PDA

View Full Version : What to do

williams lcm
08-16-2011, 08:18 PM
I like to cut St.Augustine at 4inches but have been getting customers wanting it cut shorter. They say when I cut it that it looks like the weeds have not been touched. They have been saying that after a few days the grass is so long that it dosent look like it has been cut. I tell them the reason why i cut it at 4inches but they dont want to hear it. What would you guys do? Thanks

Florida Gardener
08-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Drop them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnagain
08-16-2011, 09:27 PM
scalp it at 2.5 inches, leave it looking like hay field then drop them

Florida Gardener
08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
scalp it at 2.5 inches, leave it looking like hay field then drop them

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Patriot Services
08-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Keep cutting at 2.5 then sell them a resod when the inevitable happens. Better yet tell them to drop TG and get a real service to control the weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
08-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Just refuse to do it. Below 3" would never be advised. Let them drop you if they want a hack job.

I've got 2 customers that requests their lawns to be cut below where I like to cut. One pays so good that I do it at 3.5". Not bad 8 months out of the year, but I think it's too low from June-September. In rainy periods it needs to be cut every 4 days to look decent. But it's a 8k sq ft lawn that pays $400 a month. The other one, he sounds like your customer. He doesn't care how it looks, he just wants it low. I tell him that I am cutting it lower than I actually am.

Landscape Poet
08-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Explain that in the long term cutting it at the proper height will not only be better for their turf in terms of its health as their is more leaf blade to provide photosynthesis but it will also create a canopy to shelter the soil from getting as much sun, this will eventually help prevent future weeds from germinating.

If they do not understand and accept you are doing the right thing.....keep cutting them at whatever height they want ....and like Patriot said sell them the resod.

jada86
08-18-2011, 01:08 AM
These people in FL are so ridiculous. What kind of moron wants their grass cut below standards, ignoring lawn health? I know, the kind of moron that either doesn't pay on schedule or bitches when the lawn grows 2" due to the rainy season. Sorry - just had to vent! :hammerhead:

bugsNbows
08-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Hello. Some of the dwarf varieties of SA are typically cut below 4". That said, some folks don't care to listen to reasoning or believe what you are saying anyway. I'd make them sign a release, then cut it where they want it (their lawn, their money). If it goes to hell, so be it.

Ric
08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Hello. Some of the dwarf varieties of SA are typically cut below 4". That said, some folks don't care to listen to reasoning or believe what you are saying anyway. I'd make them sign a release, then cut it where they want it (their lawn, their money). If it goes to hell, so be it.

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT AS LONG AS THEY SIGN THE WAVER.

The Bible (Fla Lawn Handbook) says Delmar and Jade mowing height is 1.5 to 2.5 and Seville 2 to 2.5. Yep I had to look it up. Seville was popular in my area 30 years ago and about the only other dwarf varieties in my area were plug jobs that grew in. All the Local Sod field are growing Floratam.

yamadooski
08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
It sounds like all you need to go to the University liberal of Florida web site and read up the cutting heights of St Augy.
Actuall during the summer months of rain you should cut shorter to dry out and not get a fungus.
During the winter months actually cut higher to protect from freeze and as we come into the dry season of spring keep it high to protect from burning up.
19 years of this practice has made me very successful....thank you very much.
I'll take a bow now and wait for the all the applause.