PDA

View Full Version : Official 2011 Winterizing Thread

Wet_Boots
08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Labor Day is almost here, so time to plan for winterizing. I've always liked having a compact truckmount compressor, no matter what you rent for the bulk of the work. However, the complete units sold today seem a little cheesy compared to yesteryear's equipment. That said, there are few practical alternatives, unless you build your own rig, with a pump you might find on an auction site.

Someone in western Pennsylvania might be able to cobble together a good one, because a quality pump (http://www.ebay.com/itm/120765121625) is on eBay right now

DanaMac
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm looking to get one mounted inside the van this year for one of my guys. I need to hook up with TomTom to look at his a little closer.

Wet_Boots
08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
The nice thing about the one in the picture, is that it has head unloaders, which allows it to run from a gasoline engine.

Mike Leary
08-22-2011, 06:38 PM
The nice thing about the one in the picture, is that it has head unloaders, which allows it to run from a gasoline engine.

Is there something wrong with tow-behinds? :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
08-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Is there something wrong with tow-behinds? :dizzy:Two words ~ "switchback driveway"

mitchgo
08-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Two words ~ "switchback driveway"

That's easy and fun :).. lol apparently it's hard for me to back out correctly without a trailer

I use to push back airplanes at our airport. That was intense

mitchgo
08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't want to talk about winterizing. summer like just started here.
I kinda yelled at my gf the other day for talking about xmas

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo winterizing talk yet puhleeeze

Wet_Boots
08-22-2011, 07:34 PM
I can back up with a tow-behind compressor on an uphill curving driveway about as well as I can sing opera.

OuklqJD3v0c

Stuttering Stan
08-22-2011, 09:03 PM
So what's everybody charging this year?
Please don't answer, I'm being a smart***.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I have a couple of steep driveways I REFUSE to drive up with a tow behind. I drain them as best as I can, and hope for the best. I'm always afraid my brakes or transmission will go out and then I'm sliding down the driveway backwards into traffic.

I can back up with a trailer just fine, but one of my employees is not so great at it. Getting older, a little eye sight troubles. As long as it takes him to back out of some of these long switch back, or long winding drives, the van mount one will definitely help out. I want to get rid of my 150 cfm as it is a loud, leaking, heavy beast. I think it contributed to blowing two transmissions in my '96 GMC.

DanaMac
08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
So what's everybody charging this year?
Please don't answer, I'm being a smart***.
Posted via Mobile Device

$20. Is that too high? I can probably do it cheaper.
:)

greenmonster304
08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm looking to get one mounted inside the van this year for one of my guys. I need to hook up with TomTom to look at his a little closer.

Booooo. No stinky exaust fumes and sloshed gas inside the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
08-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Truckmount compressors are more for pickups, so fumes and fuel won't matter.

AI Inc
08-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

was thinking the same when I read the first post about it.

Mdirrigation
08-23-2011, 09:36 PM
we have an outfit around here that throws compressors in the vans , they fired a service guy that refused to do it that way due to the fumes

SDLandscapes VT
08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
the guy who blows out all the systems on properties I manage has a setup in a panel type van where the compressor runs off the engine of the van--including a pneumatic reel for sucking the hose back in. Pretty slick...

DanaMac
08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

TomTom said he's never had an issue with fumes. He's also modified the exhaust to face toward the open door instead of straight up.
Posted via Mobile Device

jcom
08-24-2011, 07:43 AM
I will be loading my 80 CFM into the pickup right after Labor Day and it will stay in until Oct. 30.

John

txgrassguy
08-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Winter? WINTER????
I'd just like a day where the high temps are in the low 90's.

Wet_Boots
10-05-2011, 11:13 AM
we have an outfit around here that throws compressors in the vans , they fired a service guy that refused to do it that way due to the fumesservice guy could have phoned OSHA, maybe, but I remember seeing engines running in Servicemaster vans

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 03:36 PM
I never did it, but I considered cutting the axles of my Grimmer/Schmidt 125 and buying a flatbed truck to skid-mount it. My guys jack- knifed (as did I) those tow-behinds many, many times. :dizzy:

AI Inc
10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
We used to break em down and put em in the back of pickups.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
We used to break em down and put em in the back of pickups.

I used to hear those jack knife stories weeks later from one of the mouthy apprentices how the lead almost had to call for a tow truck. :dizzy:

AI Inc
10-05-2011, 05:29 PM
My tech jacknifed the aerating trailer 2 weeks ago. caved in the rear corner and sliced it like a friggen can opener.

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 05:35 PM
This is one reason I went with the smaller compressor in the van. I might get a curtain from American Van to go between the cab and the back.
http://www.americanvan.com/thermal-curtain-full-size-van.html

My tech says the fumes aren't bad at all, but I may do it just to do it. Hopefully the curtains will keep more of the fumes/smell out of the cab. It will also keep more heat or A/C in the cab.

AI Inc
10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
May try and change out a back window to one that opens , or put a roof vent in

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
It vents really well actually, unless the wind is blowing it back in. The compressor is at the far back, exhaust points out, and the door is kept open during blow out. Side door is open as that is where the hose reel is.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 05:40 PM
My tech once told me that he'd had a "scrape" with a excavator. Big deal, I had other things do. A week later, I needed something out of the service truck and looked at the "scrape". It had trashed all the compartment doors of my beloved Royal service body. Royal wanted more than my 250 was worth to replace the doors; my guy learned to not spot the rig next to a excavator, I never forgave the excavator operator for not paying attention, and never used his services again because he blamed my guy and never offered to split the repairs. :hammerhead:

