PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda and Crabgrass

turfman33
10-29-2002, 04:39 PM
Anybody know the best way to get rid of Bermuda and CrabGrass without killing the lawn. The lawn is St. Augustine.

Thanks

Steve

Green Pastures
10-29-2002, 04:46 PM
Numerous light applications of Fuselade II.

Scott

KirbysLawn
10-29-2002, 06:10 PM
Drive 75 for the crabgrass, Fusilade II IF it's labeled for residentual lawns in your state for the bermuda!

digger1
10-29-2002, 10:13 PM
not too familiar with warm season grasses. PBI Gordon (chemical company I believe in Kansas City, MO) has a product called Ornamec that is used for elimination of Bermuda Grass. May want to look them up and research this product.

greenman
10-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by digger1
not too familiar with warm season grasses. PBI Gordon (chemical company I believe in Kansas City, MO) has a product called Ornamec that is used for elimination of Bermuda Grass. May want to look them up and research this product.

Ornamec is NR for use in residential turf. The active ingredient is Fluazifop-p, which is the same ingredient in Fusilade II. Fluazifop will stress St.Augustine.

I have used Ornamec before in beds. It kills out Bermuda completely usually with one application,BUT it takes several weeks to die out. It does stop growth within 48 hours and is rainfast in 1 hour.

ProMo
10-30-2002, 08:41 AM
good luck with the crabgrass tropicare is spraying it with round up and massey told one of my customers that it was my job to get rid of it, im down to my last few ozs of asulox I use only on my lawn lesco just sold a freind of mines asulox it must have been the last jug because he got 3x what he paid for it

cutting edge
10-30-2002, 09:44 AM
Would atrazine work on the bermuda? St. Augustine is tolerant to atrazine, but bermuda has intermediate tolerance.

Fvstringpicker
11-01-2002, 08:50 AM
Atrazine is primarily a broadleaf herbicide (but St Aug safe). Hence, its not going to be much use on crabgrass. I have used Manor for bahigrass in centipede with good success and it took out the crabgrass and goosegrass too. I recommend you contact your Dept of Agriculture's county extention office

cutting edge
11-01-2002, 09:49 PM
Fvstringpicker,

I was wondering if atrazine would eliminate bermuda, not crabgrass, growing in St. Augustine.

Have you tried using Vantage on centipede to get rid of bahia? I have been using Manor also.

Fvstringpicker
11-06-2002, 07:02 PM
I've used atrizine as a broadleaf herbicide. I don't think it's going to be much use controlling bermuda. I've got good results no behiagrass in St Augustine and centipede with Manor. Thusfar, I've never used Vantage since Manor has worked well.

ProMo
11-06-2002, 07:29 PM
ive sprayed atrazine in bermuda to kill weeds and it has never affected the bermuda

Greg Amann
11-06-2002, 08:23 PM
For the bermuda grass use Roundup at 3 ozs./gallon of water. Use an edger to cut the perimeter of the area needing treated. A week after applying Roundup resod the area.
For crabgrass lightly sprinkle baking soda at a rate of 1 lb. per 100 sq. ft. This will kill the crabgrass in less than a week without effecting the St. Augustine at all.

Fusilade is not labeled for applying to St. Augustine turf.

greenman
11-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Greg Amann
For the bermuda grass use Roundup at 3 ozs./gallon of water. Use an edger to cut the perimeter of the area needing treated. A week after applying Roundup resod the area.
For crabgrass lightly sprinkle baking soda at a rate of 1 lb. per 100 sq. ft. This will kill the crabgrass in less than a week without effecting the St. Augustine at all.

Usually Bermuda will grow back when only 1 application is applied.
I have always had to use 2 applications at least.

The baking soda is a new one on me. Ill have to remember that. What else will it work on and what will it not work on?

5starlandscaping
09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Has anyone had any luck with using Fusilade II to kill unwanted bermuda in St. Augustine. I see KirbysLawn suggested it but was curious if anyone else has tried. I was under the impression that Fusilade killed all grasses.

scweedman
09-25-2007, 06:52 PM
will ornamec kill the st aug or yellow it

scweedman
09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
So back to the question at hand will anything kill crabgrass and bermuda
in St. Augustine. Has anyone found a good cure for Virgina button weed.