PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper mowers in input....

S&J LAWN
08-21-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm think about buy a Dixie chopper and I like some input on them.. Cut? ride? pros? coms? do's? Dont? What model ? silver eagle? Classic? What motor?

S&J LAWN
08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
I guess no one run them or cant buy one...No input,,,,

rwaters
08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
For every person that likes a mower you will find one that does not. The only real advice is get pumps and wheel motors and avoid the briggs(non Vanguard) and Kohler Courage engines if you want to use the commercially. I would look at more then one brand though and try them out to see what you like.

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Well i used to have one and i loved it. They are american built strong and built for farmer type people. because mostly anything that goes out on them can be replaced at your local auto supply store. I had the 72" dual motor 2 generac motors equaling out to 64HP

Cut was ok But its a fast mower.

To be honest with you, you're the person who hs to decide on if you want to save time or Make the best cut.

These mowers dont cut as good as exmarks but they are definitely faster than exmarks!

New my mower went 18MPH

Richard Martin
08-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I've liked the 2 that I've had. I've spent very, very little on repairs.

S&J LAWN
08-23-2011, 12:01 AM
i have exmarks an the dealers here suck.... and the cut sucks also. I have run grasshopper and buntons.. they cut the best ... i have 3 dealers here for Dixie choppers and it time for me to replace some mowers... Im looking to buy 5 new ones.. asap..

S&J LAWN
08-24-2011, 09:08 PM
What about the chain on the decks
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
08-25-2011, 02:41 AM
What about the chain on the decks

The chains will take a significant amount of downright abuse. Even if you were to snap a link you can always get a master link at any Harley dealer to fix it. I've never heard of someone breaking a chain though.

mowyo
08-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I have a 50" walk-behind and a 72" diesel .Three yrs. old now w 1200 hrs and they have been tough machines . My diesel rides very well (because its so heavy ). Just normal belts , blades, tires .Easy to work on ( you gonna be working on any of them ). Mine cut best with high - lift blades . Love the ocdc and have built them for my other mowers .

S&J LAWN
08-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Well I've been in business for 21 years and I don't think there bees a mower built that has run forever...you have to work on them all. I have 4 ex ark zero turn all the same model am
And same desk and one mower very very very well and the other mower like crap.....so it's in all of them. Thanks for the input.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I have a 50" walk-behind and a 72" diesel.

You have a Run Behind? The owners of the few that sold love them. It's probably the best walk behind ever made. 27 horse Generac on a 50" deck.

S&J LAWN
08-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Who's got the new Dixie chopper 3360 hp? Is the belt deal fix?
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm think about buy a Dixie chopper and I like some input on them.. Cut? ride? pros? coms? do's? Dont? What model ? silver eagle? Classic? What motor?

The cut is best I seen well mine are wet or dry cuts nice
Best ride Mowers that has 9'' rims with HD field Tracks 4 lbs air in the tire
Classic ones I like
Kohler is the best motor to have

I have 7 and ages
1985 50'' 20hpKohler Sold it few yrs back had 2k
1988 60'' 20hpK 2500Hrs my spray rig now
1992 60'' 22hpk 2k mows at the farm mostly back up mower
1995 60'' 25hpK 3k hill mower
2001 60'' 26EFI K 2700 Hill mower
2005 60'' 28EFI K 1400Hrs
2006 72'' 33hp G 1850Hrs
2011 72'' 33hp G 220 hrs

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-26-2011, 10:17 PM
The chains will take a significant amount of downright abuse. Even if you were to snap a link you can always get a master link at any Harley dealer to fix it. I've never heard of someone breaking a chain though.

Never broke a chain wear out the eye where chain pins in
Bolts softer then the chain

White Gardens
08-26-2011, 11:06 PM
I use a 62" classic, 23 horse generac on one property.

Even with the smaller motor, it still cuts good in tall wet conditions.

The biggest thing I like is the springer front forks on it. Makes for a smooth ride comparable to a Ferris.

I personally love the Generac motor over the Kohler. It's doesn't loose HP in tough conditions like a Kohler does. That and I've seen some high output commercial guys put 1500 hours a season on one machine with little to no issues.

Yes, the cut can be less than be desired, but the right tweaking with the blades and adjusting the front of the deck lip can help.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I use a 62" classic, 23 horse generac on one property.

Even with the smaller motor, it still cuts good in tall wet conditions.

The biggest thing I like is the springer front forks on it. Makes for a smooth ride comparable to a Ferris.

I personally love the Generac motor over the Kohler. It's doesn't loose HP in tough conditions like a Kohler does. That and I've seen some high output commercial guys put 1500 hours a season on one machine with little to no issues.

Yes, the cut can be less than be desired, but the right tweaking with the blades and adjusting the front of the deck lip can help.

...Didnt know DC made a 62'' or even offer a 23Hp Generac
1500 hrs in one season That be 7 months 270 days of mowing 7.5 hrs striaght each day Thats hard to believe

So how many Generac motors you own
I have 2 Good hp at a price They like gas Compare to my EFI Kohler

mowyo
08-30-2011, 08:14 AM
You have a Run Behind? The owners of the few that sold love them. It's probably the best walk behind ever made. 27 horse Generac on a 50" deck.

Yep , got one and love it ! Without a doubt , the most mower for the money I'll ever buy . ( $ 3000.!! )

White Gardens
08-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Didnt know DC made a 62'' or even offer a 23Hp Generac
1500 hrs in one season That be 7 months 270 days of mowing 7.5 hrs striaght each day Thats hard to believe

So how many Generac motors you own
I have 2 Good hp at a price They like gas Compare to my EFI Kohler

Pretty sure it's a 23 horse, 62" I use on one property. I'll have to double check it the next time I use it. It's an in-law who bought it to use, and then had some health issues and couldn't mow anymore, so I do it for him.

