PDA

View Full Version : Are Chevy 8500's Junk?

4 seasons lawn&land
08-19-2011, 08:48 PM
I see a local classified add for a tandem chevy dump lists all the things it has new which seems like way to many things to need replacement at 100,000 miles

102kmi, tires 70%, new brakes, injectors & pump, all new mtr & trans mounts, clutch & trans, clean, ready to work

knox gsl
08-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I would stay away from it. Most of those trucks shouldn't be used for anything over 33k and a tandem drive axle truck will get you 50k lbs. Also if the tires are at 70% at 100k miles its had some rough driving as these are most likely its second set, or a bunch of miss matches. I would think that this guy is trying to sell a money pit.

tnmtn
08-20-2011, 09:48 AM
i wouldn't run from one of these. but would question whether it's what you need. Probably has a cat engine and depending on what year could be a ok engine. these weren't cats best engines. check the hp ratings for the engine and chances are it is 250 or below. if this is the case that can be dealt with if you have enough gears and don't mind shifting them. i wouldn't want to haul full loads of rock but for mulch or debris it may work out. they are basic work trucks though and you get what you pay for. if you need an occasional dump truck it may work. to build a business around the truck it may not be the best choice. but way to many variables not mentioned about the truck to base a decision on or really even give any good advice. i have an old c65 with a gas engine and who knows how many hours. it has been worked very hard in its life and on occasion i work it very hard. its loud, slow, no ac, but continues to deliver the goods where i need them. sometimes up some crazy mountain roads. for what i paid for it it has been a great addition.