PDA

View Full Version : FX trans door troubles

David Gretzmier
08-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Had a client call me a few days ago asking for me to replace the door on her 7 year old 600 watt FX trans. apparently someone took the door off and had laid it somewhere and we had some pretty hurricane like storms here about 10 days back, and the door either blew off somewhere or it was taken.

So I call my local Ewing distributor where I bought these, and luckily they have not changed the design they started with 10 plus years ago. so the door should be available as a part, right? wrong. FX does not sell the door. they called the FX rep and the factory, same answer. no doors for sale.

I admit, I have never needed an FX door before, so this must be rare. but what hurts is what I have to tell my client. buy and install a new transformer because of a lost door? I had one FX trans I replaced a few years back from lighting damage, and wish I had saved it. I could at least use the door.

I was wondering if anyone out there might have an FX 300w or 600w laying around with a good door ( I believe they have the same cabinet ) or if anyone has any other ideas.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-20-2011, 08:46 AM
David, I would call higher up the mgt chain at FX. Surely they can provide you with a door to their transformer. It might not be listed as a part number, but it is pretty obvious they they would have them in inventory. Some one should help you out here.

Lite4
08-21-2011, 02:24 PM
No doubt. I would think someone there would take care of you. Let us know how it comes out so I will know whether or not to use FX anymore in the future due to poor service.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
08-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't have a cozy relationship with anyone at management at FX, but I have not given up. I will try calling them next week. It just boggles my mind that they don't have doors laying around. they only have 2 cases, one for the 300 and 600 and one for the 900. They've been making the same transformers for over 10 years now.

indylights
08-21-2011, 09:59 PM
David, just call their main office. Somebody, a rep, the warehouse guy, the warranty department, someone has one laying around. I've had a rep (not an FX rep) give me one out of the back of his truck before. Somebody there has to have one they can give or sell you. If not, I agree with Tim, that is some of the poorest customer service I have ever seen.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

GreenLight
08-22-2011, 07:16 AM
I have had some difficulties myself with the folks at FX. It could have just been a bad experience and it wasn't a matter of rudeness or anything, only lack of knowledge and a basic need to pass the buck. Granted, some of the responsibility lies on me. I made the mistake of installing about 20 of their Trellis Solare lights about 3 years ago on various jobs. It's a small downlight that generally matches well with painted wood grain posts and arbors. Well the mistake I made was not putting a few in the field and testing before I installed 20 some odd lights. To say I have had problems with them would be an understatement.

For starters, almost half of them have allowed water to the socket. I have put extra silicone in the back, but it hasn't helped. I have come to the conclusion that the open air shroud allows water to back into the fixture even when pointed down (once again, that is actually on me) or that these guys somehow accumulate condensation. The part that really has been a pain is the bulbs. They come with a frosted ar 11 from the factory and suffice to say, I will avoid any fixture with this bulb from now on. For starters, my suppliers RARELY ever have them in stock and they range in wholesale price from $13.00-$20.00 per BULB.

Both times I have spoken with people at FX they had to look up what an AR 11 bulb was as they had never heard of it. Furthermore, they didn't really seem to even know what fixture I was talking about while conversing. It had a twilight zone feel to it, as it seemed I knew a lot more about their line than they did. Anyway, I finally chalked it up as a lesson learned and moved on, replacing the ones which had failed with different fixtures. I guess my long winded point is, im not real sure what's going on at FX, but I can vouch for the fact that they aren't terribly helpful in customer service.

Alan B
08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
David I know they are different transformers but the door on our VOLT® 300w and 600w transformers measure:

6 1/2" W x 16 1/2"T. If it fits (or is close so you can modify it), you are welcome to have one. Just give us a call and we'll ship out same day free of charge.

See pic for hinge type and location.

This is the type of scenario where there can be advantages to our distribution model (factory direct). We have all the parts to all our products in stock, ship same day and know all about them.

David Gretzmier
08-22-2011, 08:16 PM
ah, the power of the internet. I received a call today from a gentleman representing FX, I believe from atlanta. He has agreed to ship me a door, apologized for the confusion, and admits this is the first door he has had to ship in almost 3 years. Apparently he had to clear it with UL that they can even ship the door. but whatever the issue, he assured me it was on the way. I also received a pm from a gentleman that posts on here for FX from time to time that he would see to it that I would get a door some way. I do appreciate the offer from Alan, and I would like keep that option open to me if I need another door in the future. I will finalize up this thread when I get the door and install it.

David Gretzmier
09-01-2011, 11:48 PM
just thought I'd let you guys know that the door came to my local ewing distributor, and although it is a 300w door instead of a 600w, my client was happy to have it. since FX procided it for free, I provided it to my client free.

Classic Lighting
09-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm glad to see it worked out. The internet is a powerful tool.

SPEEDSKI
09-04-2011, 07:53 PM
This is one reason we keep transformers that have gone bad and use them for parts.

All of the UL info, date codes and serial # is on the door, so I would think that would be the main issue with just selling doors.

Try and get a door for an irrigation controller and you will run into the same problem.