PDA

View Full Version : Bought A new X one

Landscape Poet
08-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Bought a brand new Hustler X one 48 today with the VX4 deck and 24 hp Kawi.

Like all new mowers I am in love with it now, but I am creating this thread to give everyone my thoughts as time progresses on how I like the new deck. Compared to my Ferris it seems much quicker, I feel like it actually even give a cleaner cut on SA so far. It will see several Zoysia lawns tomorrow so I am interested in how it does there as well.

Here are a couple of pics on the first lawn after I bought it this afternoon. The footprint seemed to be small considering a good downpour of rain had just past and the cut was clean as if it had not rained, deck showed no issues with clogging.

If you interested in these decks and how they do on our turf stay tuned as I will be giving photos and my opinions.

Florida Gardener
08-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Mike how much do you get for that property?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Mike how much do you get for that property?
Posted via Mobile Device

$175 - Just mow edge weed eat and blow....everything else is a extra as needed if the HO does not feel like doing. The price is also reflective of a $30 a month discount for the owner for discounts given for referrals (4) for neighbors as it is a growing gated neighborhood that I have about 19 accounts at this point. He has 4 more months before his rate adjust up again if he does not land another new account but they are about done building two houses on his street that have already and have sold and he has already informed them about me so we will see.

Florida Gardener
08-18-2011, 12:30 AM
$175 - Just mow edge weed eat and blow....everything else is a extra as needed if the HO does not feel like doing. The price is also reflective of a $30 a month discount for the owner for discounts given for referrals (4) for neighbors as it is a growing gated neighborhood that I have about 19 accounts at this point. He has 4 more months before his rate adjust up again if he does not land another new account but they are about done building two houses on his street that have already and have sold and he has already informed them about me so we will see.

How big of a lot?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Here is a photo of the mower itself for those that might be interested.

Landscape Poet
08-18-2011, 12:34 AM
How big of a lot?
Posted via Mobile Device

Estimated 20 K of clear open land.

williams lcm
08-18-2011, 04:30 PM
It seem like all new mowers cut awesum. Give it 500hrs then things seem to change. I was just wondering why you didnt get the bigger deck. I run a 60 thru all my yards. It works great even in the small yards. It does look like a nice mower. Nice and clean. I love getting new equipment. Good luck with new machine

Landscape Poet
08-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I was just wondering why you didnt get the bigger deck. I run a 60 thru all my yards.

While the extra production would of been great the larger mowers have a couple things going against what I do which 100% residential.

1. Gates - while I do also carry a 36 inch Mini Z for small gates....the 48 fits in most and is used when allowed to stop from losing time from getting the other machine off the trailer.

2. Anything bigger than a 48 seems to lean towards more of a chance of scalping which may go unnoticed in commercial sites but is very noticeable on a 5k residential.

3. 48 means I can keep my smaller trailer size. This means less weight which means less petro, less on tolls etc etc. Anything bigger than a 52 and that changes and as states before the 52 can cause issues with several existing clients lawns with gates.

I will report that I am impressed with it at this point. I took a photo this morning of some SA cut at 5 1/4 . Will see if I can get it uploaded shortly.

Landscape Poet
08-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Here is the photo from this morning. Nice and tall.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Looks good man.

Landscape Poet
08-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Looks good man.

Thanks Man. I got your number still but had not heard anything out of you in awhile. I will give you a buzz when things finally slow down.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Not hearing from me is good. Means I'm hot and busy. Sod jobs every week it seems. Not big but steady. Now that the crap has slowed, I'm in the mood to talk about the crap.

lifetree
08-19-2011, 12:12 AM
$ 175 for just 20 K of mowing area seems very high to me ... where are you located ??

Keith
08-19-2011, 12:30 AM
For one time, yes it would be high. He's talking about $175 a month.

South Florida Lawns
08-25-2011, 07:40 PM
I have seen hustlers cut on SA and I really like it. I have a friend that's been in this business forever, he has used almost every brand out there and for the past 10 years its only been hustler for him. I'm strongly considering one of those as apposed to another Toro.

Florida Gardener
08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
I have seen hustlers cut on SA and I really like it. I have a friend that's been in this business forever, he has used almost every brand out there and for the past 10 years its only been hustler for him. I'm strongly considering one of those as apposed to another Toro.

Hustler does leave a nice cut, easy to drive, and the deck goes up way higher than my zmaster. I'm actually selling my toro and buying another stander(42, RH, 20hp) in November.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-25-2011, 08:43 PM

Cut height is huge - can get to 5 1/4 on nice lawns and leave it flawless. The largest factor that I enjoy about the hustlers I have had is the speed. This one goes 12-13 mph. On large lawns with the HP I have in relation to deck size I have not had a issue with cutting at high rates of speed and leaving a good cut.
My production has increased to save me a large amount of time on several days this past week compared to the Ferris that I was using prior as the primary mower.

Landscape Poet
08-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I just wanted to ad that anyone who has tried Hustler in the past but has not tried the VX4 deck should do so. I think you will enjoy it on our turfs.

South Florida Lawns
08-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I just wanted to ad that anyone who has tried Hustler in the past but has not tried the VX4 deck should do so. I think you will enjoy it on our turfs.

I only run mulching mowers. With that speed are you mulching or discharging on that deck?

Chevy z71
08-26-2011, 11:07 PM
How munch did it cost if you don't mind me asking cause i have been wanting to compare this to the scag tiger cat.

Landscape Poet
08-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I only run mulching mowers. With that speed are you mulching or discharging on that deck?

I would not be able to tell you for sure. I know I am not running at full throttle but on some larger lawns I have had it damn near it and not experienced a issue with clogging or not leaving a clean cut.

Landscape Poet
08-27-2011, 12:15 AM
How munch did it cost if you don't mind me asking cause i have been wanting to compare this to the scag tiger cat.

It was roughly $5k after trading in my Ferris. With the trade in amount of $2K given for the Ferris. Should be able to pick one up for $7200 to $7600 would be my guess with the same set up.

mtmower
11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Any updates on mower likes/dislikes? Thinking of a 60" vx4 come spring. Am running 66" xr7 and really hate it. Lots of blower time for clippings up north here.

Landscape Poet
11-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Any updates on mower likes/dislikes? Thinking of a 60" vx4 come spring. Am running 66" xr7 and really hate it. Lots of blower time for clippings up north here.

So far I am pretty pleased with it overall.

I had a issue with it a couple weeks in. A small piece of metal was in the fuels way - it took a couple of trips to the dealer to get it narrowed down as it was very funny on how it would happen some of the time but not all the time. It would sound like it was firing on only one and then pop, bang - sounded kind of ghetto for a minute.
The dealer finally figured out the cause and of course it was covered under warranty and really had no down time as it did not affect overall performance to the point were I could not cut.

Since then all is good. I think it does a fine job on cut quality on our turf....the deck discharges clippings rapidly and without much build up even in the early morning dew.

Overall I am impressed with the handling of this machine, the small footprint it has and of course the speed is just fine too.
The only thing I can say bad about it is that it does not ride as smooth as my ferris - but it whoops it in every other catagory.