PDA

View Full Version : Digs on Turns with WB Belt Drive

RobH
10-29-2002, 11:23 AM
I purchased a Scag 48" WB belt-drive with a 17hp Kawi. I notice that while striping lawns, the back tire (that isn't turning) digs into the turf and rip it up a bit when I am making turns. Is there anything I can do in order to minimize this from happening? I prefer to stripe lawns so I do need to make tight turns. I know the hydro's claim to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately, at this time I cannot afford a hydro.

scott's turf
10-29-2002, 11:33 AM
This is what I used to do with my belt drive wb:
First make two perimeter runs with the mower so you will now have a border of around 8'. Then when you turn your inside tire can follow the path of an upside down tear drop. Basically if you are doing a 180 to the left firts turn slightly to the right and then come around using the border swaths you made to adjust back in line for the next swath. Try to always keep the tires moving and you should be ok.

Tony Harrell
10-30-2002, 07:30 AM
I had this same problem and the guys here helped me out. The inside tire should be in a neutral position(not forward and not braking). The turn resembles a "K" without the bottom part. I just get to the bottom of a turn and slightly turn around with the inside tire in neutral, then put both tires in neutral and pull back to line up. Then do the next stripe. Once you do this a while it'll be second nature. Also, I do my "cleanup pass" last to cover any turning stripes.

Shady Brook
10-30-2002, 08:15 AM
I do what Tony does, works fine. You can not lock that inner wheel unless you have perfect conditions, and even then it is riskey.

Jay

Gravely_Man
10-30-2002, 12:10 PM
This just takes some practice and time to get used to the equipment. As Tony mentioned he had a problem similar to this and got help here. You might want to do a search on his post to read all of the answers he got.

Gravely_Man

scott's turf
10-30-2002, 12:20 PM
Tony, are you saying that you go in reverse? This is a belt drive machine not hydro.

Esby
10-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Here is a thread that I replied to a while back, there is some great information in it thats worth reading on this topic:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27647