PDA

View Full Version : Echo srm 230 bogs down

themadcutter
08-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I have an srm 230 I traded for a back pack blower (I had to many blowers and not enough trimmers)

It starts very very easy but when its just started cold I have to fan the choke a few times to get it up to speed and then some times it will loose power and slack off on the rpms. I thought it was a bad fuel line but it isn't so....

It is not the fuel line.
The compression is at 150 lbs.
This model does not have a high/low adjustment so I can't adjust that.

Could it be the lever in the metering area of the carb? Maybe set to low and it doesn't get quite enough fuel?

coopmaster
08-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Make sure your exhaust is clear. A lot of people remove the spark arrestor screen.

GlynnC
08-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I have an srm 230 I traded for a back pack blower (I had to many blowers and not enough trimmers)

It starts very very easy but when its just started cold I have to fan the choke a few times to get it up to speed and then some times it will loose power and slack off on the rpms. I thought it was a bad fuel line but it isn't so....

It is not the fuel line.
The compression is at 150 lbs.
This model does not have a high/low adjustment so I can't adjust that.

Could it be the lever in the metering area of the carb? Maybe set to low and it doesn't get quite enough fuel?

I think it does have a high speed adjustment--do a searck on Echo carb adjustment. The screw is hidden behind a plug that has to be removed--do the search!!!!!!!!!!!!!

themadcutter
08-21-2011, 08:44 AM
I think it does have a high speed adjustment--do a searck on Echo carb adjustment. The screw is hidden behind a plug that has to be removed--do the search!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK

I found what you were talking about and removed the plug and tried adjusting it and this is what I get.

It will still start easy and I can start it on full throttle and it seems to run fine but if I let off the throttle so it idols and then squeeze the throttle again it bogs down and dies.

topsites
08-21-2011, 06:51 PM
No, to my understanding all Echos do this until they're warmed up enough to run but if that is wrong my srm260s has always done it,
between 20-45 seconds of running it with the throttle wide open until the rpm's settle into a smooth purr and it's gtg.

ed2hess
08-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Well I just posted on t hat.....you hunch may be right that needle lever needs to be adjusted up a little. Bent it until flush with a straight edge sitting on the casting. I seldon see the ports on 230 closed over by you might just be sure the screen is out and ports clean.

I just came out of the shed where I had one that was tooo high and it would flood the chamber sometimes and I beat my head against the wall for almost a year changing parts......this one needed that lever to be lowered. I got a shed full of stuff I think I can now get running.

themadcutter
08-21-2011, 07:31 PM
No, to my understanding all Echos do this until they're warmed up enough to run but if that is wrong my srm260s has always done it,
between 20-45 seconds of running it with the throttle wide open until the rpm's settle into a smooth purr and it's gtg.

That kinda stinks. But I solved my problem and here is how I did it.

I fixed the carb until I completely broke it and the trimmer would not even start.

then, on a hunch, I looked in my pile of old equipment and found an old gray srm 210 that some one gave me years ago and I never even looked at it. It looked horrible but I took the carb off and put on a new primer bulb and slapped it on the 230 and it worked just fine.

Guess I was lucky. I have said for a long time that the older gray echos were much better than the newer stuff. That carb had been sitting for who knows how long and it worked just fine. The carb that wasn't working wasn't even 2 years old and I bet it never ran right just like you say yours doesn't.

themadcutter
08-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Well I just posted on t hat.....you hunch may be right that needle lever needs to be adjusted up a little. Bent it until flush with a straight edge sitting on the casting. I seldon see the ports on 230 closed over by you might just be sure the screen is out and ports clean.

I just came out of the shed where I had one that was tooo high and it would flood the chamber sometimes and I beat my head against the wall for almost a year changing parts......this one needed that lever to be lowered. I got a shed full of stuff I think I can now get running.

Since I read your post I remembered that I fixed a cs 360 t just the way you described. It would not idol for more than a few seconds unless the idol was set so fast that you could almost cut with it. I raised the lever just a tiny bit (and I mean tiny) and then it would idol. I had forgotten all about that.

At any rate. I tried adjusting it 4 times on this srm and it didn't help. I do believe it will solve some problems.

topsites
08-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Guess I was lucky. I have said for a long time that the older gray echos were much better than the newer stuff. That carb had been sitting for who knows how long and it worked just fine. The carb that wasn't working wasn't even 2 years old and I bet it never ran right just like you say yours doesn't.

I won't argue that I'm not but so fond of all the engineering advances they put into our equipment either, glad to hear you got it running.

cariboulou
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
can anyone post pics of where I can find that high adj screw?!! I think i see the plug and tried to pull it out but plastic just disintergrated? should i try and drill it out?? Looks like a brass ring around it.

themadcutter
08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
can anyone post pics of where I can find that high adj screw?!! I think i see the plug and tried to pull it out but plastic just disintergrated? should i try and drill it out?? Looks like a brass ring around it.
Here is a link to a page with a pdf of the carb from a srm 265t. part 14 and 15 are the brass ring and the high needle.

