PDA

View Full Version : redmax backpack blower wont run at wot

bikerpbl
08-19-2011, 05:45 PM
my neighbor gave me this blower to fix for him. it idles perfectly but will not run at wot. i cleaned the spark plug air filter and fuel filter and cleaned the carb, and that hasnt worked. any ideas

GlynnC
08-19-2011, 07:54 PM
my neighbor gave me this blower to fix for him. it idles perfectly but will not run at wot. i cleaned the spark plug air filter and fuel filter and cleaned the carb, and that hasnt worked. any ideas

Pull the muffler and check the exhaust port for carbon--clean with something like a popcicle stick. If you use a screwdriver, be very careful not to damage the piston or cylinder. Check to see if the spark arrestor in the tip of the muffler is clogged.

If an engine starts and idles but will not wind up, I find it usually is a blocked exhaust flow.

bikerpbl
08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
i looked at it and it looks clean. any other things it could be

RickyDL77
08-22-2011, 08:22 AM
i looked at it and it looks clean. any other things it could be

check the piston, if bad/stale fuel, or low grade gas or oil was used it could have litteraly burned a hole through the top of the piston. Might be hard to see without taking apart. can try take off the engine cover and muffler, taking out the spark plug and shining a light down through the spark plug hole. Move the piston so that its as flush with the exhaust port as possible. The piston should have a slightly pointed dome pointed upwards. if there is none then the piston has overheated and "melted" usually causing cracks similar to an earthquake. Can look at pictures on my profile under redmax for examples. It's caused by prignition due to bad fuels over time.

Also does there seem to be any odd noises comming from the engine throughout the rpm range? mainly does it start "pinging" once it gets to the point of cutting out?

RickyDL77
08-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Also try and run without the muffler on and see if there is a difference, have seen insect nests in mufflers that have been sitting. Mud Diver Wasps are bad for that.