PDA

View Full Version : X-blades

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
10-29-2002, 11:03 PM
payup I have been seeing more and more talk about guys using double blades,Whats up with this,Are you acually doubling the number of blades per spindle or can you purchase a solid double blade,And isn't this hard on spindles ?
Does it acually mulch leaves and grass up finer and would this work with an Ultra Vac System attachment on my EmarkZTR ?
Thanx,and KEEP ON CUTTIN!

Swampbeast
10-29-2002, 11:20 PM
I just stack two blades on the spindle in an X shape and tighten the livin crap out it. Then mow like usual, though I would not recommend doing it if you have like a 52 inch mower with a 15 horsepower engine. I use it on my 48inch 17 HP, and my 36 inchers.
They work good, shreds everything into super fine particles.

:cool:

greenman
10-29-2002, 11:32 PM
Lawn and Garden- the best and quickest way to find out about doubles is to do a search on double blades, there are hundreds of articles about doubles. Do you have a mulch kit on your Exmark?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-30-2002, 12:38 AM
On the 60" I don't like double blades, but the 52" it works pretty good.

My dealer gave me some sets to try.

Dixiechopper double blade brackets (NEW DESIGN)

Part #DIX-900003 $70.00

These will fit 5/8 bolt holes and .630

They are half as thick as the originals.

Gravely_Man
10-30-2002, 03:19 PM
Doubles is the way to go. Just "try it you like it." Go with the search feature as this subject has been discussed in great detail. Not all mowers work well with doubles.

Gravely_Man

summitgroundskeeping
10-31-2002, 03:20 PM
You can put them on small w/b with tiny motors. I have a 48" GD Scamper hydro with a 14hp. kaw. The doubles work really well on it too. I was suprised because I didn't think it could handle the extra blades, but suprisingly it works great.

dr grass
10-31-2002, 07:56 PM
i have no experience with using double blades. i will however, start to experiment with them next year on my new lazers! woo hoo !!! i cant wait!!!

shep :blob4:

Runner
11-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Tom,
Anytime you want to see the difference and check them out, you just let me know. I'd be happy to meet up sometime and show ya. Oh! By the way, we still have to hook up for breakfast sometime.:blob4:

John DiMartino
11-01-2002, 10:39 PM
Doubles do work great,but they arent for every mower,my 60" dixie cuts much better with them,but they take all the power away from the mower,on a flat lawn its ok,but if its got hills,you need to slow to a crawl or bog the mower down.I have the 25hp,im sure with the new 26EFI or with the kawi,s doubles will be fine,even on hills.I wish i had the power to run them,because they really cut great.

Swampbeast
11-02-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by John DiMartino
Doubles do work great,but they arent for every mower

This is perfect. He is right, they work great on some mowers, others, they dont. Its that simple. Just dont over burden your engine thats all.

Good luck!

:cool:

HOMER
11-03-2002, 07:28 AM
Or you can always do what I do on my 72".

Run one regular length blade and one 48" from my Scag. Get pretty much the same effect but you aren't putting as much strain on the engine. I just can't see running 6 24" blades on it with the 25 Kohler........just wouldn't seem fair.

My little Lawnboy has the 4 sided mulching blade above the regular blade. I am extremely impressed with how well it mulches. When I get time I'm even gonna try it on the Chopper if the hole is the right size.:D