PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with these?

addictedtolandscaping
08-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Morning all. I just got an email from a guy I did an estimate for a couple years ago. They want to do something this year with LED's. HE gave me a specific example of "Morning Star Lites."

I just got off their website, and no luck in viewing the product. They describe it as a "hang once and enjoy all year" product. He stated it is "retractable" in some fashion. Really has me scratching my head.

Tq23
08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I found a product demo video on their site. It looks like retractable icicle lights that you leave up all year and can change the colors using a remote or control box. It seems like that kind of system would have problems come the winter months, retracting with snow and ice on the cords.....

addictedtolandscaping
08-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Finally had a little time to spend on the site, I found it thanks.

Looks kinda cheesy to me in all honesty. I am already shying away with the fact that they only offer a 12 month warranty. There is obviously motors and bearings involved for the retraction and it looks like it is expensive.He states "no icicles." I think his best option for something similar to this would be m-5 or m-6 with a dimmer.

Will see what I can discover.

Thanks again.

David Gretzmier
08-18-2011, 11:44 PM
I find it amusing that the company has pictures of beautiful homes running in flash at the top of the website, DAYTIME photos, and no homes are shown at night with product on them. The website was obviously done by a pro, yet no pictures of product, or install, and the only video of the product is some computer simulation? Please. According to the website, this product was invented 5 years ago and they have no photos? but hey, it's won awards ! inventor of the year !

addictedtolandscaping
08-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Nice concept, but like you said Dave, where are the pics. No evidence of the retracting mech etc. I was looking into the LED rope lighting a few years ago, it was selectable with color, if this was something I was going to do at my house, that is the way I would go.

I didn't spend alot of time on the site once I found the video. Honestly, I found the site to be a pita.

I gotta call Mike today and find out the pricing on the wide angle LED's. I a am thinking I will probably set the quote up with M-5's. They want multi color with white wire, easy enough. I also have to find out what the "platinum" level is going to save me with these. I have been arguing with myself over it sine I got the initial email.

turf hokie
08-19-2011, 08:06 AM
I would run from that job.

As said above, no night pics, only an animated mock up.
They also dont show any pics of what the system actually looks like, how bulky is this thing gonna be hanging under your eaves?

The pics they show dont even look like they have the system on them, no pic to see the product under the eave.

It seems like a novelty item, he should contact them directly and have one of their associates install it if he wants them that badly.

Cam.at.Heritage
08-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Quick look at their website and this doesn't seem like a professional product at all. Dispite this random Q&A on the left side
"Q:How long are the lights? A:Morning Star Lights are commercial standard grade size lighting. "

Also their site is very generic, take a look at the pictures....guy with headset....clipboard and keys?

I agree to just RUN... don't look back

Cam.at.Heritage
08-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Just found this on you tube also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPA4--RyDTY

addictedtolandscaping
08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I agree with you guys completely, and I also rendered the same oopinion to him and he seems to be in agreement.

I also called Omaha today and talked to Scott, the only issue will be they will have to be made with white wire - straight M-5 no crazy icicle etc.

Also got a call back from Mike, he and I agree that using either c-7 or c-9 will be a better option as it will enable me to control spacing. The last thing I ever want to do is create a Clark Griswold display. Good Lord absolutely not!!