PDA

View Full Version : Echo PB251 Blower won't start

jcbabb
08-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm tired of cussing this thing. I started by checking the air filter, replacing the spark plug, then replacing the gas. Finally, I cleaned the spark arrestor. I'm getting a good yellow spark, but I can't even get it to try to turn over. I even tried some starter fluid, and it won't even pop.
The only thing I can think of is maybe a clogged jet, but I thought it would at least try to start with the starter fluid. Any thoughts?

GlynnC
08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm tired of cussing this thing. I started by checking the air filter, replacing the spark plug, then replacing the gas. Finally, I cleaned the spark arrestor. I'm getting a good yellow spark, but I can't even get it to try to turn over. I even tried some starter fluid, and it won't even pop.
The only thing I can think of is maybe a clogged jet, but I thought it would at least try to start with the starter fluid. Any thoughts?

You may have it flooded. Remove the plug, pull the starter rope 10 or 12 times, spray a very small amount of starter fluid in the plug hole, replace plug and try starting. If it has compression and spark it should at least fire--unless the flywheel key is sheared.

jcbabb
08-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I'll give that a shot tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that I also checked compression and I'm getting 120, so that's good.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
08-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Once you have the plug out, check the gap and make sure it's .020

Beyond that you need a spark tester.

Mtnmn
08-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Yellow is not a good spark, should be blue.

jcbabb
08-22-2011, 06:30 PM
I've got a spark tester; that's what I was using. What does a weak spark mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
08-22-2011, 10:42 PM
You won't always get a FULL spark when testing due to possible issues
such as not being able to get a really good pull on the recoil and what have you...

But with ANY spark and a short burst of starter fluid it really ought to ...

jcbabb
08-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Severe flooding was not the problem. It still won't even sputter. I'm thinking its got to be a bad coil or maybe the flywheel key mis-aligned? I'll tear into it soon and find out. I can see a spark, I know the gas is good, so it must be a timing issue. Other than that I'm lost.

newz7151
08-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Severe flooding was not the problem. It still won't even sputter. I'm thinking its got to be a bad coil or maybe the flywheel key mis-aligned? I'll tear into it soon and find out. I can see a spark, I know the gas is good, so it must be a timing issue. Other than that I'm lost.

how old again is it?

Mtnmn
08-23-2011, 01:21 AM
try this. Get a small squeeze bottle fill with gas/oil mix put capon bottle. Take air filter off,open choke, open throttle all the way, take and squirt some gas into carb. Pull starter and see if engine will start and run for a second or two. If it does you have fuel/carb problem. Not spark or timing. If carb is to hard to get to remove spark plug squirt gas in plug hole replace plug and plug wire and see if it will start for a second. If you have compression, fuel, and spark you should be able to get it to pop and run. If you have these 3 you shouldn't have a major problem.

BE CAREFUL FILLING SQUEEZE BOTTLE AND WHEN YOU PUT IT DOWN AND DON'T CAUSE A FIRE!!!!!

jtsnipe
08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
try this. Get a small squeeze bottle fill with gas/oil mix put capon bottle. Take air filter off,open choke, open throttle all the way, take and squirt some gas into carb. Pull starter and see if engine will start and run for a second or two. If it does you have fuel/carb problem. Not spark or timing. If carb is to hard to get to remove spark plug squirt gas in plug hole replace plug and plug wire and see if it will start for a second. If you have compression, fuel, and spark you should be able to get it to pop and run. If you have these 3 you shouldn't have a major problem.

BE CAREFUL FILLING SQUEEZE BOTTLE AND WHEN YOU PUT IT DOWN AND DON'T CAUSE A FIRE!!!!!Excellent advice.Never use starting fluid on a two stroke.

jcbabb
08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I tried a few drops of mix after emptying it to make sure it wasn't flooded again. Still no dice. I'm gonna grab a coil off of another one and see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device