PDA

View Full Version : Natural Flagstone Walk.

White Gardens
08-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Customer wants a natural flag walk in front of their house going from the house to the driveway.

I was planning on building just like a paver walk with the correct base and bedding sand and such, but....

There is a large Silver Maple tree in the area and the walk will be within a few feet of the walk.

My concern is the base. I'm thinking the minimum depth at 4" compacted but I'm concerned that the lime in the base is going to affect the health of the tree.

Even if not I'll have to do a lot of hand digging around roots, and there is no guarantee that the walk will stay flat due to tree growth.

The other option being is to use the sheets of paver base from a box-store to get some stability, or to just dry set them on the grade and let nature take it's course.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

greatinmulchbeds
08-22-2011, 05:31 PM
is there anyway the walk could be curved around the tree to avoid root systems?

White Gardens
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
is there anyway the walk could be curved around the tree to avoid root systems?

Not at all. Even if I moved it, the tree is so close to the house as it is it wouldn't matter.

Part of me wants to just throw it on grade and be done with it, then have me come back if the tree ever dies to install it better.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284711_10150267541897643_185135107642_7816952_5053128_n.jpg

greatinmulchbeds
08-22-2011, 11:01 PM
ah yeah you cant really curve it any which way to avoid the tree. what about more of a permeable application with the larger slabs?

White Gardens
08-23-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm kinda thinking that direction. The only problem is they want to close off the end of the porch with a short section of fence, so the walk is going to be needed to access the front door.

I'm a big fan of making the front walks as tight as possible so that grandma doesn't trip and fall when she comes over for dinner, or the Paramedics have no issue with getting equipment to the front door if need be.

I'm wondering, just wondering if I'm going to end up using the Brock Paver base. Might be the best for this application.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=340084

I never thought as a traditionalist that I'd ever use it, but this might be the right time to try it out.