PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Walker..brand new

JeanLouis
10-30-2002, 04:16 PM
While searching for a second hand Walker, I have been offered to buy a brand new one at a good price (about 35% off the normal price). It's a showroom model, with zero hours, but built in november 1996!
It was never sold because everybody wants diesels around here.
It's a 16 HP model, one cylinder, 42GHS, no handbrake, and springs at the rear discharge door instead of shocks.
Could anybody give me some advice about this model (weak points, necessary updates); and, if I buy it, should I change the hydro's oil ?

musselman
10-30-2002, 05:28 PM
A couple of years ago I had alot of work from a company who rebids yearly.....I dint want to buy a new machine for work I might not have the next year (as it turns out I dint get it the next year) so I rented a 1996 16hp...It was a great machine...slower than my 20hp but I woud have loved to have kept it.

Indiana
10-30-2002, 05:53 PM
I have a 1994 Walker Model C.....

Exactly what this machine is. I love mine, a little slower than the "T" I have but a little smaller to get into tight spots. I have a 42" GHS deck and a 48" side discharge.

This machine sells for around $8900 in the US. I would say 35% off that should be around $5785 US. I would buy it for that....

Updates should be easy to get done and should be included at no extra charge because Walker warentees these.

Good deal......

TLS
10-30-2002, 05:54 PM
JeanLouis,

First off, Welcome to Lawnsite!

Cant help you much with the Walkers, but lots of guys on here have them, I'm sure they'll post. Sounds like you may be able to "name" your price on that, since he's been unable to sell it for 7 years!

Hey noticed your from Europe. Thats a big place, why don't you narrow it down for us! Since 99% of us on here are from the US, we list what state/town/county.

Feel free to share any ideas about the way things are done across the pond!

Later

MOW ED
10-30-2002, 07:49 PM
A thing to be careful with is the springs on the rear door. The door can snap down REAL fast and do a little chopping action to the fingers.
I would buy that if I were you. Walker makes a great machine. Check and see if the dealer is gonna give you a warranty.
As far as the hydro oil goes, why change it? It hasn't been used. Heat and dirt are what kills oils. No use , no problem. Good Luck.

Cleve
10-30-2002, 09:39 PM
I also have a 94' with the same engine. Bought it new and it has been a great machine.
Regards the springs, Walker had a recall on these and the dealer is supposed to change them to the shocks at no charge. Anyway, the springs were no real problem. By the way, the engine is a 3 cylinder not a single cylinder. I have never felt that power was a problem. Never wanted to mow at full speed on any lawn. The only thing I wish I had is the tilt-up deck. I don't know if the 96' comes with it or not.
Cleve.

cantoo
10-30-2002, 10:48 PM
Cleve, 3 cylinder?

Ryan Lightning
10-30-2002, 10:57 PM
Id ask for all the up grades, and a warranty, and then Id buy it if theyll do it.
The Kohler 16hp is a 2 cylinder
The diesel is the 3 cylinder
The old 11.5 Kawasaki is the only Walker single cylinder(i think :p)

mcambrose
10-30-2002, 11:38 PM
You were correct, it has a 16hp Kohler Magnum with a single cylinder. I have owned three of these starting with a 1993 model. The price is great, so I would buy. One negative is the air cleaner system, unless that model has the Donaldson cleaner. I cut off the snorkel on my 1995 model and added the cyclone use on the Donaldson setup. It cleans the air a lot better than the bottle system with the small fan. The 16hp don't last as long as the 20 hp. I have two 20 hp. I have generally gotten about 1,000 hours from a 16 hp since it has no oil filter or pump and the air cleaning system is not as good. A replacement engine is only about $1,100 USD, and easy to change, so no big deal. I still have springs on my 1995 model grass catcher. No big deal. I like the 20 hp much better.

Brickman
10-31-2002, 01:10 AM
In my opinion the 16 is too weak. I had a 16 and a 25. I would take the 25 any day of the week. It will make some difference if you are bagging or SD. If SD then the 16 might do OK.

Welcome to LS.

JeanLouis
10-31-2002, 03:51 AM
Many thanks to all for your wise advise...

I was afraid that this model was a lemon and didn't want to be the donkey of the story by buying it.
As for the eventual lack of power, I am also concerned, but for half the price of a diesel I'm willing to work slower - and my customers will appreciate it too...I still have my ZTR as back-up.
Another point is the weight difference. The 16 HP is much lighter.
Around here (Belgium) we must work in very wet conditions to maintain our schedule, and the heavier the mower, the more we risk to make marks in the soft turf. (hope you understand). So a smaller model might be an advantage after all.

Yes, there is a tilt-up deck ! I'm tired to lay on the ground everyday for maintenance, this is a nice change.
Thanks for the warning about the springs. I'll ask for the updates with the importer who is willing to deal direct with me.
As for the price, I"m afraid the dealer won't accept to lose money..

Gravely_Man
10-31-2002, 01:01 PM
Sounds like a good deal. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it if you decide to purchase the machine.

Gravely_Man

ilovethisgame
10-31-2002, 08:25 PM
If you buy it get the speed up pulley. It's a cheap upgrade and worth every penny

-Dave