PDA

View Full Version : Pulling electrical conduit w/pipe puller ??

WalkGood
08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Anyone ever pull gray "plastic" electrical conduit with a pipe puller?

Not quite sure what kind of "plastic" it is made with.

Have never pulled any kind of PVC pipe or conduit before, just irrigation poly on a roll.

Any tips or advice for pulling the electrical conduit? How long to wait for the glue to set properly.

Thanks

Mike Leary
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Conduit is sch 40, so why not? The important thing is to get the bell ends in the right direction so the pull wire does not get caught when being blown through, or are you going to install pull wire at the same time?

WalkGood
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Your suggestion of inserting the wire into the bell end first made me think of the orientation when pulling the pipe itself.

Would pulling from the male end of the pipe and NOT from the bell end also make sense so that the edges of the bell aren't dragging?

The wire I think is to be pulled thru the pipe AFTER the pipe is installed. One neat trick I learned about pulling wires thru conduit. Use masons twine with a small wad of plastic bag tied to it. Get a shop-vac to suck the wad of plastic bag thru the pipe to get the twine to the other end. Use the twine to either pull your wires or to pull a heavier "pull-tape" which then pulls the wires. Works super fast with the shop-vac.

Any idea how long to let the glue set before pulling the pipe?

Wet_Boots
08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
three days

greenmonster304
08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
I did just what you are talking about last week. I pulled 250' around a pool because the masons damaged the pool light wire when building the patio. I went there the day before and glued it all together. It pulled fine with the 1-1/2" bullet. Then the fun task of repairing the irrigation lines.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
It's just like laying any other pvc pipe; go with the flow and not have any extrusions to block it. Depending on which way you're going to do the blow/suck, make sure the bell ends are not blocking. The plastic bag method works great, I use a pulling twine that I get from Platt electric that is lighter than anything. All sweep ells, by the way. Use wet 'n dry.

greenmonster304
08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
You can by rolls of utility conduit with the pull string installed already from http://www.flyingwplastics.com/hdpe_conduit.html
Posted via Mobile Device

WalkGood
08-15-2011, 05:33 PM
greenmonster Have you yourself used the utility conduit rolls? Would be better than gluing sticks together.

Was the pool job low voltage or 120v? Did you use conduit sticks on this job or irrigation poly?

Wet_Boots
08-15-2011, 05:37 PM
only a low-rent piker puts power wires inside of poly pipe *cough*

WalkGood
08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Use wet 'n dry.

That means shop-vac to me! Is that a type of glue?

I do not do much PVC if at all. Did one repair this Summer, last one was years and years ago.

Only other PVC I have done is the DWV on my bathroom and kitchen remodel. Used whatever the Home Of The Pot sold for sch-40 PVC.

Mike Leary
08-15-2011, 05:43 PM
That means shop-vac to me! Is that a type of glue?

:laugh::laugh: That's a quick-set glue.

greenmonster304
08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
greenmonster Have you yourself used the utility conduit rolls? Would be better than gluing sticks together.

Was the pool job low voltage or 120v? Did you use conduit sticks on this job or irrigation poly?

The pool job I used 10' sticks of 1" grey PVC for high voltage. The utility poly is great if you can find it. It's the same stuff as verizon uses. It is not UL listed for conduit so legally you would have to use a UF cable inside but it is much easier than PVC. It's better than irrigation poly because when some landscaper digs it up he thinks twice about hacking at it with a spade because it's bright orange.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mdirrigation
08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Its absolutly no different from pulling sprinkler pipe , bell ends go to the back , glue and twist the pipe , and pull , use a chinese finger . You can pull the pipe right away . i pull for 5 or 6 electricians , they love the plow . As far as the wire , under 100 ft , fish tape , over 100 ft the string asd shop vac work as long as you up size the string to a small rope and use some lube .

WalkGood
08-15-2011, 10:30 PM
How deep do you guys get the pvc pipe via the puller?