What I did was use a drill bit that just scraped the inside of the brass ring edges and just removed the plug. Then I decided I wanted the wring gone so I used a larger drill bit and started drilling out the brass ring and it twisted out.

With out the brass ring you can remove the high needle to clean the port (or jet) better. I wouldn't do that unless adjusting the high needle didn't give the results you need. It didn't help me at all.

http://www.shankslawn.com:80/pages/OemParts#/Echo_%2f%2f_Shindaiwa/SRM-265T__S%2f%2fN%3a_S79812001001_-_S79812999999/Carburetor_--_RB-K84/12497/6872

ed2hess
08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Here is a link to a page with a pdf of the carb from a srm 265t. part 14 and 15 are the brass ring and the high needle.

What I did was use a drill bit that just scraped the inside of the brass ring edges and just removed the plug. Then I decided I wanted the wring gone so I used a larger drill bit and started drilling out the brass ring and it twisted out.

With out the brass ring you can remove the high needle to clean the port (or jet) better. I wouldn't do that unless adjusting the high needle didn't give the results you need. It didn't help me at all.

http://www.shankslawn.com:80/pages/OemParts#/Echo_%2f%2f_Shindaiwa/SRM-265T__S%2f%2fN%3a_S79812001001_-_S79812999999/Carburetor_--_RB-K84/12497/6872

Sadly the brass rings backs out of the casting if you screw the needle CCW....I learned that with a test carb before I tore into mine. Then you simply press it back in when you are finished.

themadcutter
08-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Sadly the brass rings backs out of the casting if you screw the needle CCW....I learned that with a test carb before I tore into mine. Then you simply press it back in when you are finished.

I was thinking that might work but I was worried about stripping the needle.

I had no intention of putting the ring back in any way. As long as you are careful the drill option works really well but I guess your way is simpler.

ed2hess
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
I was thinking that might work but I was worried about stripping the needle.

I had no intention of putting the ring back in any way. As long as you are careful the drill option works really well but I guess your way is simpler.

I was told by a tech that backing it out with the needle is the normal way to get it out.

themadcutter
08-23-2011, 05:21 PM
I was told by a tech that backing it out with the needle is the normal way to get it out.

I guess the brass ring slips out easier than I thought it would. I had visions of those tiny brass threads stripping to no end.

thats good to know If I ever bother with an echo again. At least not a red one.

ed2hess
08-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I guess the brass ring slips out easier than I thought it would. I had visions of those tiny brass threads stripping to no end.

thats good to know If I ever bother with an echo again. At least not a red one.

Just move up to the 265T those are big winners.

themadcutter
08-24-2011, 08:17 PM

I just wanted it as a back up trimmer. I think I will stick to my 35cc stihl fs 130.

The srm 230 turned out to be way to light weight for me. The 265t is only like 3cc larger than the 230, it does have a lot more torque (thats what they say any way) but my fs 130 cuts really well.

My favorite is an old 36cc kawisaki. Its pretty old as trimmer go but it will cut some grass. even better than the fs 130 but its old and heavy and I just think its gonna break from age.

ed2hess
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I just wanted it as a back up trimmer. I think I will stick to my 35cc stihl fs 130.

The srm 230 turned out to be way to light weight for me. The 265t is only like 3cc larger than the 230, it does have a lot more torque (thats what they say any way) but my fs 130 cuts really well.

My favorite is an old 36cc kawisaki. Its pretty old as trimmer go but it will cut some grass. even better than the fs 130 but its old and heavy and I just think its gonna break from age.

What are you cutting bamboo...? There is a lot of differnce between a 265T and a 230. The 265T has a big gearhead down at the bottom to give it a lot of power on the head. We do a lot of clearing with this. We have nine total in service.

themadcutter
08-25-2011, 09:52 PM
What are you cutting bamboo...? There is a lot of differnce between a 265T and a 230. The 265T has a big gearhead down at the bottom to give it a lot of power on the head. We do a lot of clearing with this. We have nine total in service.

I have a few accounts with very small back yards. Maybe 200 to 400 square feet and I just use my string trimmer. With my kawasaki or fs 130 I can walk around like its a hand held 16" mower. I can actually get more grass cut with a big trimmer than I can with the average 22" mower. I'm not saying its would be as fast as a really good 22" with a fast drive system but definitely better than the average 22".

We also have a lot of swales here in florida and the grass grows very quick and thick in them. The power helps there also if you are in a hurry.

And yes, believe it or not, some young bamboo also.

