PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems now with crabgrass?

Florida Gardener
08-18-2011, 08:17 PM
I am cutting my St Aug high as he'll and I still am getting emergence here and there...am I the only one?
Posted via Mobile Device

bugsNbows
08-19-2011, 10:17 AM
No you are not the only one... it's going nuts now. You do realize that baking soda sprinkled on damp grass will burn off the crabgrass very quickly???!!! The rate is about 1 lb. / 100 SF. It's not a permanent kill-off, but will quiet customer complaints.

Florida Gardener
08-19-2011, 10:20 AM
No you are not the only one... it's going nuts now. You do realize that baking soda sprinkled on damp grass will burn off the crabgrass very quickly???!!! The rate is about 1 lb. / 100 SF. It's not a permanent kill-off, but will quiet customer complaints.

Bugs I do know that but the customer has to be willing to pay me for that. It would be cheaper than an R&R though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
08-19-2011, 11:15 AM
All the lawns that I cut that are treated by a company starting with the letter "T" and the other company starting with the letter "M" are infested with crabgrass. All of these lawns would have been in much better shape with a few bags of Milorganite a year and insect control only. It really is amazing how shoddy their work is.

Landscape Poet
08-19-2011, 03:29 PM

There is a actual product for you spray guys out there that is essentially that. I promote Heron for L & O and they treat this areas with that mixture. It yellows the hell out of it and gets it do die back. If it is a small area they can usually get the SA to overtake the area again - big areas - not so much. But it does do a great job in getting the HO to see how much actual CG that they do have present in there lawn on the first treatment. That usually means sod workpayuppayuppayup

Ric
08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Bugs I do know that but the customer has to be willing to pay me for that. It would be cheaper than an R&R though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

I believe with only a limited Pesticide License you would be breaking the Law to treat crab Grass because you don't have the Commercial L & O License. Therefore Crab Grass isn't or shouldn't be your problem. Tell your Customers to contact their spray Company to control Crab Grass.

Florida Gardener
08-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Chris

I believe with only a limited Pesticide License you would be breaking the Law to treat crab Grass because you don't have the Commercial L & O License. Therefore Crab Grass isn't or shouldn't be your problem. Tell your Customers to contact their spray Company to control Crab Grass.

Ric, I know, we have beat that horse to death. It was a question to see if anyone else is having CG problems right now. It is my concern bc I am trying to not have more CG spread. Don't worry Ric, I wasn't asking what chems to control or what pre-emergents to apply. I'm not breaking any laws.
Posted via Mobile Device

bugsNbows
08-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Chris

That is a gray area because baking soda is not an EPA registered pesticide.

ProMo
08-19-2011, 10:24 PM
That is a gray area because baking soda is not an EPA registered pesticide.

ch 482.021-22.a defines pest control as (The use of any method or device or the application of any substance to prevent, destroy, repel, mitigate, curb, control, or eradicate any pest in, on, or under a structure, lawn, or ornamental) I do not see any grey area in the law.

Ric
08-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Ric, I know, we have beat that horse to death. It was a question to see if anyone else is having CG problems right now. It is my concern bc I am trying to not have more CG spread. Don't worry Ric, I wasn't asking what chems to control or what pre-emergents to apply. I'm not breaking any laws.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

What you don't understand is how Crab Grass grows or you would know if any one else was having Crab Grass problem.

CG is a annual which means it grows to maturity in one season. CG will put out Millions of Seed which are in fact viable for up to 15 Years. But Typical of annual seeds They germinate and grow quicker than Perennials and out competing them. Given the fact annuals love Water and the fact we have had a HUGE amount of rain this year and August is our wettest month, you better believe CG is popping up any where there is a NICHE for it to get a hold. A Niche is any weak or thin lawns where sunlight can hit the seed as it germinates. If you believe in Pre Emerge then it should actually be applied for CG control in July and August in our state because those are the highest Rain Fall months.

bugsNbows
08-21-2011, 10:53 AM
ch 482.021-22.a defines pest control as (The use of any method or device or the application of any substance to prevent, destroy, repel, mitigate, curb, control, or eradicate any pest in, on, or under a structure, lawn, or ornamental) I do not see any grey area in the law.

Your Ch. 482 citation is 100% correct. However, my reference was toward intent...not the actual legal provision. As an example, suppose a very high Phosphorus starter fertilizer is "touted" as also having fungicidal properties. If you apply this product (as a nutritional additive), but do indeed gain some fungicidal action, is that illegal? Thus the gray area I referenced. Intent always enters into this equation IMO.

Ric
08-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Your Ch. 482 citation is 100% correct. However, my reference was toward intent...not the actual legal provision. As an example, suppose a very high Phosphorus starter fertilizer is "touted" as also having fungicidal properties. If you apply this product (as a nutritional additive), but do indeed gain some fungicidal action, is that illegal? Thus the gray area I referenced. Intent always enters into this equation IMO.

Rick

OK, you are using the old Tree Hugger Argument to be able to apply Organic not registered by the EPA as Pesticides. I am not a lawyer so OK you win. But you and I both know this quickly leads to illegal applications when the Granola Crap doesn't work.

bugsNbows
08-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Agree 100% Ric. I was just being argumentative cause I get that way sometimes. LOL.

South Florida Lawns
08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
You guys should see the weeds up here. Seems like all lawns are going to crap, we got it all too, Crab Grass, Clover, Nut Sedge, dollar weed, torpedo grass you name it every one of those are present in most lawns in my area. And I'm talking accounts with irrigation and a squirt and fert, still going to hell.