And the ones with high hours were at a place I used to work at a few years back. High volume mowing out-fit. Does the numbers add up?, who knows, but I remember looking at some of the machines at the end of the season, which were new in the beginning, and they had 1000 hours + on them.

preflawn1
08-31-2011, 03:25 PM
i have exmarks an the dealers here suck.... and the cut sucks also. I have run grasshopper and buntons.. they cut the best ... i have 3 dealers here for Dixie choppers and it time for me to replace some mowers... Im looking to buy 5 new ones.. asap..

In my opinion, the Exmark has the best cut in the industry. If the cut sucks, something must be wrong with it.

rwaters
08-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Pretty sure it's a 23 horse, 62" I use on one property. I'll have to double check it the next time I use it. It's an in-law who bought it to use, and then had some health issues and couldn't mow anymore, so I do it for him.

And the ones with high hours were at a place I used to work at a few years back. High volume mowing out-fit. Does the numbers add up?, who knows, but I remember looking at some of the machines at the end of the season, which were new in the beginning, and they had 1000 hours + on them.

I hope not as Dixie chopper does not make a 62 to my knowledge but I am farther from their main factory then you and I have seen guys come in with what they call prototype units that we had a hell of a problem finding parts for. Apparently they were non production choppers that were sold after testing.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM

If its 23 hp its old 60'' mower last time they put that small motor from factory I would say before 1998 and would not be a Generac
I say its a 27hp and 60''
If it is a 23hp then its not a 60''
Might be there small line 36 '' cut

But check it out take pics I like to realy know
Might been sold for a yr then they changed it

weve
08-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Back in 2005 Dixie badged two of their Silver Eagle models as 24hp Generac engines. They were actually 27hp Generac engines.

TMlawncare
09-01-2011, 12:38 AM

If you think the cut sucks on the Exmark, you will be really disappointed with the Dixie Chopper. We have one, the cut is among the worst I have seen. You have to double cut everything to get rid of the strip on grass that it misses between the blades.

TMlawncare
09-01-2011, 12:40 AM

Its also the ugliest mower ever built. Looks like someones garage project.

PLS-Tx
09-01-2011, 12:53 AM
We ran Dixie Chopper for several years. Would still be using them if we would have had good dealer support.

White Gardens
09-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Doesn't have to look good as long as it makes you money!

weve
09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm using my run behind for the fourth year now. I couldn't pass it up at half of list price and new. There are a few thing that I would change on it but overall it has been a good mower (800 hours and running). I live in a small farm town and use it for small residentials and also as a trim mower on larger accounts. I have seldom used my 21-inch in the last few years. It never lacks for power but does cost me more in fuel than when I use my diesel.

S&J LAWN
09-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Well I got a new 2011 classic with a 60 inch deck and a 33 hp motor. Mow less that a hr with it at home. We soon know what they got.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowyo
09-03-2011, 08:56 AM

I never cease to be amazed at how many people on here make business decisions based on how pretty something is,instead of what it can make them.I guess if you have a chrome , lifted 4x4 with a pipe sticking out of the bed off a Peterbilt then I guess a Dixie Chopper run - behind would be the wrong look for ur trailer......

Richard Martin
09-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I never cease to be amazed at how many people on here make business decisions based on how pretty something is,instead of what it can make them.I guess if you have a chrome , lifted 4x4 with a pipe sticking out of the bed off a Peterbilt then I guess a Dixie Chopper run - behind would be the wrong look for ur trailer......

I would have bought the mower if they had ever made it in a 36" but it was not to be. The brutal truth is that the Run-Behind was probably the ugliest mower ever made.

White Gardens
09-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I would have bought the mower if they had ever made it in a 36" but it was not to be. The brutal truth is that the Run-Behind was probably the ugliest mower ever made.

I had the opportunity to run their small 32" rider but was never impressed by it. The run-behind would have been a better set-up for the smaller deck.

So what was the deal with Dixie discontinuing the run-behind?

Richard Martin
09-03-2011, 06:04 PM
So what was the deal with Dixie discontinuing the run-behind?

Lack of sales. Then they tried passing off this Chinese mower, which is nothing but a Redhawk with silver and black paint, and that only lasted until everybody figured out what it was. It didn't sell either and was discontinued in short order.

mowyo
09-04-2011, 02:41 AM
I agree , It's not a beautiful piece of engineering. When I bought it Ferris and Exmark priced their walk-behind mowers something over $7000 and I found this Dixie walk-behind new for $3000. To me, it was a no - brainer swinging deal !! Three yrs later , I still love the mower and would buy another if I needed one.

TaskForceLawnCare
09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I run a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 50" with a 27 hp Genrac. Big seller for me on it is that i can fix it myself if needed, and it's made in America. Mine cuts great I've raised the lip on the front of the deck and i use gator blades. If you are leaving a strip of grass with any commercial mower then you might want to sharpen your blades or slow down a little. just because you can mow at 18 mph doesn't mean you should or will get the best cut at that speed. i also use a 36" Better Outdoor Products walk behind with a 15 hp kaw motor. i use gator blades on it as well and the front of the deck is about a 1/4'" lower then the back. both machines mow and stripe great. use what you'll have good dealer support for and maintain whatever you choose well and they'll all do a good job for you.