PDA

View Full Version : sod install??

Bill Davis
10-29-2002, 08:12 PM
Today i did a bid on a sod install job and wanted to see what others in my profession would price for a similar job. I measured about 245 sq.yrds of Zoysia and five yrds. of top soil. with no prep work involved. There are no flower beds and only one small Bradford Pear in the yard. It really is pretty straighforward. The price for the Zoysia is $3.00 a yard delivered. Any estimates on what yall would charge for such a job would be appreciated. My estimate was $1465.00. Thanks, Bill D.

Lanelle
10-29-2002, 08:31 PM
In this area (zone 7) its too late to install warm season sod.

Bill Davis
10-29-2002, 08:38 PM
down here you can really install warm season sod anytime of the year b/c it doesnt get too too cold. the sod will just lie dormant and take good root in the spring. Do, you have any idea on what you would charge though??

greenman
10-29-2002, 10:08 PM
Bill Davis-I say you are about right on it. Looks like you bid about $2 sq.yd for install. Good luck. If you ever need any help with anything let me know, its gonna be hard on me this fall/winter.

Lanelle
10-29-2002, 10:35 PM
I would charge about $300 more than you quoted but the regional difference in labor costs and overhead could make that much difference.

greenman
10-29-2002, 11:22 PM
Bill Davis-after going back through some of my records and checking my pricing lists I usually charge $3 per sq. yd. to install sod only. So for delivery and install, charge about $6 per sq. yd. That would be $1470 for 245 sq. yds. How about the topsoil with delivery and install,$45- 50 per yd.? My estimate would be around $1650 to $1700.

I had a guy a couple of weeks back that told me that he would only pay me $1.25 per sq. yd. minus cost of sod to lay 500 sq. yd of sod. He already had a set price. Come to find out it wasn't 500 sq. yd it was more like 3000 sq.yd. I told him that he was crazy and that he would never find anyone to lay sod that cheap.:angry:

RwADesigner
10-30-2002, 02:53 AM
Man, do you guys have sod companies that install. They kill us down here. They charge for install/delivery for what we have to pay for it. I wish we could get more sod jobs. No way to compete with the sod farms. But that bid is right about where we would bid it. But. LOL...we dont ever win any bids on sod installation due to these wonderful sod farms.

kris
10-30-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by RwADesigner
Man, do you guys have sod companies that install. They kill us down here. They charge for install/delivery for what we have to pay for it.

One option would be to use this to your advantage ... sub out any sodding you get to them with a nice fat mark up for you.

Bill Davis
10-30-2002, 09:40 AM
Greenman, email me your Phone # and I will send you any work that I can give you. I just need it to stop raining so I can get some work done. Remember this is the time of year to start looking for new contracts in both commercial and residential areas. Thanks to everyone else for your input and keep it coming. The reason that my bid may have been a little low is because I am also drawing up a large landscape job for these people in the spring and I will make some $ on that. thanks again, Bill D.