AuburnHort2005
08-25-2011, 10:22 PM

I got a 265T and it's doing the same thing he said his 230 was doing. I got an old SRM2601 and that sucker has the throttle response and power unlike any of this newer crap with the emissions stuff on them. It sounds bad a$$ too just sitting there idling.

I know an older fella with one that is bigger than my 2601, a 3000 series I believe. Again, older model, sounds bad a$$ and they just don't make them like that anymore. It's pretty sad.

themadcutter
08-25-2011, 11:21 PM
I got a 265T and it's doing the same thing he said his 230 was doing. I got an old SRM2601 and that sucker has the throttle response and power unlike any of this newer crap with the emissions stuff on them. It sounds bad a$$ too just sitting there idling.

I know an older fella with one that is bigger than my 2601, a 3000 series I believe. Again, older model, sounds bad a$$ and they just don't make them like that anymore. It's pretty sad.

When you get into the old gray 300's and up, then your talking. I had a 360 and it was great. I only owned it long enough to fix it, try it out and then sell it for $240. Except for the weight, which really wasn't much of an issue for me, it was an excellent machine.

I just bought an srm 3000 that needs some work but still has 150 lbs of compression. I guess the 3000 was the new 300 at one time. I bet it will eat any new 265t before you could even get the 265t up to speed. I got it for $25 but unless I find some one who knows the value of the grey 3000 series then it won't be worth anything so I'll probably keep it.

AuburnHort2005
08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
That's another reason we like the old 2601. It is very light.

Tofutti
08-31-2011, 06:24 PM
We run daily an old 2100, 2400, and a 3100.. All pulled from a scrap metal box at the local dump. Changed the plug in ONE of them, and after two commercial seasons, finally got around to changing the air filters lol. Talk about Return on Investment... I certainly agree with the statements/sentiment about the old grey Echos being much better than the new ones.

themadcutter
08-31-2011, 06:34 PM
We run daily an old 2100, 2400, and a 3100.. All pulled from a scrap metal box at the local dump. Changed the plug in ONE of them, and after two commercial seasons, finally got around to changing the air filters lol. Talk about Return on Investment... I certainly agree with the statements/sentiment about the old grey Echos being much better than the new ones.

"scrap metal box at the local dump" You have to wonder how wealthy some people are if they just throw away trimmers without even checking them out a little.

I just bought 2 3011 for $25. One had a bad cylinder but the other had over 150 lbs of compression and started right up. Just needs an air filter and air filter cover. It looks horrible (the worst thing on the greys was the paint) but it sure runs great.

Tofutti
09-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Lol yeah. If you googled Stowe, VT. You'd find it is a ski-resort town. While working at the only local transfer station there since I was was 15 years-old ( About 16 years ago) I've acquired thousands of dollars worth of home-theater, other A/V and computer equipment. It's really unreal. Two weeks ago I went to the back of an old junk truck I've had and was using for a tool shed and pulled a Stihl FS44 that had been sitting there since I had grabbed it from the metal box LITERALLY 12 years ago (with old gas, plug, etc.) and started it up. That machine now runs every day in the field with nothing other than just adding new gas... Looks goofy as hell, but for the price.., well..
It's just amazing what people toss out because they sold the house and the new owners want all remaining things gone, etc...

Edit: I know how wealthy some people are in the area. One of our accounts is on the market for 17kk. Most of ours in the Stowe area are worth about 2kk.

themadcutter
09-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Lol yeah. If you googled Stowe, VT. You'd find it is a ski-resort town. While working at the only local transfer station there since I was was 15 years-old ( About 16 years ago) I've acquired thousands of dollars worth of home-theater, other A/V and computer equipment. It's really unreal. Two weeks ago I went to the back of an old junk truck I've had and was using for a tool shed and pulled a Stihl FS44 that had been sitting there since I had grabbed it from the metal box LITERALLY 12 years ago (with old gas, plug, etc.) and started it up. That machine now runs every day in the field with nothing other than just adding new gas... Looks goofy as hell, but for the price.., well..
It's just amazing what people toss out because they sold the house and the new owners want all remaining things gone, etc...

Edit: I know how wealthy some people are in the area. One of our accounts is on the market for 17kk. Most of ours in the Stowe area are worth about 2kk.

Thats cool. When I was in high school, the father of one of my friends worked in a very exclusive gated community and would always bring things home that were being thrown away. One day will came to school bragging that he was now the owner of a $500 surf board (that was a LOT of money back then) that had a few small dings in it. That was probably a little unusual but I always thought it was nice that wealthy people would throw away nice things for people to grab.

My wealthiest client lived in a 8000 square foot home (when he wasn't in his 5000sqf malabu vacation home) and actually picks things out of other peoples trash. Not kidding either. He would sell the stuff at his garage sale.