PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits eating Pansies

Texas Landscaper
10-29-2002, 12:44 PM
We have a very high profile House that we plant seasonal color at twice a year, and the rabbits are eating our pansies. I have located a product call "Shake Away" over the internet. It is Fox Urine, and i hope it works. This seasonal color change out is 143 flats of color plus mulch and other extras so it is a about $5,500 twice a year. Anyone out there with any experience in dealing with this problem?

Atlantic Lawn
10-29-2002, 03:49 PM
I had a problem with Pansies a while back and it was deer and not bunnies! Not only would they eat them but they pulled them up as well, I ended up installing a motion sensor light for the lady and she was very happy. The deer never came back.If the repelent doesn't work try plantin' some winter rye for the little guys on the other side of the yard. Course there's always rabbit stew, tastes a lot like chicken........

f350
10-29-2002, 03:54 PM
hot pepper wax

digger1
10-29-2002, 10:16 PM
if all else fails, try some #8 shot in a 12 gauge :D

1stclasslawns
10-30-2002, 08:47 AM
#4's work better, they pass on through most of the time and you don't have to pick them out.

Some taters, gravy and biscuts. mmmmmmm good!

Jim

Swampbeast
10-30-2002, 09:00 AM
Well now! Bunny probems? Personally I agree with Jim and Digger, getch your self a 12 gauge, and go brush up for duck season on those bunnies.
But if it turns out you cant shoot guns in the neighborhood, then I would suggest a very old remedy. Get four stake, one for each corner of the garden, string some wire between each stake and make sure its only about 2 or 3 inches off the ground. Take coke cans or beer cans and put something metallic or rocky in there, and put them at 8 inch intervals on all the wire and when the bunnies hear those things start to shaking, they will peel out and split purty darn fast.
Or you could just trap the beasties, rabbit stew tastes pretty good I hear.......
#4 usuall passes straight through? Thanks Jim, I'll remember that.

:cool:

crawdad
10-30-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
.............. Get four stake, one for each corner of the garden, string some wire between each stake and make sure its only about 2 or 3 inches off the ground. Take coke cans or beer cans ............

Beer cans? Oh, ya, that wouldn't look too red-neck. Maybe some Old Swillwalkie cans. He could sit there and drink the beer, and shoot the rabbits. Nothin better than a 12 pack and a box of 22 shells for an afternoon of fun. "Be vewwy, vewwy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits!"
He said it's a high profile yard.
Perhaps some traps, behind the shrubs, out of sight, would be tastefull. You can tell the customers and neighbors that you are "relocateing" the bunnies to somewhere they can't cause damage. Your oven or freezer would be a good place.
Crawdad

Swampbeast
10-30-2002, 01:05 PM
Ha ha! I missed that part! High Profile house, yeah, I guess that wouldnt work! Ha!
Okay, Crawdad is right Go with live traps, tell them your going to take the bunnies out to the woods and let them loose. Then take em home and have a good dinner.
He he he! Beer cans, I figured that would look very vogue!

f350
10-30-2002, 01:33 PM
look for products ( i think jerry baker has some ) they are parrafin wax. so you cant see the product on the plant and it has a long residual

Gravely_Man
10-30-2002, 04:17 PM
The chill pepper wax is the way to go. You will not notice this on the plants but it will be there. Just make sure and not get this on your hands and then say touch your eye! The live traps are another good option but someone will have to continually check them and remove/relocate the catch.

Gravely_Man

gunputt
10-30-2002, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Texas Landscaper
[ I have located a product call "Shake Away" over the internet. It is Fox Urine, and i hope it works.

My guess is this stuff is expensive, and it does'nt work unless the rabbit has had a previous run in with a fox. So i would talk to the rabbits first.

1MajorTom
10-30-2002, 05:34 PM
How do you know it is rabbits that are doing the damage?

Have you closely examined the pansies?
Could it be cutworms or pansyworms?