PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone invented this yet?

siclmn
10-29-2002, 11:59 PM
I need something that will hold my precut trimmer line on my trimmer. What I do now is put some line in my pocket and it will sometimes fall out as I walk around.

Jimbo
10-30-2002, 12:19 AM
Duct tape??? I dont use pre-cut line...I use a bump feed head, as most others do.

Jim

Swampbeast
10-30-2002, 12:26 AM
Precut? Heres my advice for you. Take that little trimmer head, take it off the weedeater, and chuck that POS in the trash. Go to your nearest dealer and get a real trimmer head, like a bump feed by Echo, those are awesome.
Had a partner that had one of those, he used it for two days. We still tease him about it.
If you insist on keeping that, that thing! I would suggest just putting them in your pocket, thats the best way. You could try duct tape, but thats seems a big waste of time to me. What am I saying? the whole concept is a waste of time! Realistically, how long does it take to wind a trimmer head? It takes me about 1 1/2 minutes. Then I am good to go for the next two-three days. You have one of those precut heads, you not only spend more money buying the precut line, but you also have to stop evertime you want more line out, stuff it in, then get started again! Great big waste of time.
Of course this is just my own humble opinion. :D

:cool:

BigJim
10-30-2002, 04:47 AM
Heck yeah,throw that pre cut head away.A bump feed is quicker and saves you heaps of line.Pre cuts waste over half your line.

vipermanz
10-30-2002, 05:08 AM
velcro:confused:

Tony Harrell
10-30-2002, 06:44 AM
I think that product was targeted at homeowners. Ever notice the prewound replacement spools for sale? I'm still using my Ryobi's until they poop out on me. They wind with the spool still on the trimer, it's smooth.

TJLC
10-30-2002, 06:56 AM
My new Echo 200r came with the pre-cut style head. I used it ONE time and that was enough. I replaced it with an Echo bump feed, much better!

Shady Brook
10-30-2002, 08:18 AM
I would pitch the head, a terrible concept for commercial use in my opinion.

Jay

rodfather
10-30-2002, 08:32 AM
"86" the homeowner stuff...get a bump n' feed type.

Scraper
10-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Maybe he means the string he has "precut" to reload his commercial head so he doesn't have to walk back to the truck to reload? Man you guys have gotten tough.

turfguy
10-30-2002, 09:25 AM
I keep a spare head in my truck. when the first one runs out just spin on a new one. you can rewind the other one on friday when you do all your pm and misc stuff.

Darb
10-30-2002, 09:45 AM
I was talking with the Echo Factory Rep and he showed me a new trimmer head that he claims the "commercial guys" love. It used precut line. It was neat in that you didn't have to buy any special line. You could use any line you wanted just as long as it wasn't too thick or too thin. He even said that some people were using wire in it, so it would last longer. All you would need to do is to feed the line or wire one way into the head. It was the quickest precut line head I have seen. It holds on to the line kinda like the old chinese finger cuffs. Any way... just wanted to let you know that Echo has out a new product (so the Factory Rep says).

I do think this would be more expensive and it would be slower than the bump and run kind. The only saving feature would be using the wire. It would last longer, but I wonder if I would be conserned about that when I was picking wire fragments out of my legs.
Darb

Scraper
10-30-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by turfguy
I keep a spare head in my truck. when the first one runs out just spin on a new one. you can rewind the other one on friday when you do all your pm and misc stuff.

Now this one I can't figure out...heck, I'd need at least three heads to get thru a day. Maybe I'm using too much line, but I know I have to reload at least three times a day.

AielLandscaping
10-30-2002, 10:30 AM
Now this one I can't figure out...heck, I'd need at least three heads to get thru a day. Maybe I'm using too much line, but I know I have to reload at least three times a day.

dang that's a lot of line. i only have to fill a bump head once every week or two. plus a 30.00 spool lasts me a year. i'd hate to see how much you spend on trimmer line.

Bob Minney
10-30-2002, 10:37 AM
I know what you mean scaper, I go through 2-4 spools a day. I used to carry a leather tool pouch on my belt with 2 extra spools so I could change out without walking to the truck. I try to save every step I can. Somebody posted once about issuing fanny packs to their guys for this. Switched to that this year,much lighter and keeps dirt out.

