PDA

View Full Version : Need Help- No Trailer Lights

bob
08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
My trailer has no "parking" lights. I've got brake & turn signals. When I plug the trailer socket into my truck , it blows the "trailer parking light" fuse. I replaced both of my trailer lights, but that didn't solve the problem. The connector plug is almost new and has no corrosion. MOst of the wiring is in the protective loom and I can't find a short. Any ideas?

PlantscapeSolutions
08-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Remove your trailer taillights and make sure the wires aren't getting pinched and worn bare. There are groves on the back of some lights that are supposed to act as protective channels to keep the wires out of harms way. I had one small section of wire come out of the channel when a repair was done and it wore through the insulation. The wire grounded out and started eating fuses.

It sounds like your grounding out some place.

93Chevy
08-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Yeah, you're definitely grounding out somewhere...you just have to look at it and see...just start tracing wires. I know it sucks, but it just needs to be done.

knox gsl
08-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Unplug the trailer and use an ohm meter to check for a dead short in the running light circuit. It does sound like a chaffed or pinched wire. I've found that it's cheaper and easier to just rewire a trailer when they start giving me problems like this. I also installed LED lights so I wouldn't be fooling around with burnt out bulbs.

93Chevy
08-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Unplug the trailer and use an ohm meter to check for a dead short in the running light circuit. It does sound like a chaffed or pinched wire. I've found that it's cheaper and easier to just rewire a trailer when they start giving me problems like this. I also installed LED lights so I wouldn't be fooling around with burnt out bulbs.

Yeah definitely...sometimes I go to replace a bulb and it's not the bulb that's fried...just the wiring somewhere. With LEDs you know it's not the bulb.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-21-2011, 12:13 AM

I have done LED swap outs on two of my trailers. My other three trailers already had LED's on them. LED's are twice as bright and add a safety factor. Plus dicking with conventional bulbs gets old.

With LED's they demand a better ground connection. It's important to keep your trailer hitch and ball clean. A little conductive grease you can get at any auto parts store is a good investment.

bob
08-21-2011, 03:19 PM
There are groves on the back of some lights that are supposed to act as protective channels to keep the wires out of harms way.

The new ones that I installed have those groves. I stacked some washers on the mounting bolts ,to keep the wires from getting pinched.

ecurbthims
08-21-2011, 05:32 PM
if you had this problem before you replaced the lights ,you have an issue with the wiring itself .You need to go through the entire harness and look for a rotten,rubbed,broken etc wire and repair that or replace

AI Inc
08-22-2011, 05:39 AM
You can replace the entire harness in about 10 minutes for about $22.

bob
08-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all your input. The side marker light had a pinched wire.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-22-2011, 11:26 PM
That's almost exactly what happened to my trailer. The wire is supposed to through the two groves.