View Full Version : Trailer question

lawnkid14
08-21-2011, 09:45 PM
looking at buying a new trailer im looking at a
single axle 14 foot open no brakes
tandem axle 14 foot open no brakes
tandem axle 16 foot open no brakes
tandem axle 16 foot open brakes

need to haul at least one zero turn possibly a second and a 36" walk behind could i get away without brakes or is it better to fork up the money thanks

knox gsl
08-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Get brakes on both axles and a good proportial brake controller. Its money well spent.

JB1
08-21-2011, 09:54 PM
get the brakes.

ALC-GregH
08-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Definitely get one with brakes. I doubt the trailer will have both axles equipped with brakes. You really would need both axles to brake the trailer. If you had a large trailer with a 10 ton rating and you're hauling a back hoe then I could see the need but not for a small 14ft or 16ft dual axle.

Gianninilandscaping
08-21-2011, 09:57 PM
what kind of truck are you hauling it behind... i would get a trailer with breaks, and tandem axels. the reason being is with a tandem setup you can put more weight on it when your company grows (as long as its plated for the weight) it wont wear down the breaks on the truck as fast and it wont bounce around behind your truck as much as a single axel would. if money isnt that big of a deal i would also spend the money on an enclosed trailer, you can lock all your stuff up and keep it out of the weather rather than having to put it in the garage or shop every night plus its a bigger space to advertise your company just by driving down the road... thats just my opinion...

SouthSide Cutter
08-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Some states you have to have brakes on both axles. They can sell them but you cant pull it legally. Better check your state for laws before you buy.

HartselleLawnEnforcement
08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Brakes, definitely. I use a 16 footer that was given to me that has no brakes..I hate stopping.. I feel like I'm going to blast through a red light.. fork up the money. You won't regret it.

mowerbrad
08-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I owned a 14' trailer with no brakes a couple years ago and currently own an 18' trailer with brakes. There is a huge difference in stopping ability! Both trailers were towed by 3/4 ton trucks.

With my current 18' trailer, I can stop almost like I can without a trailer on. Between my tow/haul mode on the truck and the brakes on the trailer, stopping is not an issue. With my old truck/trailer combo, when I had no trailer brakes, it definately took much longer to stop.

Get the 16' with brakes, you'll thank yourself for the added safety and less wear on your truck.

Lawn Pawn
08-21-2011, 10:54 PM
And yet again...... two axels and brakes!

I actually got rid of my 16 foot aluminum tandem... and got a steel 14 foot tandem. For what I do the 14 works out better.

alexschultz1
08-21-2011, 10:56 PM
tandem 16 with brakes. will save your truck from destroying itself.

Ridin' Green
08-21-2011, 11:29 PM
I can tell you for a fact (I just went round and round with a couple trailer places about this) that here in Michigan, you are required to have brakes on any trailer with a GVWR of 3000 and over (one reason so many trailers with 3500 lb axles say 2990 on the data tag). It doesn't matter which way the weight is carried, all on one axle, two axles or even more. If the data tag says 3000 lbs or more, then all of the axles have to have brakes. I know many trailer dealers here sell trailers with only one of the axles having brakes on a tandem trailer, but they get away with it because that is how the manufacturer builds and ships them. It still doesn't make the trailer legal here, but they can get away with selling them without any, or only one axle having brakes because of this, and pass the responsibility on to the customer.

I got this info above straight from the MDOT, and the SOS both.

Having brakes makes a world of difference, and should you ever get into an accident, especially with that much weight, and not have the correct brakes on your trailer, you will be paying dearly for a long time!

johnny_boy02
08-22-2011, 12:22 AM
It depends on your truck and the area you live in.

I would get the brakes using my current 1/2 ton truck, but if I still had the 3/4 ton Dodge trailer brakes with the fairly light load you are towing would not really be a concern.

lawnkid14
08-22-2011, 10:51 AM
thanks for the input i have a 1/2 ton truck

Ridin' Green
08-22-2011, 11:53 AM
One of the trailer places I talked to was over there by you in Saline. The guy admitted that he knew about the law, but got around it because of the way they received them from the manufacturer. Call MDOT and verify what I posted before for yourself. Don't just take my word for it.

MOW ED
08-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Get the brakes. I have a tandem 14 without brakes and I replace pads and rotors in my Silverado every 2 years. I pull a 62"Z and a walk behind. I love my trailer but I really should have got brakes. Someday I will probably find tome to retrofit the thing.

Lawn Pawn
08-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Get the brakes. I have a tandem 14 without brakes and I replace pads and rotors in my Silverado every 2 years. I pull a 62"Z and a walk behind. I love my trailer but I really should have got brakes. Someday I will probably find tome to retrofit the thing.

If I remember seeing various adds correctly... you can now get disc brake conversions to swap out your drums.... or in your case do a raw install.

lawnkid14
08-23-2011, 12:08 PM
how hard is it to tow a 16 foot trailer and what about gas stations

Lawn Pawn
08-23-2011, 12:44 PM

SHOULD hardly know it's there. IF it is a good trailer/well made... YOU load it properly... and have an appropriate tow vehicle.

It would stand to reason the more weight you move.... the more fuel is required, but not disproportionate to the work getting done and charging accordingly for it.

mowerbrad
08-23-2011, 01:12 PM

If you are towing with a 1/2 ton truck with a V8 engine, you shouldn't have any problems. Obviously it is going to take longer to accelerate, especially with a loaded trailer.

With my 18' trailer, I don't particularly like going to some gas stations if they are busy because I don't have enough room to turn into a pump if there is a car at the pump next to me. However, with a little practice, you can get yourself into some pretty tight spots.

knox gsl
08-23-2011, 07:21 PM

1/2 ton truck easy, if you have it loaded right and with trailer brakes. Remember that with a 16' trailer and a pair of 3,500 lb axles you can have no more than 7,700lbs total. That includes trailer weight. 7,000 lbs on the axles and 700lbs on the hitch. If you get a trailer that is built right and you put the center of the load on the center of the trailer deck (not center of axles) then you should get it balanced this way. The only limiting factor then would be the tow vehical.

As far as gas stations, if you can't maneuver a pickup and trailer in a gas station then you shouldn't be driving.