PDA

View Full Version : Number 1 Reason Not to Own a Tundra

First_Year_Landscaper
08-21-2011, 12:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4

This will pretty much sum it up.

I know a half-ton isnt ment for hard work, but jeez the Tundra is about to rattle apart

The Tundra is a fairly decent truck as long as you don't use it as a truck, if your just looking to have a daily driver that will never tow a trailer or have anything in the bed then the Tundra would be just fine.

In my opinon as long as it will be worked in America it should be backed by an American brand that has proved itself.

My family has owned Dodge, Ford, and Chevy trucks all have been great for what they were used for, (current Ford doesn't go anywhere without a trailer :)

agrostis
08-21-2011, 01:19 PM
When you have to worry about the frame breaking (a problem with tundras) that whole truck is suspect. When they first came out i was excited by the thought of Japanese engineering in the truck but i was wrong. I would not even think about buying one now.

bobcat_ron
08-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow, that Tundra box sure looked like a jiggly badonkadonk ghetto booty.
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
08-21-2011, 09:00 PM
That was bad but theyre full of it. The chevy did the best and not because I own one.

First_Year_Landscaper
08-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Brother still has his and everytime he hooks up to a trailer or loads the bed you can see the gap between the cab and box get wider or compress. His is also an 09.

Trailer has Case 1845C on it

Bed might have 1 yard of mulch

Scary to think what would happen if it was used like our f250 or Chevy 1500

mybowtie
08-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Its a Ford commercial, so of course the ford did the best...But how do we REALLY know the ford was going as fast as the others? Becaus they said so?? LOL. And how do we know they didnt loosen/unhook something on the others to make them do worse. Or modify the ford in some way to make it perform better?

I do agree the toylet looked like it was ready to fall appart thou...

poolboy
08-22-2011, 09:40 AM
From someone that owned a F-150 and a Tundra, that commercial is complete BS. Think about it, it's a freaking Ford commercial.

Anyway, the Tundra has held it's own; from hauling 2K lbs, to pulling a 32ft travel trailer.

Lawn Pawn
08-22-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm old enough to remember when it was not too uncommon to see a Ford pick-up along side the road or at a dealer that had folded in half.

Think it might have been in the 70's ?? They had some bad design and the frames were way under engineered for strength. I do not hate any brand... they all have good and bad points.

First_Year_Landscaper
08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Brother still has his and everytime he hooks up to a trailer or loads the bed you can see the gap between the cab and box get wider or compress. His is also an 09.

Dont know if he got a lemon or if the farm has taken its toll.

First_Year_Landscaper
08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=First_Year_Landscaper;4138216]Brother still has his and everytime he hooks up to a trailer or loads the bed you can see the gap between the cab and box get wider or compress. His is also an 09.

Dont know if he got a lemon or if the farm has taken its toll.

mowerbrad
08-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Like most videos from manufacturers, they are almost always biased.

You have Ford who does their own testing in the videos...biased.

Chevy pays an independant company do their tests...still pretty biased.

Not sure about dodge since they just recently became more comparative to Chevy and Ford trucks...at least their HD line-up.

I would like to see a completely independant company test trucks, side by side like in the videos. I don't want one manufacturer sponsering the tests either.

I will say that the Tundra did look really bad, the Ford and Chevy looked about the same to me.

punt66
08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I have an uncle who rants and raves about his Tundra. This is when i had my ram 1500 not the 2500. So i asked him to hook up to my 18' enclosed and haul it to the race track for me so my sponsored guys can use it in the pits. Its a pit trailer. He said "no way". So i said why not. He said "its too heavy". I laughed and hooked it up to my 1500 quad cab hemi and drove off.

I have driven in that tundra a number of times and its no where near the caliber it needs to be to do any real work. I suppose if you want to support the Japanese business men and only need a driver as a home owner for dump runs it will do. Although i am not a GM fan i would buy 10 GM trucks before i owned a Toyota. Even then i still dont think i could drive around in a TOYOTA.

AI Inc
08-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Even then i still dont think i could drive around in a TOYOTA.

even with a hat, dark sunglasses and a fake mustache?

No boyotas for me.

poolboy
08-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Buy American, Hell Yeah!!!! (http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/08/22/add-impala-owners-%E2%80%9Chosed-gm-bankruptcy%E2%80%9D-list):usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

punt66
08-22-2011, 03:58 PM
even with a hat, dark sunglasses and a fake mustache?

No boyotas for me.

yea a mask or plastic surgery, or 3rd degree burns. Doesnt matter. I would even be pizzed if my hurst taking me to my grave was a Toyota. I think i need to add that to my will! :drinkup:

punt66
08-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Buy American, Hell Yeah!!!! (http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/08/22/add-impala-owners-%E2%80%9Chosed-gm-bankruptcy%E2%80%9D-list):usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

No problems with Toyota hahahahahahahah

poolboy
08-22-2011, 04:06 PM
No problems with Toyota hahahahahahahah

Never had a problem with mine or my F-150. You just come off as ignorant regarding this whole US vs anyone else truck debate. This has something to do with WWII, doesn't it?