WalkGood
08-15-2011, 11:16 PM
only a low-rent piker puts power wires inside of poly pipe *cough*

But you've heard of it being done. ;)

AI Inc
08-16-2011, 06:18 AM

by law supposed to be 12"

Mdirrigation
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM

depends on the blade , anywhere from 8 inches to 22 inches .

greenmonster304
08-16-2011, 05:27 PM

I have a 20" blade you could borrow if you want to take a trip east to the fabulous hamptons.
Posted via Mobile Device

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-16-2011, 05:51 PM
I hate those big blades...

Greenmonstah- its mostly sand there isn't it?

irritation
08-16-2011, 06:16 PM
I have a 36" blade that came with my DW 350SX. Same mounting holes as a 410 or even a 250. I never tried to use it, way too much blade for those machines.

WalkGood
08-16-2011, 06:17 PM
I have a 20" blade you could borrow if you want to take a trip east to the fabulous hamptons.

That is a generous offer, thanks. I'll let you know if it comes to that.

As a related aside, I've made irrigation repairs at many of these national chain fast food joints. I always find shallow high voltage conduit for lights and drive thru signs. :eek: Usually 4 inches or so deep and most of the time jammed up against the curbs. I do not know how they got that originally passed for code inspections. ;) payup :nono:

So, I doubt the GC will want this buried very deep. It's his responsibility what he puts inside the conduit.

Also, I'd hate to try to remove the already installed blade, it's been in one position for years!

Wet_Boots
08-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Isn't switched power often buried shallower?

greenmonster304
08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I hate those big blades...

Greenmonstah- its mostly sand there isn't it?

There is alot of sand but there is also clay, loam, and areas with probably 50 golfball sized stones in 1 cubic foot of sandy soil.
Posted via Mobile Device

WalkGood
08-16-2011, 10:53 PM
At least those stones are fairly smooth.... for those who don't know, Long Island was formed by an Ice-Age glacier. Ground everything down to make all this sand.

Any sharp rocks are from the cr@p filler buried by the builders before they put down 2 inches of poor topsoil.

Occasionally I do find potato sized rocks. 98% of the time it is easy digging, except where the cr@p filler has been compacted down.

zman9119
08-16-2011, 11:08 PM
As a related aside, I've made irrigation repairs at many of these national chain fast food joints. I always find shallow high voltage conduit for lights and drive thru signs. :eek: Usually 4 inches or so deep and most of the time jammed up against the curbs. I do not know how they got that originally passed for code inspections. ;) payup :nono:

That happened to me last year. Doing a repair at a Starbucks and there were multiple poly lines all over the place, one line in the way of me getting to the fitting. Not thinking anything of it, cut right through the poly and whacked a 120v with my cutters. Glad I was using my crappy plastic cutters which had the blade melt when it hit the line.

WalkGood
08-17-2011, 11:07 PM
PVC conduit pull was uneventful. No pics though. Longest pull was 150 feet, straight run. Amazingly only one sprinkler line break.

Mike Leary
08-18-2011, 06:27 PM
No pics though

Throw the lowlife off the forum.:hammerhead:

1idejim
08-21-2011, 12:54 PM
There is alot of sand but there is also clay, loam, and areas with probably 50 golfball sized stones in 1 cubic foot of sandy soil.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
08-21-2011, 01:29 PM
I have a hammer like that

greenmonster304
08-21-2011, 03:46 PM

What are we looking at?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
08-21-2011, 04:08 PM
looks like expanding foam insulation gone very wrong :eek:

WalkGood
08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
That's an ice dam that backed up into the attic.

Could be a prop from that movie, Encino Man.

greenmonster304
08-22-2011, 07:34 AM
What are we looking at?
Posted via Mobile Device

I figured it out. It looks like a boulder that has a cabin built over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sprinkus
08-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Fake rock covering an R.P. under the house?

1idejim
08-23-2011, 08:41 AM
I figured it out. It looks like a boulder that has a cabin built over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

accidental upload, but you're right. chock full of these

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
I thought Jim was showing a safety danger involving how hammers fall on people's heads.

DanaMac
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
I thought Jim was showing a safety danger involving how hammers fall on people's heads.

So now I have to wear boots AND a hard hat on the job? Next thing you'll be telling me to wear is a hazmat suit :)