PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Deck Mowing Quality

Pro-Lawn&Grounds
08-16-2011, 11:18 PM
I was doing the lawn today at my place and I like to walk the front with the older bobcat I have ... I can't help but notice every week that I just like the cut of a fixed deck so much more than the floating decks ... I know everyone prefers floating decks but I think I'm going to add a Viking to the mowing rig ... I can never get the cut out of the turf tracer that I do with the fixed deck ...

Anyone else notice this?

gasracer
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree and so does my dealer. It is just being able to adjust the height all the way around makes things a little better.hard to change from 2" to 4" yard to yard. When I had my fixed deck I would air the rear tired up some and be able to get 3.5" out of it.

j-ville native
08-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm a little confused about what advantages you guys think fixed decks have over floating decks. I have a 42" fixed deck and I've never had a floating deck. Sometimes I wish it was a floating deck so I wouldn't have to worry about scalping on uneven turf.

gasracer
08-17-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm a little confused about what advantages you guys think fixed decks have over floating decks. I have a 42" fixed deck and I've never had a floating deck. Sometimes I wish it was a floating deck so I wouldn't have to worry about scalping on uneven turf.

Floating decks won't fix that problem. It may even make it worse. You have to learn the the uneven turf and how to mow around it.

j-ville native
08-17-2011, 07:43 PM
how about providing some reasoning why you think fixed>floating.

and i do mow uneven turf with the 21. i'd just rather do them with the 42. that's where having a floating deck would come in handy imo

93Chevy
08-17-2011, 07:46 PM
It's harder to mow hills with a fixed deck.

j-ville native
08-17-2011, 07:50 PM
thank you tim. i don't think those guys know what they're talking about

93Chevy
08-17-2011, 07:59 PM
You will still scalp with a floating deck. It's not a miracle. Just another tool.

j-ville native
08-17-2011, 08:11 PM
yes of course a floating can still scalp but the fixed deck can be scalp city when you go over any small dip in the ground. To each his own i guess but i'd much rather have a floating deck hover over dips in the ground and leave the grass uncut rather than have a fixed deck scalp at any small dip. You can always go back with the trimmer and get uncut grass but you can't do much after a scalp

Pro-Lawn&Grounds
08-18-2011, 01:51 AM
lol a floating deck scalps way more than a fixed deck ... I have a turf tracer and that deck weighs a freaking ton ... sometimes by the end of the day if we're changing heights we've got two guys doing it ... the idea of a floating deck is that it will hit the area with the scalp wheels and then "float" over until its even again ... but when the deck weighs a couple hundred LB and you're doing 4+mph its gonna rip up some turf

David Haggerty
08-18-2011, 08:34 AM
A floating deck would work better on rolling ground. Fixed works better on rough ground.
I had a customer that removed a fence, pulled the posts but didn't fill the holes. I mowed over it and you couldn't even see the holes! That's a good way for someone to break a leg! They finally filled the holes.

bmc1025
08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
If scalp wheels are in good condition and at the proper height for the mowing height, a floating deck is superior on uneven ground. IMOP

Snapper Jack
08-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I was doing the lawn today at my place and I like to walk the front with the older bobcat I have ... I can't help but notice every week that I just like the cut of a fixed deck so much more than the floating decks ... I know everyone prefers floating decks but I think I'm going to add a Viking to the mowing rig ... I can never get the cut out of the turf tracer that I do with the fixed deck ...

Anyone else notice this?
I prefer the solidness feel of a fixed deck over a floater. Not really convinced one has more of a cutting quality advantage over the other.