PDA

View Full Version : GC question

Ocutter73
08-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I was asked to be the General Contractor for a large job. A major addition (the pool) will be part of the bid. Ive gotten all my other subs prices and submitted them. I have the pool bid but the client wants a price breakdown. Hes done his homework and he knows what these components cost. Im adding my percentage to this bid but I do not want to spec out every price so that he can knit pick the estimate. Do you design build guys submit everything with out a price breakdown? I will list the components for him but I dont feel hes entitled to know what Im getting them for. Any advice?

Dr.NewEarth
08-17-2011, 11:58 PM
I won't give a price breakdown of every thing. I only give the package price and I tell the clients that too. I consider that an abnormal request from a possible pita.

We have to have some wiggle room to cover problems that may come up with the job and we need to make a profit.

I learned 20 years ago that people will take a detailed estimate list, go buy the stuff and either do the job themselves or get a friend to do it for cheap.

Ocutter73
08-18-2011, 06:25 AM
The most detailed I would get would be to "state" the 3 biggest ticket items for the pool and leave it at that. The retractable pool cover alone is $10,000. As to which I would state "this option is the highest" w/o adding a dollar amount. Oh I know he will be a pita. Got that feeling.