PDA

View Full Version : Weathermatic Proline

Sprinkus
08-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Anyone try the new Weathermatic Proline (http://www.weathermatic.com/files//Literature/Smart%20Controls/ProLine/ProLine%20Eleven%20%28AD335%29.pdf) controllers yet?
It appears to be a Smartline with the "Auto-adjust" features removed.
I'll be installing one later this week on a small residence.
Pretty darn good price on it too.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
looks like they are still using those cheesy speaker clip terminals.

Mike Leary
08-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm getting to trust W*M less and less.

greenmonster304
08-22-2011, 09:58 PM
looks "busy". But what do I know we don't even use back flow preventers here

Wet_Boots
08-22-2011, 10:02 PM
if you remove the auto-adjust from the SmartLine, does it become the DumbLine? ;)

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
08-22-2011, 11:57 PM
if you remove the auto-adjust from the SmartLine, does it become the DumbLine? ;)

No.... Even with Auto Adjust it is already the DumbLine. Now it's just an overgrown Orbit!

mitchgo
08-23-2011, 01:16 AM
No.... Even with Auto Adjust it is already the DumbLine. Now it's just an overgrown Orbit!

care to explain your report?

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
08-23-2011, 01:33 PM
care to explain your report?

My opinion of the SmartLine is based on my first hand experience with them. I'll start with the overall cheap feel and build quality. The display sucks! It's 2011... c'mon already and put a decent display in that controller..... it'll probably only cost another $1 per unit to do so! I also hate the terminal strips (as do others here) and I also hate the fact that on the 4800 the opening in the bottom of the controller is way to small to fish a large amount of 14ga wire into. The weather station is the cheapest feeling and looking part of the whole deal. I think it must cost them $2 to make in China. I would probably be able to get past the physical quality shortcomings if the damn thing actually worked properly. We have on on a site with 37 stations, of those 28 are turf with MP Rotators. We have a very very strict water window on the site (as per the clients needs). The controller seems to run as many stations as it can and then once the water window is closed it stops. This is fine, it's what it is supposed to do but then it never seems to run the remaining stations. It should run the remaining stations the next available watering day (since it doesn't need to water every station every day) but it does not seem to do this it just keeps accumulating deficit for the stations that it isn't watering. I think when the Smart Line came out it was a big break through for it's price range but now there are controllers and other options that are so much better. If Weathermatic wants to stay in the game they are going to have to step it up a notch and completely re-design that thing.....

Mike Leary
08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
The truth is prolly W*M is just hanging on, though I have some good friends in that company who are quality. Love their valves, brass nozzles and that big boy SL was a neat clock, but the other clocks, go fish; the're ESP clones.

bcg
08-24-2011, 05:35 PM
looks like they are still using those cheesy speaker clip terminals.

I hate those things. That's my one big complaint about the EPS-LXM, I really prefer screws. They can put them on the ESP-M so they should be able to on the ESP-LSM also. Oh well, I have an RB specific TRC now so at least I don't have to put remote pigtails on the LXM anymore.

Mike Leary
08-24-2011, 05:44 PM
I have an RB specific TRC now so at least I don't have to put remote pigtails on the LXM anymore.

Hope it's not a site with a lot of conc to blow through, those TRCs are crap on out-of-line-of-site jobs. :hammerhead:

bcg
08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I know you keep saying that but I haven't had any problems with mine on sites up to about 5 acres. I don't have any bigger than that so it works well for me.

Mike Leary
08-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I know you keep saying that but I haven't had any problems with mine on sites up to about 5 acres. I don't have any bigger than that so it works well for me.

You're right; on larger sites, most install jerks/designers don't know how to test for antenna coverage, though I cover mega sites with the RM and blow through some heavy metal.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
08-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I hate those things. That's my one big complaint about the EPS-LXM, I really prefer screws. They can put them on the ESP-M so they should be able to on the ESP-LSM also. Oh well, I have an RB specific TRC now so at least I don't have to put remote pigtails on the LXM anymore.

Yes but at least on the ESP-LX and ESP-LXM they have dual sided terminal strips so you could put your field wire in one side and your remote pigtail wire onthe other side. I actually like that setup because then you're not having to unscrew a bunch of screws and wrapping the pigtail wire around the field wire... much faster IMO.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
My main thing with screw terminals is it makes it much easier to use your multimeter. Putting pigtails in those speaker clips are not that bad on the ESP-LX

Sprinkus
08-24-2011, 09:02 PM
that big boy SL was a neat clock

I used to maintain a site with 11 System Link controllers. The faceplates had a bad habit of failing along with the solder joints on the terminal strips.
The software was OK. I was able to drive around the site with a laptop in my truck ,along with a trunking radio, and activate zones as needed.