed pre emergents? I was just going to use a backpack sprayer for the liquid. Not sure on the granular though.

Florida Gardener
08-15-2011, 08:16 AM
What would be the preferred application equipment for liquid and granular bed pre emergents? I was just going to use a backpack sprayer for the liquid. Not sure on the granular though.

I use one of those scott's hand spreaders from HD and it works well.

grassman177
08-15-2011, 08:17 AM
snapshot will control more weeds per label and experience than freehand, but both have thier place especially since freehand controls nutsedge.

also, it does take a couple of years of staying on it to get good control with a nasty place. make sure to spray what does come up thru the snapshot in a timely manner to avoid further seeding and you will notice a tremendous dif the next season(still treating of course)

Florida Gardener
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
snapshot will control more weeds per label and experience than freehand, but both have thier place especially since freehand controls nutsedge.

also, it does take a couple of years of staying on it to get good control with a nasty place. make sure to spray what does come up thru the snapshot in a timely manner to avoid further seeding and you will notice a tremendous dif the next season(still treating of course)

Agreed. I applied snapshot to a bed that had torpedo grass(not on label and very hard to get rid of). After one app, there has not been any torpedo grass and it has been 2 years. Snapshot has great residual efficacy as well. On a bad area, one app won't do it. After years of neglect, there will be tons of seeds in the soil.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
08-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Follow the directions--read the label--try not to kill any bushes. Can injure roots. Try not to get much in the grass or let it wash downhill during rain events.

NJemerald
10-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Question for the guys applying Snapshot...

How often are you applying snapshot through the season?
Would a Fall app. help reduce Spring weeds?

thanks

White Gardens
10-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Question for the guys applying Snapshot...

How often are you applying snapshot through the season?
Would a Fall app. help reduce Spring weeds?

thanks

Logically I would think it would help some. Even Barricade for CG says to do a fall app to control weeds in lawns, but the effectiveness would be up to debate.

With no experience, if you were to do a fall app of snapshot I would think that late August would be the time to apply to suppress winter annuals that might come up along with the late season germination of dandelions and other weedy perennials.

Florida Gardener
10-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Down in Florida where everything grows year round, yes. We have plenty of winter annuals down here. However, I would be more concerned with an early summer app bc weeds don't grow that fast during winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
10-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Down in Florida where everything grows year round, yes. We have plenty of winter annuals down here. However, I would be more concerned with an early summer app bc weeds don't grow that fast during winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am applying another round next week. Last round was roughly 3 months ago...winter weeds may not grow as fast....but they can tend to get unsightly during our EOW ETW schedule.....I am thinking if I can keep them down....it will save any questions...it will be worth it... I plan on enjoying winter this year...it has been well earned. :clapping: