PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna Quick Cuts

Cam.at.Heritage
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
So our Stihl 700 cut off saw died and we are looking at getting a new one. The options are another Stihl 700 or Husqvarna r960 which are comparable but Husqvarna is $300 less.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Husqvarna.
Thanks

DVS Hardscaper
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
So our Stihl 700 cut off saw died and we are looking at getting a new one. The options are another Stihl 700 or Husqvarna r960 which are comparable but Husqvarna is $300 less.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Husqvarna.
Thanks

How much is the Stihl? 300'less for the other is insufficient info
Posted via Mobile Device

Cam.at.Heritage
08-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Cost isn't really the issue, but if it matters then the Stihl is $1350 with Husk at $1050.

I will gladly spend the extra 300 if someone tells me husk is crap. But I am not going to waste the money if its comparable.

TomG
08-19-2011, 04:47 PM
I have never herd of a Husqvarna r960, but we own 2 Husqvarna K960's and they are great. Husqvarna's in my opinion are the best saws out there. We own stihl's, old partners and wacker saws also and I like the Husqvarna's the best and they are the most reliable for us.

DVS Hardscaper
08-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I have never herd of a Husqvarna r960, but we own 2 Husqvarna K960's and they are great. Husqvarna's in my opinion are the best saws out there. We own stihl's, old partners and wacker saws also and I like the Husqvarna's the best and they are the most reliable for us.

I bought a brand new Stihl in may. Paid $900.00. But also buy about 3 various Stihl products a year.

That's why I axed bout the price. Offer them $1000. Or go elsewhere
Posted via Mobile Device

waters lawn care
08-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Buy the sthil. I've ran both no comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Still. FTW.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Sorry it is a K960 my bad.

And as much as I appreciate you DVS bragging on your price for the saw you are south of the border and I doubt the pricing is comparable.

Thanks for everyone advice...I we have had some issues with our stihls in the past so I am not appose to something new.

xtreem3d
08-19-2011, 05:53 PM
You didn't mention Makita but i love mine http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MAKITA-Power-Cutter-2KUX3?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Power%20Tools-_-Power%20Saws%20and%20Accessories-_-2KUX3&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=2KUX3
thay also make a 16" version..good luck on the new "toy" whatever it is !!

DVS Hardscaper
08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
I have no idea what south of the border means. You asked about prices. 1300 is too much, does that include a blade? I'd presume the prices are the same, being Stihl isn't an American company.

Also, Stihl has made many improvememts to their cut off saws.
Posted via Mobile Device

shovelracer
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
We have a Husky cut off saw and it has been great. We had one small issue with the fuel line getting a hole and the gas cap seeps, but i suspect both are related to how it is cared for. More like uncared for. It tends to get put away dirty, which I realize is not ideal, but I have other battles. I've never used the stihl, but I like the husky better than the wacker we used to use. Now I do have 2 stihl chainsaws and a husky, we also have switched most of our maintenance equip over to stihls. I find the carbs to be more finicky, and they seem to have more plastic parts that break. Little things like the choke knobs and triggers. I've been abusing my husky chainsaw for years and it keeps taking it.

zak406
08-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Every stihl cutoff saw I have used has been hard to start/picky when being started... With that being said I have only used stihl cutoff saws. The local sunbelt around here had a husky cut off saw (dont remember model) and 3 diamond blades for 1000

zak406
08-19-2011, 07:11 PM
I have no idea what south of the border means. You asked about prices. 1300 is too much, does that include a blade? I'd presume the prices are the same, being Stihl isn't an American company.

Also, Stihl has made many improvememts to their cut off saws.
Posted via Mobile Device

By south of the border he means you usa, he seems to be located in kitchner ontario! You go to any kitchner ranger games up there?

scagrider22
08-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Ive have 2 Stihl TS420's, a Partner k750 and a Husky k760, the Husky and the partner are the same saw. I am selling both Stihl saws, the carbs are very finicky. My Partner is about 8 years old and Ive had zero issues with it, my husky is only a few weeks old but it is identical to the Partner. Also when cleaning the air filters the Stihls are always dirtier.

Cam.at.Heritage
08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the input, so far it seems like Husk is probably worth the savings.

And yes my boss has season tickets to the rangers so I do get out and enjoy a game, not a huge follower myself though.

scagrider22
08-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the input, so far it seems like Husk is probably worth the savings.

And yes my boss has season tickets to the rangers so I do get out and enjoy a game, not a huge follower myself though.

The Husky would still be worth it if it cost more!

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I just bought a Stihl 420 and it starts no problem right now. My dealer said to let the filter go until it starts to act up than replace it/clean it. The theory is dust get's past the filter and scars the cylinder walls. :confused: Goes against conventional wisdom for a car guy. Also keep plenty of stabilizer for your fuel. The ethonal fuels now day's is killing a lot of carbs. My buddy had to replace his stihl carb and it's just a year old.

Cam.at.Heritage
08-19-2011, 08:38 PM
I just bought a Stihl 420 and it starts no problem right now. My dealer said to let the filter go until it starts to act up than replace it/clean it. The theory is dust get's past the filter and scars the cylinder walls. :confused: Goes against conventional wisdom for a car guy. Also keep plenty of stabilizer for your fuel. The ethonal fuels now day's is killing a lot of carbs. My buddy had to replace his stihl carb and it's just a year old.

Your dealer is wrong....clean that filter every chance you get!!!We make sure our guys clean them after any substantial lenght of cutting. But he is right about the cylinders, that why our stihl died.

zak406
08-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Thats awesome!

