PDA

View Full Version : This will be fun!!

BShaffer
08-16-2011, 11:01 PM
We all have different opinions on products, so lets see what every one says. Just picked up a nice lil spray account this evening the lawn is 95% centipede, and 5% bermuda. The lawn has Virginia buttonweed, crabgrass, beggerweed, doveweed, dollar weed, sedge, and I think I saw a dallisgrass plant or two. what would you spray to clean it up?

kbrashears
08-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Celsius. Then roll back in three weeks and hit buttonweed with Confront and hit Dallis with Celsius/revolver. Touch up other broadleaf weeds hanging around with 3-way. Finish off sedges with chem of choice. And bill accordingly, because you are going to spend a lot of time there.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
08-17-2011, 01:42 PM
You may want to consider eliminating the 5% bermuda. It might be easier to treat the lawn in the long run.

Falcon50EX
08-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Celsius. Then roll back in three weeks and hit buttonweed with Confront and hit Dallis with Celsius/revolver. Touch up other broadleaf weeds hanging around with 3-way. Finish off sedges with chem of choice. And bill accordingly, because you are going to spend a lot of time there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Celsius will smoke buttonweed .113 rate

kbrashears
08-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Celsius will smoke buttonweed .113 rate

Not quite like confront.

BShaffer
08-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Kbrashears,

is that 4 apps to get it cleaned up? I will have it done in two, two weeks apart. Im most concerned about the crabgrass, and the doveweed this time of year. Once we get into August and the plants have matured they are stubborn. Havent used much confront, sounds like your a fan of it. Celsuis has a nice label for grassy weeds, including dallisgrass, and put in a touch of speedzone, and that will burn down. The carfentrazone (sp) in the speedzone will burn the sedge pretty good. I have had good luck.

ArTurf
08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I recommend not using any products with 24D on centipede even if it is labeled for it. I don't use Speedzone but after taking a quick look at the label I didn't notice anything about sedges.

BShaffer
08-18-2011, 11:39 AM
I recommend not using any products with 24D on centipede even if it is labeled for it. I don't use Speedzone but after taking a quick look at the label I didn't notice anything about sedges.

The sedge isn't on the label that's what I have seen. Have u had bad results with 24d on centipede?
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
08-18-2011, 11:53 AM
The sedge isn't on the label that's what I have seen. Have u had bad results with 24d on centipede?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I have seen long term negative effects on centipede with 24D. I would recommend Celsius or Metsulfuron if it is broadleaves you are going after. For sedges Certainty, but it's expensive so you may need to consider this.

kbrashears
08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Kbrashears,

is that 4 apps to get it cleaned up? I will have it done in two, two weeks apart. Im most concerned about the crabgrass, and the doveweed this time of year. Once we get into August and the plants have matured they are stubborn. Havent used much confront, sounds like your a fan of it. Celsuis has a nice label for grassy weeds, including dallisgrass, and put in a touch of speedzone, and that will burn down. The carfentrazone (sp) in the speedzone will burn the sedge pretty good. I have had good luck.

No. I'd blanket the Celsius, then spot the next trip.

grassmasterswilson
08-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Celcius is good for lots of weeds

Speedzone southern is ok on centipede but I only use it when temps are very cool....maybe under 75.
Posted via Mobile Device

BShaffer
08-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Celcius is good for lots of weeds

Speedzone southern is ok on centipede but I only use it when temps are very cool....maybe under 75.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grass ur right on the temps, you must reduce ur rate with it. They celsius is nice but slow that's okay, until you have a impatient homeowner who is paying " all this money" for a result. Lawn fertilization and weed control has been dominated by one company here for 25 years. If you want to break their hold you have to be aggressive. Like it or not, good or bad that's how tg moves in. Being aggressive. So all that said I have to be aggressive, show results. For a initial application I have had great success with this combo. Never forget we live in an instant gratification society, we all want results.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
08-18-2011, 02:00 PM
I have had good results adding Quicksilver to either Manor or Celsius. When possible, I avoid Three Way or Speedzone southern on centipede and st augustine. It is a rare occasion that it is 75 or less in the day here. I am under tremendous pressure to deliver results. Big, tall weeds that take 2-3 weeks to go down will not sell. I have to break through the idea that the only way to maintain a lawn is by hand weeding. Lawn care here is about 100 years behind the times in Hawaii. It seems that the bigger the weed, the more dramatic the kill from the Quicksilver. At 1-2 oz added to sedge control herbicides, it even visibly damages nutsedge and kyllinga within a week. These applications are all done broadcast with a boom. It does not work the same if spot sprayed or applied through something other than a fan tip at set spacings and heights.

BShaffer
08-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I have had good results adding Quicksilver to either Manor or Celsius. When possible, I avoid Three Way or Speedzone southern on centipede and st augustine. It is a rare occasion that it is 75 or less in the day here. I am under tremendous pressure to deliver results. Big, tall weeds that take 2-3 weeks to go down will not sell. I have to break through the idea that the only way to maintain a lawn is by hand weeding. Lawn care here is about 100 years behind the times in Hawaii. It seems that the bigger the weed, the more dramatic the kill from the Quicksilver. At 1-2 oz added to sedge control herbicides, it even visibly damages nutsedge and kyllinga within a week. These applications are all done broadcast with a boom. It does not work the same if spot sprayed or applied through something other than a fan tip at set spacings and heights.

Doctor,
Looking at the Quicksilver label, I didnt realize it was carfentrazone as the active. The sedge burning your seeing is from that, That was the what I mentioned early in this thread. When I first saw the sedge getting burned with Speedzone southern, I called my rep and he said thats what people had been seeing. sedge isnt on the label but the carfentrazone will burn it. What are you using for goosegrass on st aug? is Revolver labeled for it?

greendoctor
08-19-2011, 01:13 AM
St Augustine is not on the label. However refer to the section of the label stating: "other warm season turf species and cultivars may be tolerant". I do know that well fertilized and watered st augustine will handle 20 oz Revolver. Do not try this on bahia, centipede or seashore paspalum. I use Revolver to remove those grasses from other warm season species.

Using carfentrazone to burn down sedges was a tip I got from the Monsanto Rep when I was discussing how slowly Certainty worked. He suggested Quicksilver + Certainty. Dismiss is not an option for me, it is illegal in Hawaii.

tillerstick
08-19-2011, 11:34 AM
If you want to get rid of the bermuda as well, a combo of sethoxydim and image works very well. I would mix in some micros or Iron to help with phyto though.