PDA

View Full Version : I like to keep my mow days the same

williams lcm
08-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I dont know about you guys but it is much easier for me to keep the customers on a certain mow day. We have some guys around hear that mow customers all different days from week to week. Some days they are on an 8 or 9 days schedule to a 6 day schedule. How do you guys do this? I know my customer want me at their lawn every 7 days this time of year. Not 8 or 9 days out. This one family in my area have about 200 customers and mow all different days. This has got to be tough to schedule this.

Florida Gardener
08-16-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say they are prob behind from the rain. Think about it, if you had 200 customers and were dealing with rain a couple times per week do you think you would always be on sched?
Posted via Mobile Device

williams lcm
08-16-2011, 09:10 PM
This one family run company has been doing this for years. They come at all different days and hours. They have alot of lawns and do good work. They do a lawn behind my customer house. But it is always cut different days and rarely cut on a 7 day schedule. The must have a loyal following

Florida Gardener
08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Not sure then.....my vote still goes for rain....

Patriot Services
08-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Well when you do full service not every stop is the same. The add ons are where the money is. My schedule is fluid. Weekly may 5 days this week, 8 days next. No complaints.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM

10 day mowing cycles have a place as a Business model. Sure the scheduling can sound a bit confusing but it works. The big advantage is by charging a customer a slight lower price per month you actually make more money per cut because you only cut 3 times a month. You also can handle 37.5% more customers at 8 day mowing with 2 days off.

I know this business model works because I had a friend who worked it for years.

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-16-2011, 10:07 PM
10 day mowing cycles have a place as a Business model. Sure the scheduling can sound a bit confusing but it works. The big advantage is by charging a customer a slight lower price per month you actually make more money per cut because you only cut 3 times a month.

I don't get that... if you are only cutting 3 times per month then I expect to only be charged 75% of what the other guy cutting 4 times per month would charge.

Keith
08-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Oops. It appears that you have stumbled into the wrong forum. This is the Florida forum. Our mowing season is year-round. We essentially charge by the year, broken into twelve equal payments. I might mow 5 or 6 times in July, 4 times in September, 2 times in December. It doesn't matter, same check at end of the month.

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-16-2011, 10:51 PM
right that makes sense.... I will let you guy enjoy the warmth....

JDiepstra
08-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Lawns should be mowed when they need mowing. Why would you mow every 7 days if it doesn't need mowing for 10 to 14 days? Seems like a waste to me.

Eric E
08-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Alot of the lawns I service should be getting cut every 5 days right now. It would be nice if some hose jockey companies would chill out on the N.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-17-2011, 07:00 AM
I got a few houses that tend to float. By and large I have a fixed day. But the best part of having many props in one are is if you get a few minutes, you can run over and get ahead for tomorrow, or mow ahead or behind the rain. I also might skip a yard on Fri due to dry conditions and return on monday to do it So lonh as it's not out of th way. If your really doing things with the turf in mind, sometimes monday dont work every week

Landscape Poet
08-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Lawns should be mowed when they need mowing. Why would you mow every 7 days if it doesn't need mowing for 10 to 14 days? Seems like a waste to me.

Does this mean that you guys up north rush to the lawn and mow it right away and maybe cut it twice a week during rapid growth and never remove more than a third of the blade? I do not think so given the rapid height of growth of some of your turfs. Ours are no different. Some really could be correctly cut more than once a week in a ideal world...but I do not live in that world and I get paid to maintain in a manner which weekly property visits between March/April through October are acceptable and EOW NOV. to March/April. Text book and real life are usually not on the same page and of course then there is the whole is the client really willing to incur the cost of properly maintaining the turf under ideal conditions such as more than one visit per week during peak periods. Very few are willing to incur such a cost.

lifetree
08-18-2011, 12:02 AM

Lawn value is in the eye of the beholder ... if the customer wants it cone every week and is willing to pay for it ... then who are you to refuse to do it and get paid for it ??

Keith
08-18-2011, 12:34 AM
95% of my customers couldn't care less how many times the lawn is mowed, just that it looks good. Not a single one of them is paying me to mow every week. Again, they are paying a yearly fee divided in to twelve equal payments, for maintenance throughout the that year. Most will question why you are riding around the yard when the grass hasn't grown an inch. Doesn't mean we don't stop by there and give it look. I think some of you guys are misunderstanding the scenario. I don't think anyone here is leaving a lawn looking scraggly.