PDA

View Full Version : Redmax Hard To Pull

vg92
08-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Just bought a new Redmax stick edger from a dealer via mail order. Every time when I try to start it, I feel a lot of resistance while pulling the rope. It appears the rope is released inch-by-inch as the piston moves up and down. I currently have other 2-cycle equipment from Kawasaki, Shindaiwa and Echo, none of them behaves like this Redmax. Is this some characteristics of the “Strato-charged” engine or the unit is defective? After it’s started, however, it works fine with lots of torque and the engine sounds normal. Would like to hear what others think before taking this to a local dealer.

Thanks in advance.

RickyDL77
08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
we have had redmax for at least 8 years now, they do tend to have slightly more compression with the reed valve (strato-charged) system when starting for the first couple of days. it usually goes away or the guys just get used to it, not really sure. if it feels really out of the ordinary then its a possibility the reed valves have stuck closed due to gummin of fuel but it rarely happens and hardly runs when it does. how many hours might the machine have?

vg92
08-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Ricky, it’s brand new.

Edged for maybe 20 minutes after I got it started the first time. I’m a homeowner, not a pro. Just want to mention that I didn’t use Redmax oil, not sure if that would make a difference. It was mixed at 50:1 ratio using 89 octane gas. I use the same fuel in all other 2-cycle machines and they run absolutely fine.

If that’s something unique to Redmax, I’d wait until I’ve edged a few times to see any improvement. Thanks for the response so far.

RickyDL77
08-25-2011, 10:13 AM
as long as the power is good i would not worry to much about it. Redmax oil is not neccessary, just needs to be a premium oil with the correct labeling.

44DCNF
08-25-2011, 01:22 PM
While the strato may make a big difference too, I think it is probably an issue of being new and tight. I reckon it will loosen up a little as it breaks in. Are you using the same technique as you would a chainsaw? Push the unit away from you with one arm as you pull the rope with the other. That may help too.

vg92
08-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I hold it down firm on the ground with one arm and pull the rope with the other. Will try your method this weekend.

44DCNF
08-25-2011, 11:25 PM
You'll want to balance the head on the wheel at an angle that the blade will be off the ground when it starts

newz7151
08-26-2011, 01:48 AM
just a ? , did you call the dealer you got it from and ask them at all?

vg92
08-26-2011, 08:29 AM
just a ? , did you call the dealer you got it from and ask them at all?

Not yet. I figured you guys know more than the dealer anyway. :)

newz7151
08-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Not yet. I figured you guys know more than the dealer anyway. :)

I just asked, because I was not aware that Husqvarna released RedMax for online sales.

vg92
08-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I just asked, because I was not aware that Husqvarna released RedMax for online sales.

Not sure what their policies are for online/mail order sales but I had verified the seller was indeed an authorized dealer before I bought it. I got for a good price as it was last year’s model. For the price, I was willing to take a chance.

During the weekend, I removed the spark plug since Ricky mentioned about compression in his first response. Guess what, it was extremely easy to pull the rope without the plug. As soon as I loosely attached the plug, however, the rope was much harder to pull. Is this an indication of higher than normal compression? Are any adjustments I can make to reduce the pressure?

RickyDL77
08-29-2011, 01:10 PM
is this the EBZ7001/8001 models? if so they are hard to pull for the first couple weeks use. our guys constantly bring them in for broken pull cords. I beleave its normal as they are pretty decent sized engies at 62cc and 72cc respectfully. If you have ever used a concrete saw or large chainsaw you know they use a pressure relief valve on the to[p of the cylinder to help with starting, if you have ever forgotten to use it and tried to start cold it could hurt pretty bad. For example i have a Husqvarna 385 chainsaw with an 82cc engine 24inch bar, without the pressure release valve open it rips the cord out my hand.

Guess what im trying to explain is the pressure is normal and is good, taking the sparkplug out and it turns over easy is a good thing too as it rules out broken rings or a warped piston/scared cylinder. the pressure is not great enough in redmax' eyes to put in a relief valve and they rely souly on the counter weight of the fan and flywheel to keep it from yanking out your hands. not sure if this is only on redmax models as i mainly only deal with Redmax, but from what i gather it's nothing to worrie about. Even if it is, they carry a 2 year comercial warranty so use it like theirs no tomorrow, if there is a problem it will present itself soon enough.

RickyDL77
08-29-2011, 01:17 PM
is this the EBZ7001/8001 models? if so they are hard to pull for the first couple weeks use. our guys constantly bring them in for broken pull cords. I beleave its normal as they are pretty decent sized engies at 62cc and 72cc respectfully. If you have ever used a concrete saw or large chainsaw you know they use a pressure relief valve on the to[p of the cylinder to help with starting, if you have ever forgotten to use it and tried to start cold it could hurt pretty bad. For example i have a Husqvarna 385 chainsaw with an 82cc engine 24inch bar, without the pressure release valve open it rips the cord out my hand.

Guess what im trying to explain is the pressure is normal and is good, taking the sparkplug out and it turns over easy is a good thing too as it rules out broken rings or a warped piston/scared cylinder. the pressure is not great enough in redmax' eyes to put in a relief valve and they rely souly on the counter weight of the fan and flywheel to keep it from yanking out your hands. not sure if this is only on redmax models as i mainly only deal with Redmax, but from what i gather it's nothing to worrie about. Even if it is, they carry a 2 year comercial warranty so use it like theirs no tomorrow, if there is a problem it will present itself soon enough.

OK wow.. BUMP i am getting my threads mixed up sorry. been a long week..swamp fires, earthquakes, huricains, tornadoes all in 1 week...my head is still spinning.

As far as the compression goes, it is only hard to pull when cold right? and its kinda "tight" in one spot? this is a normal thing with the stratocharged engines. like i said before, us it like it's any other machine, eventually it will start feeling better. it should carry a 2 year warranty, even the best machines have a dud every once in a while.

rwaters
08-29-2011, 01:26 PM

They haven't from what I have seen from my distributor they just turn a blind eye on it. But if you read the warranty statement it has to be started by a dealer for warranty and trained in maintance and operation. So you could have hell on the warranty end getting it covered.

2stroked
08-29-2011, 09:11 PM
OK wow.. BUMP i am getting my threads mixed up sorry. been a long week..swamp fires, earthquakes, huricains, tornadoes all in 1 week...my head is still spinning.

As far as the compression goes, it is only hard to pull when cold right? and its kinda "tight" in one spot? this is a normal thing with the stratocharged engines. like i said before, us it like it's any other machine, eventually it will start feeling better. it should carry a 2 year warranty, even the best machines have a dud every once in a while.
Haha you guys in Virgina have had some crazy stuff going on this week

vg92
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM

Yes to both questions, so I guess it's normal for a new strato-charged engine. Actually it's a HEZ3050S stick edger which I believe has the largest engine (29.5 cc) in the lineup.

jdunk
10-02-2011, 08:27 AM
try storing the unit with the carb on the bottom to to check if the carb might be seeping in to the bore causing a hard to turn over issue