First_Year_Landscaper
08-22-2011, 05:12 PM
No this is not about WWII, i hate towing a trailer with my brothers tundra, i would much rather tow it with our ford or even our chevy

I do agree I would like to see an indpendent test done by a private person, but I have seen the tundra frame flex in real life with just an 1845C on the trailer.

Then again the tundra my brother has, has seen use and abuse on my his 1500 acre farm, it has pulled 644 bu. gravety boxs (empty of course) and has been off-roaded a lot.

poolboy
08-22-2011, 05:22 PM
No this is not about WWII, i hate towing a trailer with my brothers tundra, i would much rather tow it with our ford or even our chevy

I do agree I would like to see an indpendent test done by a private person, but I have seen the tundra frame flex in real life with just an 1845C on the trailer.

Then again the tundra my brother has, has seen use and abuse on my his 1500 acre farm, it has pulled 644 bu. gravety boxs (empty of course) and has been off-roaded a lot.

This isn't the 1st time Punt and I have gotten into it over this.

Tractor trailer frames are meant to flex, so what does that mean? Maybe you brother's has been abused. Probably needed a 3/4 or 1 ton.

First_Year_Landscaper
08-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Hes looking to trade his tundra for either a early 07 with the 5.9 cummins or a LLY Duramax. I think he should go for the cummins because it is a 6 speed and my uncle had one an put over 450,000 miles on it, even with the auto behind it.

A couple guys I know have the LLY and LB7 they pull good but i dont think they can handle the abuse that an inline 6 can.

Got to remember farm trucks are used and abused, but for the most part always regilious maintained.

Oakleaf landscape
08-22-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah65OKoXZt4&NR=1

A real test...

poolboy
08-22-2011, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah65OKoXZt4&NR=1

A real test...

Another biased commercial is all I see.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I have owned two Tundra's and both had lots of problems. You were lucky to get 2000 miles without the rotors warping, (were to small for this truck) clunk in transmission, transmission failure, front end problems. grrrr I will quit now. My chevy has gone 30k miles without one single problem and I have always been partial to Jap vehicles until I owned one of these!

As the op said, they are fine for short trips to the hardware store or a very small tow. Other than that they are a p***y. I will say though it was the best riding vehicle I ever owned. My brother got rid of his Tundra few months back, never towed one thing and it eat brakes and rotors like mine did. And the gas mileage was horrible, 12 around town if you were easy on the pedal.

poolboy
08-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I have owned two Tundra's and both had lots of problems. You were lucky to get 2000 miles without the rotors warping, (were to small for this truck) clunk in transmission, transmission failure, front end problems. grrrr I will quit now. My chevy has gone 30k miles without one single problem and I have always been partial to Jap vehicles until I owned one of these!

As the op said, they are fine for short trips to the hardware store or a very small tow. Other than that they are a p***y. I will say though it was the best riding vehicle I ever owned. My brother got rid of his Tundra few months back, never towed one thing and it eat brakes and rotors like mine did. And the gas mileage was horrible, 12 around town if you were easy on the pedal.

66K on mine and have only replaced the break pads once, on both the front and back. And there has been 1000-2000 lbs in the bed and back cab of tools, equipment, etc. consistently. Including pulling a 7200 lb 32' travel trailer too.

If I did more towing, I'd definitely upgrade to a 3/4 dodge.

What year was yours? Mines an 09. There is the Generation 1 Tundra that's somewhere between 1/4 an 1/2 ton.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/2007_toyota_tundra_rear_axle/index.html

QualityLawnCare4u
08-22-2011, 09:06 PM
66K on mine and have only replaced the break pads once, on both the front and back. And there has been 1000-2000 lbs in the bed and back cab of tools, equipment, etc. consistently. Including pulling a 7200 lb 32' travel trailer too.

If I did more towing, I'd definitely upgrade to a 3/4 dodge.

What year was yours? Mines an 09. There is the Generation 1 Tundra that's somewhere between 1/4 an 1/2 ton.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/2007_toyota_tundra_rear_axle/index.html

First one was a 2000 and second a 05.

poolboy
08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
First one was a 2000 and second a 05.

Huge difference between the Tundras that we are talking about, not even close. 1st Gen tundra was way different than the ones they started to build in 07.

Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
08-22-2011, 09:31 PM
That Chevy had different bags than the Ford in the video. Even though they looked like they're filled with sand but IDK both a Ford and Chevy commercial so you never really know whats going on. They didn't trash the Chevy in the Ford Commercial though like Chevy did to Ford. You never know how they stacked those sand bags in there could be weight to axle ratio too.

mowerbrad
08-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I am a chevy guy and I give chevy credit for using an independant testing company to do their competitive comparisons. However, chevy is still paying the company to do their tests, so I do believe it may be slightly biased.

No matter what manufacturer does the tests, they are always going to make their product look the best, it'd be stupid not to. I would really like to know what is true and what is not in these tests, especially if they are fair or not.

gammon landscaping
08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
top gear just tested them, the ford seem to be the best except off road

360ci
08-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Toyota is only an import by name. The Tundra is made in Texas, by Americans (perhaps a few illegals). Still, it's a vehicle made in house.

Alas, the Tundra in almost every similar configuration to a competing truck, has the lowest payload capacity, which is why they don't make good landscape trucks unless you're in the air-cutting business. They can tow, yes, but for all around half ton work truck, I'd go for the GM for the highest payload (F150 payload package aside), smoothest ride, above average mileage for a V8 and decent resale and dealer incentives.

Now, not to go off topic, but a similar comparison to this thread would be that of the AK47. It's durable, and more powerful than say the M16. To this day if the weapons were reversed in say, the Vietnam conflict, I'm certain that American casualties would have been far less. 5.56mm American bullet over a 7.62import. In a country where up until recently, cost is no issue over the protection of troops, they sure did cheapen out with using the M16. I hear the M14 is still in use in some bases at least, and that at least uses 7.62mm rounds. Still, I'm not saying the M16 sucks, not at all, but merely sits at the bottom end of the 'must have' on my weapons collection list. You can bury an AK47 in sand and still lift it out and fire away. Some foreign goods are superior, but all told, one must look at the hard facts in order to properly make a fair decision. Even when it comes to trucks. Besides, most domestic vehicle manufacturers use more imported parts than the import manufacturers do! Ouch.

AI Inc
08-23-2011, 05:47 AM
Toyota is only an import by name. The Tundra is made in Texas, by Americans (perhaps a few illegals). Still, it's a vehicle made in house.

Alas, the Tundra in almost every similar configuration to a competing truck, has the lowest payload capacity, which is why they don't make good landscape trucks unless you're in the air-cutting business. They can tow, yes, but for all around half ton work truck, I'd go for the GM for the highest payload (F150 payload package aside), smoothest ride, above average mileage for a V8 and decent resale and dealer incentives.

Now, not to go off topic, but a similar comparison to this thread would be that of the AK47. It's durable, and more powerful than say the M16. To this day if the weapons were reversed in say, the Vietnam conflict, I'm certain that American casualties would have been far less. 5.56mm American bullet over a 7.62import. In a country where up until recently, cost is no issue over the protection of troops, they sure did cheapen out with using the M16. I hear the M14 is still in use in some bases at least, and that at least uses 7.62mm rounds. Still, I'm not saying the M16 sucks, not at all, but merely sits at the bottom end of the 'must have' on my weapons collection list. You can bury an AK47 in sand and still lift it out and fire away. Some foreign goods are superior, but all told, one must look at the hard facts in order to properly make a fair decision. Even when it comes to trucks. Besides, most domestic vehicle manufacturers use more imported parts than the import manufacturers do! Ouch.

Dont forget the simple fact that an AK-47 is very inaccurate. An m-16 was not designed to kill, it was designed to wound. The reasoning was if you kill a guy you take 1 man out of the fight. If you wound him it takes 2 men to carry him to safety, taking 3 men out of the fight.Not my words, the pentagons.

jvanvliet
08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
1997 F350 7.6ltr international diesel 287,500 miles; still running srong
1999 Ram 3500 5.9 ltr cummings inline six diesel 169,000 miles; still running strong.

I'll put my American made trucks up against any jap or korean rice burning piece of $hit anyday.:usflag:

poolboy
08-23-2011, 06:04 PM
1997 F350 7.6ltr international diesel 287,500 miles; still running srong
1999 Ram 3500 5.9 ltr cummings inline six diesel 169,000 miles; still running strong.

I'll put my American made trucks up against any jap or korean rice burning piece of $hit anyday.:usflag:

Settle down, Cletus, we're talking about 1/2 ton trucks here.

First_Year_Landscaper
08-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Theres a dodge 1500 on craigslist that has 317,000 miles on it. Several with over 200k

1999 F150 with 353k on it on ebay and 9 with over 250k

1992 Chevy 1500 with 333k and 5 with over 250k also on ebay

Now find me a toyota that has that many miles on it with. Only 1 tundra with over 200,000 on it on ebay

360ci
08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Theres a dodge 1500 on craigslist that has 317,000 miles on it. Several with over 200k

1999 F150 with 353k on it on ebay and 9 with over 250k

1992 Chevy 1500 with 333k and 5 with over 250k also on ebay

Now find me a toyota that has that many miles on it with. Only 1 tundra with over 200,000 on it on ebay

Exactly It's not about abuse it can take, it's about due maintenance. Putting $1K or so to replace some parts earlier on before they fail completely, or oil spraying once or twice a year keeps the frame strength 'like new' as the miles, and years pile on.

