PDA

View Full Version : too bid or not to bid

jokatico
10-30-2002, 03:14 PM
1st timer, so go easy on me.

How many of you have been asked to submit a bid on a comm. property that is being worked by another lco that you know? The company currently likes the service they are receiving but, they want to see if they are paying a fair market value.

lrose2
10-30-2002, 03:38 PM
I refuse to bid those jobs if I know the circumstances going in. If they are happy with their current LCO then I am just wasting time if I bid that job for their amusement. My opinion!

Guido
10-30-2002, 03:55 PM
Who are you more loyal to, this guy you just met and is asking for the bid (just for kicks) or the other LCO that you know?

If he's your friend, I would let him know this guy is asking for bids.

This happened to me once. One of my friends accounts asked me to bid on the property. They new the service he was providing was great, but it came with the price tag that it should have. I talked it over with him, and put in a bid $200 a month higher than his.

Needless to say, the account doesn't bust his chops about the price anymore!

:D

LAWNS AND MOWER
10-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Depends on how much I like the other LCO. If he´s a buddy of mine, I wouldn´t touch it. If he´s one of the LCO´s that doesn´t wave to me then I will definetly bid on it. My close LCO buddy got a call this spring to bid on a condo complex. I also got a call to bid on it. Call it price rigging if you want, but we both bid the same price of $200/cut. Turns out a lowballer got it for $100/cut.

jokatico
10-30-2002, 06:42 PM
This actually happened a month ago and I felt terrible for even considering looking at the property.
What I did was to talk to the Lco and told him that the company was looking for other bids.

I did submit a proposal but only after I talked to this guy. Our bids were very close.
Just found out today that neither one of us got the contract. We'll find out on Friday who has it.

I just hope that we didn't lose it to some lowballer.
I've only been in this business partime for 4 years but hoping to go fulltime. It doesn't look too
promising when 2 Lco's come up with 2 very close bids and some lowballer gets its.

Lawn-Scapes
10-30-2002, 06:48 PM
Maybe you should have bid much higher and they would have picked the middle guy (your friend)...

Randy Scott
10-30-2002, 07:55 PM
A "FRIEND" that is the LCO, I would talk to my friend about it. Someone I "KNOW" that is the LCO, it's fair game. I've been doing this two years full time and have made two, only two friends that I wouldn't bid against. In the two years doing this I have met and talked to a handful of LCO's that I would bid against all day long. Just because you talk to someone or see them around means jack to me. I'm here to make a living, not friends. I've got enough friends! Probably why I don't mingle with them. I don't care to be their buddies either. You can get too soft brown nosing everyone. There are a butt load of people running around here doing lawn and landscape work, if I waived to every one of them I'd probably develop arthritis in my arm and/or smash into something driving. Like I said, I've got two buddies doing this and we all try to get along and help each other out, that's enough.

jokatico
10-30-2002, 11:08 PM
They say Money is the root of all evil.

I sure would like to have more in my pocket.

Maybe your right Randy, I should definitely look after #1.
If I don't take the customers $ someone else will!

Envy Lawn Service
10-30-2002, 11:55 PM
I'll tell you exactly what I do in those situations. They ask me...I say tell me what they are charging and I can tell you right quick rather or not it's fair market price for this kind of service.

If it's close to reasonable I tell them yeah if I were you I'd be glad to pay that for a job well done. If the work is crappy or the price is out the roof, that's a whole nother story!

I currently know a guy who subs a contract out to a guy with a 33" scalper...I mean snapper rear engine rider. The sub guy gets $900 a month to maintain 4 small lease properties. Some of these are vacant now. This guy might cut the places once every 3-4 weeks on average.

Now that's a damn shame! These places are on the market and look like crap! I'd be glad to cut them every week for what the sub guy is getting or a hair less. I plan to contact the owners and arrange for them to come to town. I want them to meet with me at the properties, see the conditionof them, see some of my work and how it can help them keep these locations leased.

I plan to do all I can to blow this blood sucking, overcharging, slacker LCO and his sub out snapper buddy clean out of the water.

Our industry doesn't need these types any more than scrub lowballers!

Brickman
10-31-2002, 12:00 AM
If I found out they were just kickin the tires, and not serious I would stop right away. Tell em some kind of story about why you are backing out.

I had this place tell me after I spent a day bidding it that they didn't think they could afford any body, but wanted an idea of what to put the budget for their own purposes. I was pissed. Later when they called me again, and wanted a bid I just deleted the message, and didn't bother with em.

The Mowerdude
10-31-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by jokatico
They say Money is the root of all evil.

Actually, the saying is: "The 'LOVE' of money is the root of all evil."

It's from the Bible. 1 Timothy 6:10

Well, I'm in business to make a living, but I don't need the work bad enough to take away from another man that's doing a good job for a fair price. And really, I beleive that this is where you should draw the line. If the other LCO is doing a terrible job, then that's an entirely different story. But I've found time and again, that if the previous LCO was doing a good job and the price was reasonable, the customer was just jerking my chain. If I got the job away from the other LCO, it would only be a matter of time before another LCO got it away from me. Then it's a double loss. I would have lost this customer, plus the customer that I would've put in that slot if I hadn't been wasting my time on this loser. I'd rather fill up my customer list with folks who are in for the long haul and are not quibbling over working us one against the other. If I have a job and I find out that they're taking bids on my work, I have a what I call a "you can go to hell" meeting. If the contract allows, I'm leaving.

Yes, this has happened many times before, both with me on the giving end and the receiving end. I don't play this game and it's one of the biggest reasons I stick with residentials. That's not to say that this doesn't happen with residentials, but the stakes aren't nearly as high.

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2002, 12:37 AM
Mowerdude,

You absolutely could not have ever spoken the truth better or more clearly than that! I'm with you there 110%. Well said!!!