PDA

View Full Version : Poison oak ivy block

larryinalabama
08-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Any one try or using this stuff. Im trying it but still seem to get some flair up on me. Anything better?

Mudly
08-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Any one try or using this stuff. Im trying it but still seem to get some flair up on me. Anything better?

im pretty much immune to that stuff anymore. use to get it real bad now i can roll around in it. build up your tolerance.

THEGOLDPRO
08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
stuffs a waste of money. Just bring a bottle of dawn dish soap with you in the truck and wash your arms/legs/face/whatever you think came in contact with poison ivy.

You get a rash from the oils on the leaves, As you know dawn is famous for cutting oil, hence the reason the use it on animals during oil spills. Dawn works the best out of anything i have ever tried.

rlitman
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Dawn is good stuff, but lye soap is more often recommended for poison ivy.
Oh, and alcohol will dissolve the oil, but don't just use an alcohol wipe. That can just spread it around. You need to fully wash with soap, and then douse yourself with rubbing alcohol (kind of like a rinse).

Darryl G
08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Not sure I'd douse myself with rubbing alcohol due to inhalation toxicity and flammability. If you are going to, do it in a well ventilated area away from all sources of ignition!

rlitman
08-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Not sure I'd douse myself with rubbing alcohol due to inhalation toxicity and flammability. If you are going to, do it in a well ventilated area away from all sources of ignition!

I didn't say to breathe the fumes, but if you're concerned, you can get ethyl rubbing alcohol.
Yes, you don't want to do this around an open flame. I assumed that went without saying, but some people . . .

Darryl G
08-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I didn't say to breathe the fumes, but if you're concerned, you can get ethyl rubbing alcohol.
Yes, you don't want to do this around an open flame. I assumed that went without saying, but some people . . .

Well you didn't say to hold your breath either :p

In general, I think it's probably best to avoid liberally dousing oneself with flammable toxic liquids. Even ethanol is toxic by inhalation and can also be absorbed through the skin :hammerhead:

There are wipes that can be purchased at your local drugstore for cleansing after exposure to poison ivy/oak, but they're not cheap.

I think you are giving poor advice considering that there are safer alternatives available.

rlitman
08-17-2011, 01:09 PM
You're stretching the definition of toxic to the breaking point there.
Salt is toxic if you consume enough, as is water, and oxygen toxicity is well studied. I do not believe you can receive a toxic dose of ethanol through either skin absorption or inhalation (ok, breathe in enough, and it can knock you out, but that's still not "toxic").

More importantly, alcohol is the main ingredient in most hand sanitizers. Think Purel. Their instructions are to apply to the skin, rub in, and wait until it evaporates. If it's safe enough to market that way, then it's safe enough for me. Oh, and why do you think they call it RUBBING alcohol anyway? Sheesh.

Now, here's someone else's take on the subject:
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/conditions/a/poison_ivy.htm

Treating Poison Ivy Exposures
If you are exposed, according to the FDA, you should quickly (within 10 minutes):

first, cleanse exposed areas with rubbing alcohol.
next, wash the exposed areas with water only (no soap yet, since soap can move the urushiol, which is the oil from the poison ivy that triggers the rash, around your body and actually make the reaction worse).
now, take a shower with soap and warm water.
lastly, put gloves on and wipe everything you had with you, including shoes, tools, and your clothes, with rubbing alcohol and water.

Darryl G
08-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Not stretching anything. I know plenty about toxicity being an environmental scientist, having taken a graduate level toxicology class and having worked on countless hazardous waste sites, on many of them as the designated health and safety officer. It was recommended to "douse" yourself with isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol). Not a good idea in my opinion. It is the dousing that I have a problem with, largely due to the inhalation hazard and flammability concerns. I believe I have already stated that. Sanitizing your hands or wiping affected areas is a bit different than dousing yourself in the stuff. Agreed? And if something causes a central nervous system reaction that knocks you out it's toxic! Are you serious? Really? If something knocks you out it's not toxic???? I'm really glad you decided not to enter the medical profession, lol.

Here's the MSDS for isoproyl alcohol:

http://130.15.90.245/Chin-Sang%20Lab%20MSDS/Fisher/Isopropanol(MSDS).htm

Darryl G
08-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Just to clarify. Typical off-the-shelf rubbing alcohol is isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol). To confuse matters, you can also get rubbing alcohol made from ethanol (ethyl alcohol), which is the same ingredient in alcoholic beverages that causes intoxication. Intoxication is a result of being posioned essentially. Both forms of rubbing alcohol are flammable and both are toxic by inhalation, therefore I would not recommend bathing oneself in either of them. My original post merely pointed out that there are flammabilty and inhalation toxicity concerns with DOUSING yourself in rubbing alcohol, as recommended by someone. Is there really an arguement here?

rlitman
08-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Geez, you are serious?!?
You know that the MSDS for table salt, play sand and water ALL also list them as inhalation hazards.

So, sorry, I do not agree.

OSHA lists a permissible exposure level of 400PPM for an 8 hour work day.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/isopropylalcohol/recognition.html
At it's relatively low vapor pressure, you cannot get that kind of concentration in open air (maybe if you -doused- yourself while standing inside a garbage bag).