I had one of those heads for pre-cut line. Did one house and took it off. Not for me.

Darb
That wire idea sounds like a bad accident waiting to happen.

Darb
10-30-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Bob Minney

Darb
That wire idea sounds like a bad accident waiting to happen.

You know it. Like I said I would hate to be pulling wire fragments out of my legs... or other areas I care not to think about.
Darb

Bob Minney
10-30-2002, 10:55 AM
:eek: ouch :eek:

you could get yourself in trouble trying to remove those fragments in the field:blush:

HarryD
10-30-2002, 11:17 AM
scraper
seems to me you need to change brands of trimmer string i can go almost all week before i have to put new on

YLC1
10-30-2002, 11:32 AM
I keep a length of line attached to the trimmer shaft just above the handle using a very high tech device.It's the twist ties that come in the box of trash bags.Just cut the line to the leghth you need and coil it around itself and loop it over the handle and secure it with the twist tie.Hope this helps,Richard:)

TLS
10-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Scraper,

What Brand trimmer are you using?

Double line, bump feed I'll assume.

More than one operator?

My Echos use .105 Echo Crossfire, (looks like this + ) It'll hold about 15' of line and that usually last's me a full week through my properties. Sometimes not, sometimes way longer, just depends. Anyway there has NEVER been a single day when I eat through a head full of line in a day.

I also use a stick edger for sidewalks and curbs.

I also have 2 head inserts. Keep one "pre-wound" and in my toolbox. Ever notice you tend to "run out" either a long walking distance to your trailer, or about 3 minutes before it gets TOTALLY dark, or TOTALLY starts POURING RAIN!?

corban
10-30-2002, 12:32 PM
No kidding. I can't tell you how many times I've had 3 ft more edging to go when the line disappears. Time to get on hands and knees and finish.

Scraper
10-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Using Tanaka with the Brain head. Doesn't hold more than 8' of line which is a drawback. Reason I go thru so much is edging sidewalks and curblines. That really eats it up fast. You guys that don't use much string must be pretty conservative on your trimming. For what line costs...it's not that much of an issue going thru it. Only takes a minute to reload so that isn't a big deal either.

Swampbeast
10-30-2002, 01:03 PM
8 feet of line?! Whoa, you need to get a new head! Buy an Echo head, they will fit on almost any weedeater, mine holds 40 feet of line. I go through a 860 foot spool of line every season with just a little left over. The Echo Cross Fire brand is awesome, it lasts forever. You might also want to invest in a stick edger, not only are they MUCH faster, but you only have to change the blade like once every three weeks.
That head you have is costing you man, go get yourself a better trimmer head. Reloading 3 times a day is horrible.

Scraper
10-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
8 feet of line?! Whoa, you need to get a new head! Buy an Echo head, they will fit on almost any weedeater, mine holds 40 feet of line. I go through a 860 foot spool of line every season with just a little left over. The Echo Cross Fire brand is awesome, it lasts forever. You might also want to invest in a stick edger, not only are they MUCH faster, but you only have to change the blade like once every three weeks.
That head you have is costing you man, go get yourself a better trimmer head. Reloading 3 times a day is horrible.

To each their own. I wasn't asking for advice...I am happy with what I've got. Thanks.

P.S. Reloading 3 times a day at 1 minute per reload is costing me what?

bubble boy
10-30-2002, 02:04 PM
stihl fs 85, you can get a good 20 feet of line in there. change maybe twice a week.

one minute or not, 3 times a day is annoying. even twice a week is annoying.

Swampbeast
10-30-2002, 03:24 PM
Yeah, thats what I think. Three times in a day? I would go beserk.
I can trim roughly 250-300 feet of grass in one minute. (roughly, this is just an average) So your losing about 750 feet of grass trimmed in that time. Thats not very much I know, but every little thing that slows you down is less time with family/friends/free time.

lakeviewnw
11-01-2002, 05:58 PM
You did'nt mention what brand of trimmer head you are using, but I know that Kwik-Loader (and the Echo version of the same head) offer a handy pouch that simply slides on to your belt, and holds the line so it is handy, whenever you need it