PDA

View Full Version : which polymeric sand

dovetail
08-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I am completing a drylay bluestone patio. Base was 6inches of crush/run followed by one inch of stone dust. Which polymeric sand?
I contacted Techniseal and they recommended HP2. I can only obtain the RG+ locally. Alliance Gator dust and Superbond are available too. Any thoughts on which brand and type?

Cam.at.Heritage
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I guess I am partial (and not sure it its available there) but Envirobond is good stuff. Never really used anything else.

DVS Hardscaper
08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Some people like Peter Pan peanut butter, Some like Jiffy peanut butter.

What's important is that you use what's speced for your job (joint widths, depths, etc)

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
What size joints are in the patio. I would lean towards the Gator Dust if you have bigger joints 1.5" and up. I use Super sand, but I haven't used the Gator dust yet.

Hayes Outdoor
08-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Joint width is very important in your decision. I almost always use Gator Dust. Especially with irregular natural stone because your joints will be different widths throughout the project. Just be sure to clean your stone off really well before wetting it down because it will leave a white film on the stone. Good Luck

dovetail
08-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Argh. I should have posted the joint width. 1/2 inch.
So, in my research I have found that wide joints larger particle size. I was just wondering what really is the difference between types. I was a little confused by the Techniseal rep. It seems when I look at the specs there is little difference between the two types they have. But, when I said to the rep that I had used stone dust he steered me to the HP2.
So given a smaller joint size of less than one inch are all the major brands basically the same?
Thanks for the replies.

dovetail
08-23-2011, 06:50 PM
One more thing. The bluestone is 1.5 inch thick.

ryde307
08-25-2011, 06:39 PM
IM not as experianced as many here but personaly we used techniseal sand and switched to just using alliance (gator) sand. It seems to hold up better and small thing but the bags are much better and hold up to being moved. It sucks to tare a $20 bag of sand moving it around.

AztlanLC
08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
This season we had issues with alliance, the haze that leaves on the pavers is the main issue, I explain this to my sales rep and he brought Jack the owner of alliance and his crew to show us the proper way to install it, I asked to do a separate section with techniseal next to theirs, you could see the difference between the 2 sections but they still were saying with couple of rains they will look the same.
They seem to be confident of their product and stand behind it, but for me is hard to justify keep using their sand as much as I like and respect the way they tried to resolve my concerns.

LoweJ82
08-25-2011, 08:51 PM
never used either but Im about to use 45 bags of gator dust on a flagstone walkway and patio like area.

AztlanLC
08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't put that much sand of any brand without testing a small area first and see the results if you and customer iare happy then apply it, i know for a fact that the gator dust has some type of portland and then and it shows more on blue stone.
Posted via Mobile Device

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-27-2011, 09:53 AM
When my brother grouts natural stone tile he seals it first. I wonder if you seal Bluestone with a matte sealer if that would help with the Gator Dust haze?

LoweJ82
08-27-2011, 10:47 AM
never used either but Im about to use 45 bags of gator dust on a flagstone walkway and patio like area.

I wouldn't put that much sand of any brand without testing a small area first and see the results if you and customer iare happy then apply it, i know for a fact that the gator dust has some type of portland and then and it shows more on blue stone.
Posted via Mobile Device

we will be testing it out on small area that I did in the back for a fire pit to sit on, Never used this product so I'm kinda iffy, seen it after installed about a year in it was cracked and pulled away from stone, didn't look like these stones was even installed on a base but yet just laid on the ground then they used gator dust