More importantly, they say:
"the lowest lethal inhalation concentration in rats is 12,000 ppm for 8 hours"
and
"The dermal LD(50) in rabbits is 12,800 mg/kg [NIOSH 1991]."
So basically I'd have to swim in it.

And that's for PURE isopropyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol (IF indeed you even buy the isopropyl variety, because ethyl alcohol is more prevalent and cheaper) is only 70%. The other 30% is water, which significantly lowers its vapor pressure in solution.

Continuing down the page:
"Effects on Humans: Isopropyl alcohol is an irritant of the eyes and mucous membranes. By analogy with effects seen in animals, it may cause central nervous system depression at very high concentrations [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Exposure to 400 ppm isopropyl alcohol for 3 to 5 minutes resulted in mild irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat; at 800 ppm, these symptoms were intensified [Hathaway et al. 1991]. . . . Prolonged skin contact with isopropyl alcohol caused eczema and sensitivity [Genium 1993]. Delayed dermal absorption is attributed to a number of pediatric poisonings that have occurred following repeated or prolonged sponge bathing with isopropyl alcohol to reduce fever."

So, they state "repeated or prolonged sponge bathing with isopropyl alcohol", caused poisoning of children. Pouring a bottle of it on your adult arms is NOT the same thing.

larryinalabama
08-17-2011, 08:58 PM
The reason I posted this thred is because I started a account about 2 months ago.It hat some huge azailas that cre covered in vines. So the first attempt to start remove I put poison ivy block on, the stuff is 13$ for a small bottle, it was suscessful onla a couple of small out breaks. Well Monday I pulled a lot more vines and today Im broke out with the stuff. GRant you when I see the poison oak I make all attempts to stay away from it and spray it if possible.

If this winds up being a trip to the doc then obiviously will have to give up the account.

Alchol sounds graeat I will try some and drink some Jack Daniels and get this stuff from the inside out

Darryl G
08-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Geez, you are serious?!?
You know that the MSDS for table salt, play sand and water ALL also list them as inhalation hazards.

So, sorry, I do not agree.

OSHA lists a permissible exposure level of 400PPM for an 8 hour work day.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/isopropylalcohol/recognition.html
At it's relatively low vapor pressure, you cannot get that kind of concentration in open air (maybe if you -doused- yourself while standing inside a garbage bag).

More importantly, they say:
"the lowest lethal inhalation concentration in rats is 12,000 ppm for 8 hours"
and
"The dermal LD(50) in rabbits is 12,800 mg/kg [NIOSH 1991]."
So basically I'd have to swim in it.

And that's for PURE isopropyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol (IF indeed you even buy the isopropyl variety, because ethyl alcohol is more prevalent and cheaper) is only 70%. The other 30% is water, which significantly lowers its vapor pressure in solution.

Continuing down the page:
"Effects on Humans: Isopropyl alcohol is an irritant of the eyes and mucous membranes. By analogy with effects seen in animals, it may cause central nervous system depression at very high concentrations [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Exposure to 400 ppm isopropyl alcohol for 3 to 5 minutes resulted in mild irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat; at 800 ppm, these symptoms were intensified [Hathaway et al. 1991]. . . . Prolonged skin contact with isopropyl alcohol caused eczema and sensitivity [Genium 1993]. Delayed dermal absorption is attributed to a number of pediatric poisonings that have occurred following repeated or prolonged sponge bathing with isopropyl alcohol to reduce fever."

So, they state "repeated or prolonged sponge bathing with isopropyl alcohol", caused poisoning of children. Pouring a bottle of it on your adult arms is NOT the same thing.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bob
08-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Getting back to yhour question, I've used a product called Ivy Block. It worked for me.

David Haggerty
08-18-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.oralivy.com/

This stuff works. It's kind of a PITA because you have to take it every day.
I used it because I used to get ivy poisioning so bad I always needed a cortisone shot to clear it up.
After 3 seasons of Oralivy, I'm immune.
If you want immunity bad enough it's availale. Cheap too, $13 per season. Everything else just treats the problem not the source of the problem which is your alergic reaction to the ivy.
It works like the new treatment they've come up with for kids with peanut alergies. Minute doses of the allergen, over time.

agrostis
08-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Larry , If you are sweating you will probably just sweat that stuff off in about 15 minutes. Different people have different reactions to poison ivy. That block has never worked for me. This is what i use after a outbreak. It is the best over the counter remedy i can find. http://www.tecnuextreme.com/

larryinalabama
08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Larry , If you are sweating you will probably just sweat that stuff off in about 15 minutes. Different people have different reactions to poison ivy. That block has never worked for me. This is what i use after a outbreak. It is the best over the counter remedy i can find. http://www.tecnuextreme.com/

Thanks for the tip Im defentally going to try that

2brothersyardcare
08-19-2011, 01:04 AM
ban roll on best stuff ever

David Haggerty
08-19-2011, 06:59 AM

I had a bottle of that I threw away after getting the Oralivy. Kind of pained me to do it since I'd paid so much for it.