PDA

View Full Version : starter just clicks - Toro Z5000 Kohler

robro1102
08-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Need help please:

I have had the Toro Z5000 for about four years. The other day I went to mow and it cranked right up just like always. When I got out in the yard, I thought I smelled something burning. I thought either a belt or maybe it was low on oil. I rushed back to the garage and shut it off. I removed old grass to check belts and sprayed water to removed a bunch of old matted grass. I even added a little oil since i couldn't tell if it was low or not since the engine was warm.

Now, when you turn ignition, starter just clicks. I have checked PTO switch, checked both fuses, bench tested solenoid, bench tested main kill switch, both arm lever switches, and had battery checked just in case. I replaced the solenoid just to be sure. Also, the battery is about two months old.

Just in case it matters, the voltage drops from 12 to 7, when the ignition switch is tuned over and you hear the click.

I took the starter off of the mower and bench tested it. It engages in and out and spins like i think it should when power is applied direct. Put it back on the mower and it never turns over, just clicks. It seems to stay engaged and never disengages.

There is a PTO clutch/brake switch on the bottom of the shaft, underneath the engine. I disconnected and cleaned with air compressor as best that I could. I don't know if that did anything, but I'm not sure what else to do with it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Restrorob
08-20-2011, 05:01 PM
the battery is about two months old.Just in case it matters, the voltage drops from 12 to 7, when the ignition switch is tuned over and you hear the click.

The above shows a low battery voltage (should be 12.5) or bad battery no matter how old it is, Charge the battery and try it again. If still no go and you still drop to 7 volts replace the battery.

Once you get it running on a good battery check the charging system output across the battery, It should be 13 to 14.5 volts at higher RPM's depending on charge state of the battery.

BTW, You eliminated a starter issue by bench testing......

robro1102
08-20-2011, 05:52 PM
I've got people telling me that rust on the flywheel might be the problem. Does that sound possible?

robro1102
08-20-2011, 06:06 PM
What about ground problems?

Restrorob
08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
I've got people telling me that rust on the flywheel might be the problem. Does that sound possible?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl2.gif ........ Nope !

You can check the negative battery cable where it bolts to the frame/engine, But I still feel your issue is the battery and or possible charging system.

robro1102
08-20-2011, 08:15 PM
hey thanks for offering your help. I cleaned the flywheel and magnetic contacts. still nothing. I ran a ground wire from neg battery terminal to a frame bolt. That didn't do any good either.

I tried jumping with the car as well. Wouldn't that take care of a bad battery problem?

robro1102
08-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Well I just jumped two top post on solenoid with switch on and off. Got sparks and starter just clicks. I read somewhere to do that. Does that mean anything?

IRRITECH
08-20-2011, 09:05 PM
can you actually turn the flywheel by hand??

robro1102
08-20-2011, 09:10 PM
I can't move it at all

Mtnmn
08-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you have a seized engine.

rwaters
08-20-2011, 09:21 PM
if you can not move the flywheel, that is bad you might want to take it to a mechanic your problem is above what you can get help for on the internet.

robro1102
08-20-2011, 09:33 PM
That does not sound good. Just to be clear, I am trying to move the flywheel by grabbing the metal "gears" all around the flywheel. I can't budge it.

How do you post pictures and maybe I can show you what ui am taking about. Thanks for anyone trying help.

IRRITECH
08-20-2011, 09:35 PM
That does not sound good. Just to be clear, I am trying to move the flywheel by grabbing the metal "gears" all around the flywheel. I can't budge it.

How do you post pictures and maybe I can show you what ui am taking about. Thanks for anyone trying help.

If you can't move it in either direction then you're engine is locked up, meaning no oil, probably new engine.

robro1102
08-20-2011, 09:39 PM
If I remove the starter from the motor, SHOULD the flywheel move freely? Right now, the starter is engaged in those flywheel gears and won't go anywhere.

Restrorob
08-20-2011, 09:51 PM
The starter gear being engaged into the flywheel in most cases will not lock the engine up, But take it back off and try moving the flywheel again.

If you still can't budge it the way your trying, I'll bet the noise you first heard out in the yard was a magnet coming loose from inside the flywheel. It's now jammed into the stator and locked the engine up.

Next step would be flywheel removal for magnet/stator inspection.....

robro1102
08-20-2011, 10:02 PM
alright this might be my last question for tonight, been a LONG day. The magnet looks to be on the OUTSIDE perimeter of the flywheel. There are also magnetic contacts that is not lined up. Are there magnets on the inside that I can't see?

robro1102
08-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I am attaching a picture to show you guys what I am looking at. My two fingers are on what I am calling contacts on the left, and magnet on the right. The green wire is a new ground from neg battery terminal to bolt on chasis. The problem existed WAY before this new experiment.

Thanks again for your help.

robro1102
08-20-2011, 10:20 PM
I am adding this quick reply to make you aware of picture.

Mtnmn
08-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Not familiar with that engine, but the fan blades look like they have had the crap beat out of them.

Pull the spark plug disengage the starter. If you cant move flywheel by hand you have major problems. Stuck piston/scored cyl.

robro1102
08-21-2011, 08:34 AM
I will go to church first, but I will remove the starter today. I see what you are "seeing" but that is just a visual distortion. Those "blades" are plastic and are in brand new condition. They seem to concave toward the center for some reason.

Restrorob
08-21-2011, 08:59 AM
I'll bet the noise you first heard out in the yard was a magnet coming loose from inside the flywheel.

Under the flywheel.....

rwaters
08-21-2011, 11:21 AM
the only things I can think of that would cause your problem are a coil impacted to the flywheel(guessing you would see that or at least some scratches next to the coil. the charging system that Restro is talking about or a blown engine. I am thinking blown engine but my suggestion of taking it to a mechanic was in hopes that Restro is right, or you are missing something that is important.

Restrorob
08-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Never assume a engine is blown just because it's locked up, You should check/remove everything externally that could cause one to lock up as rwaters and myself mentioned. If it still doesn't spin by hand, It's then safe to assume something internally happened and it's time to open it up for inspection.....

robro1102
08-21-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure if I should have done this, but I started a new thread for the problem called Flywheel Stuck. I attached a picture of my situation. I hope that you guys will continue to try and help. Thanks