Lite4
08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I have had both. The Stihl's carbs are a pain if the filters get a little dusty and they can be finicky to start. The husky takes a beating and just smiles. I think the husky is slightly lighter weight also.
Posted via Mobile Device

P.L.
08-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Husky, I have 4 and they all run good

DVS Hardscaper
08-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Your dealer is wrong....clean that filter every chance you get!!!We make sure our guys clean them after any substantial lenght of cutting. But he is right about the cylinders, that why our stihl died.

Not sure if you're talking the new saws or the older ones.

Ours is brand new. The dealer (whom is a HUGE Stihl dealer here) told me to change the filter once a year. I chuckled when he said it. And he responded with "I'm serious, the new saws only need 1 filter a year".

We have had ours for 3 months and so far so good. Havent touched the filter.

As far as carbs, I had a Stihl cut off saw that lasted 10 years. Never any carb problems. Hard to start? Yes, from time to time, but really only on occasions.

Any engine (2 cycle, 4 stroke, diesel) will have a scored cylinder if it sucks dirt. It's important to make sure NO dirt can make it through/past the filter. And when you change the filter you have to be very careful not to let dirt go into the carb. My guys will see dirt around the carb and they'll blow it away with their mouth - thats the worst thing you can do as you may be blowing dirt into the carb's throat, which will be sucked into the cylinder. It'll score the cylinder wall and you'll lose compression.

I had a brand new diesel 20 hp John Deere tractor that sucked dirt. 130 hours and an engine that all it would do is crank and crank and crank. No compression to fire. Turns out JD didnt have a good filter set up, it was only single stage, not dual stage.

SDLandscapes VT
08-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Kudos to the poster with the makita saw. makita gas products are rebadged Dolmar units and their chainsaws and such cant be beat for the money

xtreem3d
08-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Kudos to the poster with the makita saw. makita gas products are rebadged Dolmar units and their chainsaws and such cant be beat for the money

thanks...i used to use stihl saws but way too many problems with all the plastic switches and pieces (including chainsaws and pole pruners) won't buy any of their stuff again . Alot of concrete guys i saw on jobsites here were using Makita so i decided to try it
Steve

DVS Hardscaper
08-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Stihl doesn't want Girly men running their saws. So they make them so that if you don't have the arms to work the starter - you can't use their saws and get hurt.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Some more info on Stihl's Saws:

1) I ahd mentioned that their air filters need replaced only once a year. That is what Stihl claims. HOWEVER, I found out that Stihl bases that claim on the premise that you use water when cutting!!!!!

Fact of the matter is....most of us DO NOT use water when running the cut off saws! Therefore, plan to change the filter on routine basis.

2) Starting
Since 2007(?) Stihl's saws conform to the new EPA rules.

Many of us have been around equipment all our lives.

We get a new machine and never even bother opening the operation manual. We don't need that stinkin manual, we been running saws since we were 10!

WRONG!!!

This is where people are having trouble starting their Stihl saws!

These saws are very tempermental. And flood easily. You HAVE TO follow the steps in the manual exactly as layed out when starting the saws. If you do exactly as it says - the saw will start every time.

If you try to start the saw as you were used to with your 5 yr old saw - it ain't gonna start and you'll be irritated. Just like a car with a carberator vs fuel injection. With a carb you may pump the gas when cranking. Where as with fuel injection you do not touch the gas. Very similar scenerio with the new power equipment.

One thing about Stihl's saws - say you've been running the saw and it's good and hot. You shut it off and do some measuring, glue some block, and so forth. You're about to make another cut. Well - if the saw has gone more than 5 minutes without running - you need to put the choke on 1/2 choke when you go to start it. I found this out first hand. Otherwise - it may not start. Stihl spells this out in the manual. You gotta READ that manual!

zedosix
09-16-2011, 10:08 AM
I agree with dvs about being finicky to start and about not reading the manual. Guess I shoulda read it cause I bought a husky last week got a free blade with it (impressed with the blade as well) paid 1050 for it and it starts all the time. I didn't read any manual cause I don't want to take the time. The two stihls I have remain in the cargo trailer and the husky goes to the job. If we need a second on site I grab for my older ts 400. That new stihl works great but only if you don't flood it. I think its too tempermental to be rated a great saw.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
09-16-2011, 05:59 PM
And I thought you where a gearhead..that Z06 is making you soft.:laugh: I have no problem with my new 420, it starts everytime even without the choke sometimes. Now I'll probably eat my words next time I go to start it.

SVA_Concrete
09-16-2011, 06:26 PM
I have the huskey. Paid 850 and I like it much better than the stihl 420 I had.

It has more power and starts every time. Not finikey at all. No problems or complaints with the Latinos and the oil guard is great with a crew
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I believe the starting problem occurs more with an immigrant workforce because they don't quite understand fuel/air mixture and why.

And the problem is with people that haven't read the operators manual. Notice I said "operators manual" not "owners manual".

I went to stihlusa.com and printed out the SPANISH starting instructions for the guys.

Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
09-16-2011, 09:57 PM
STIHL = Female saw -- must be turned on in just the right fashion order etc, and if you miss one step you are out of luck for at least a day

Husquvarna = Male saw -- tell it lets go and it is running.

zedosix
09-17-2011, 11:19 AM
STIHL = Female saw -- must be turned on in just the right fashion order etc, and if you miss one step you are out of luck for at least a day

Husquvarna = Male saw -- tell it lets go and it is running.

Bingo! I do love my stihl chainsaws though, they work like a charm.