Ebay isn't a good source for high mileage trucks; junk yards are. Also keep in mind that in North America, for every 10 F150's AND GM half tons sold, Toyota sold one Tundra. Go on that Toyotanation website, and you'll find some high mileage trucks.

Dont forget the simple fact that an AK-47 is very inaccurate. An m-16 was not designed to kill, it was designed to wound. The reasoning was if you kill a guy you take 1 man out of the fight. If you wound him it takes 2 men to carry him to safety, taking 3 men out of the fight.Not my words, the pentagons.

To me, that's just a marketing ploy from the Pentagon so they can make troops feel better while they save millions $. Besides, I have yet to read a book (a REAL book) where (example here) Vietcong troops would tend to their wounded during battle. Or as another example, the Japanese, who would even wounded, run guns blazing or sword in hand toward their opposition. Let alone the modern Al Qaeda group who believe their own life is worth every effort to create terror, and is worthless otherwise. Very few medics.

unkownfl
08-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Exactly It's not about abuse it can take, it's about due maintenance. Putting $1K or so to replace some parts earlier on before they fail completely, or oil spraying once or twice a year keeps the frame strength 'like new' as the miles, and years pile on.

Ebay isn't a good source for high mileage trucks; junk yards are. Also keep in mind that in North America, for every 10 F150's AND GM half tons sold, Toyota sold one Tundra. Go on that Toyotanation website, and you'll find some high mileage trucks.

To me, that's just a marketing ploy from the Pentagon so they can make troops feel better while they save millions $. Besides, I have yet to read a book (a REAL book) where (example here) Vietcong troops would tend to their wounded during battle. Or as another example, the Japanese, who would even wounded, run guns blazing or sword in hand toward their opposition. Let alone the modern Al Qaeda group who believe their own life is worth every effort to create terror, and is worthless otherwise. Very few medics.

Ummm m16??? not many infantry soldiers carry those if any in Iraq or Afghanistan... Secondly, they made newer versions and different ammo and issued cleaning kits for those guns. The newer versions have this thing called a forward assist... Have you ever had to use a M16/M4??? or any 5.56 weapon vs a AK47???

360ci
08-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Ummm m16??? not many infantry soldiers carry those if any in Iraq or Afghanistan... Secondly, they made newer versions and different ammo and issued cleaning kits for those guns. The newer versions have this thing called a forward assist... Have you ever had to use a M16/M4??? or any 5.56 weapon vs a AK47???

I'm not up to date on US arms. I'd hope all soldiers are issued something to clean their weapons with, even if it's a piece of cut angle iron or a thin curtain rod with a cloth on the end. I've used an older M14 and the M16 on a quick firing exercise years ago, but I don't recall much as I've handled quite a bit of weapons over the years. I wanted a posting in Iraq, however all attempts were turned down as the detachment I'm with had no need to go over (I was with electronics branch). In Canada I've used the 5.56 C7 rifle, similar to the M16 (Canada always has to have its subtle differences) and is just as cheap with going with small caliber arms, but as I deal primarily with the Air Force now, my weapon use is very limited. I only get to the range a few times a year to use my Browning Hi Power, as I'm not stationed on base now that I'm part time and back to teaching. Landscape work keeps me in shape and with some clients, on my toes.

One just has to carefully watch the marketing with anything. Pentagon or even fuel companies who advertise "Up to 10% ethanol", which isn't true. My fuel deliveries never exceeded 6% and even that was an extreme case. Companies advertise up to 10% just to make consumers feel better about their purchase although it's quite exaggerated.

pitrack
08-23-2011, 10:02 PM
That was bad but theyre full of it. The chevy did the best and not because I own one.

The Dodge did best and not because I own one :)

Capemay Eagle
08-24-2011, 10:31 AM
For one thing this test was over 2 years ago, It is basically old news. All of these trucks in the video have improved and some have gotten even better! I for one will only buy Ford and Dodge trucks, I used to be a big GM fan, but reliability and the whole bailout just turned me off! Ford trucks to me just seem to be the best built trucks along with the most comfort and best technology, Ford just always seems to be a step ahead of the rest.

yamahatim
08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
GM is a car company.
Ford is a truck company.
Dodge is the new Jeep.
Toyota has the word Toy in it.

Michael J. Donovan
08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
ok, let's agree to disagree on this...everyone has their preferred brand, but no need to continue to slam one or the other or other members because of there preference

I suggest we move on...thanks