PDA

View Full Version : real commercial landscaping

DiSantolandscaping
08-16-2011, 07:05 PM
have any of you had the chance to bid a job with a gc (general Contractor) where you had to read blue prints? If so how do you know what is for the landscaping, and not site work guys. do you go to the civil drawings and look for the page that says site layout plan, or do you read all of them even the site removals pages and so on> thanks,

vencops
08-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Most sets contain a landscape plan.

General rule of thumb in commercial construction - grading subcontractor is responsible for supply subgrade to +/- .5". This is important. Either accept this, and know you may have to supply extra materials (if the grading subcontractor is low) to achieve finish grade. He could also be high in spots, and you'd need less materials. You could always make a clause that reads the GC has accepted grading subcontractor's subgrade, before you begin your scope of work. He may sign it. He may not.

READ THE SPECIFICATIONS.

DiSantolandscaping
08-16-2011, 07:31 PM
yea this one is at a high school and i see they want the loam to be 6 in thick and the gravel under neath between 2ft 6in to three feet compact at every 8 in.

vencops
08-16-2011, 07:56 PM
How big of an area?

.5' gravel can get expensive.......relative to the multiplier!

IRRITECH
08-16-2011, 09:58 PM
yea this one is at a high school and i see they want the loam to be 6 in thick and the gravel under neath between 2ft 6in to three feet compact at every 8 in.

That will never happen. the grading contractor will push around the clay and leave the job. Read you specs, that is what you are responsible for. that being said if you actually bid the job according to the specs you will never get it, and if you don't then you are liable. I used to bid irrigation for wal-marts and Home Depots for a landscape company and never got a job. He bid by the specs.

Also bid that landscape and irrigation for a local library a couple years ago. I got the irrigation bid but they laughed at my landscape bid. None of the dirt work was done according to the specs.

It's a crapshoot, or maybe a little like Russian roulette.