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
One of my guys punctured a hole in my '96 GMC with a green T post after stopping at a port-a-potty on a construction site. Went through the extra cab and out the back of the cab. Just wasn't paying attention.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Funny how that works with employees; I bought my F 250 w/ Royal body brand new, so proud I was to finally "be in the biz". After driving it myself for a few years, I expanded and started hiring employees; that's when the poor dear started being destroyed. :cry:

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Funny how that works with employees; I bought my F 250 w/ Royal body brand new, so proud I was to finally "be in the biz". After driving it myself for a few years, I expanded and started hiring employees; that's when the poor dear started being destroyed. :cry:

My other employee slammed into a concrete footer for a light post in a parking lot. The was no light post attached at the time. F150 needs $1500 worth of fixes, out of pocket. Also had a drunk driver hit this same vehicle at about 6:00 PM after a last service call.
I on the other hand, have never hit anything. :)

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
A few pics of the new, smaller compressor and reel. Hose not attached when pic taken.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I on the other hand, have never hit anything. :)

Most owners never have, oh, maybe once or twice.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 06:14 PM
A few pics of the new, smaller compressor and reel. Hose not attached when pic taken.

That is a damn cool set-up Dana. What CFM is it?

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
That is a damn cool set-up Dana. What CFM is it?

It's about a 24 CFM. But it does pretty decent. Can't be used on megas, but it can still do a 6-10 zone system in 30 minutes, in and out. Little more time on some funky ones. No more than two zones at once, sometimes only one zone.
And a regulator with easy access if we need to adjust. I think he has it set at about 58-60 right now. Still playing with it, getting used to it and it's quirks.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Gonna be interesting how that pressboard will stand up with water from the hose.

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Gonna be interesting how that pressboard will stand up with water from the hose.

It's what was sitting around in the shop. We can replace next year if needed, but it shouldn't get too wet.
I know we will be a little slower with each job using this, and I can't send him to some bigger systems, but the saving will be made up in:

quicker exiting a long winding driveway - no backing a trailer
we can get closer with the van than a truck and trailer to the blow out point - so less time winding hose in and out
fuel costs - van and efficient compressor, compared to a truck hauling a heavy compressor and gas guzzling compressor
no license plate renewal
no trailer insurance
no tires or large maintenance repairs like the 150 cfm it replaces
less chance of accident with no trailer
less chance of it getting stolen - we did have a hitch lock for the 150 but you never know

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 08:08 PM
It's what was sitting around in the shop. We can replace next year if needed, but it shouldn't get too wet.
I know we will be a little slower with each job using this, and I can't send him to some bigger systems, but the saving will be made up in:

we can get closer with the van than a truck and trailer to the blow out point - so less time winding hose in and out
fuel costs - van and efficient compressor, compared to a truck hauling a heavy compressor and gas guzzling compressor
no license plate renewal
no trailer insurance
less chance of it getting stolen - we did have a hitch lock for the 150 but you never know

I like how you pay attention to details, good for you! :clapping::drinkup:

greenmonster304
10-05-2011, 08:09 PM

no license plate renewal
no trailer insurance

you have to register and insure compressors in CO?

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Our 125 had plates and was required to be insured in WA.

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM

Yup. Any trailer pulled behind a vehicle. If its got an axle, and its on the road, its got plates.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mdirrigation
10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
never had a tag on a compressor for 25 years , I have seen a few but most dont have them, Insurance , liability is from the towing vehicle, tires I just run regular 15 inch car tires , I get them free from a buddy that scraps cars , the compressor is lighter than a car .

greenmonster304
10-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Yup. Any trailer pulled behind a vehicle. If its got an axle, and its on the road, its got plates.
Posted via Mobile Device

Even things like log spliters and cement mixers? If so where do you get titles for these? They don't have vin #s.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 09:33 PM
never had a tag on a compressor for 25 years , I have seen a few but most dont have them, Insurance , liability is from the towing vehicle, tires I just run regular 15 inch car tires , I get them free from a buddy that scraps cars , the compressor is lighter than a car .

One wreck and you are screwed, blued and tattooed.

unit28
10-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Even things like log spliters and cement mixers? If so where do you get titles for these? They don't have vin #s.
Posted via Mobile Device

found this at a freight company...
if anyone is looking for one:)

Ariens Log Splitter Lighted License Plate Holder
http://www.wisesales.com/ariens-log-splitter-lighted-license-plate-holder.html

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Titles would be thru the state. Probably need to create some kind of serial numbers or vin number. A homemade trailer wouldn't have a vin, but it better be registered and titled. Check local laws.
Posted via Mobile Device

AI Inc
10-06-2011, 06:01 AM

I thought you were bullshatting me when we met and you said a compressor dosnt need a plate.

Mdirrigation
10-06-2011, 08:45 PM
One wreck and you are screwed, blued and tattooed.

Not realy , I have a statement from the state police that the compressor doesnt need a tag . In Md the insurance of the vehicle covers the trailer , liability only .

AI Inc
10-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Not realy , I have a statement from the state police that the compressor doesnt need a tag . In Md the insurance of the vehicle covers the trailer , liability only .

Insurance is the same here, but we still need a plate.

Wet_Boots
10-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Insurance is the same here, but we still need a plate.(insert big government joke here)

Wet_Boots
01-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Why we like globe/angle valves - reason #8 - an emergency blowout/drain valve put in place at an unoccupied building with the system water still turned on inside

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5408/mastervalveblowout.jpg

greenmonster304
01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Why we like globe/angle valves - reason #8 - an emergency blowout/drain valve put in place at an unoccupied building with the system water still turned on inside

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5408/mastervalveblowout.jpg

I blew out a place today. He owed menmoney so I wouldn't do it until I had a cleared check. I was laughing when the sam heads popes up all split.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Sweet thinking Boots.

Mike Leary
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Geez, Boots gets all the cool gigs.