PDA

View Full Version : Help with Overseeding Game Plan

c2weech
08-22-2011, 08:17 PM
In the next few weeks I plan to over seed a 30,000 sqft lawn.

This is what I was thinking

1.Apply Compost
2. Aerate
3. Overseed with Tall Fescue or Turf type tall fescue with about 10% KBG and possibly some dutch clover?

Does this sounds like the appropriate order and what is a good app. rate for the compost how do I calculate this?

Does anyone seed any clover in for its ability to naturally add nitrogen?

This lawn is coming off drugs and going organic

Any thoughts and advice are welcome

Thanks

ICT Bill
08-23-2011, 09:04 AM
In the next few weeks I plan to over seed a 30,000 sqft lawn.

This is what I was thinking

1.Apply Compost
2. Aerate
3. Overseed with Tall Fescue or Turf type tall fescue with about 10% KBG and possibly some dutch clover?

Does this sounds like the appropriate order and what is a good app. rate for the compost how do I calculate this?

Does anyone seed any clover in for its ability to naturally add nitrogen?

This lawn is coming off drugs and going organic

Any thoughts and advice are welcome

Thanks

what a welcome sign that things are changing, yes clover is a great part of the lawn, unless someone is allergic to bees I think clover is great

many of the sports turf guys we works with top dress first and then aerate, many others aerate first and then top dress, I think its 6 of one and half dozen of the other myself. If I was going to choose one I would top dress first

one yard of compost will cover 1000 to 1500 sq ft in general

once the seed uses up all of its stored energy it will need a little push into fall to get established well, you might think about a fish/kelp (nitrogen/potassium) with micronutrient application in a month or so

Exact Rototilling
08-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Is this a residential lawn? The busy body neighbors :nono: might frown on it consider it an invasive weed.

Personally I'm not opposed to an accent of clover in a lawn.

c2weech
08-23-2011, 03:09 PM
what a welcome sign that things are changing, yes clover is a great part of the lawn, unless someone is allergic to bees I think clover is great

many of the sports turf guys we works with top dress first and then aerate, many others aerate first and then top dress, I think its 6 of one and half dozen of the other myself. If I was going to choose one I would top dress first

one yard of compost will cover 1000 to 1500 sq ft in general

once the seed uses up all of its stored energy it will need a little push into fall to get established well, you might think about a fish/kelp (nitrogen/potassium) with micronutrient application in a month or so

Thanks for the help great info. The only other thing, can anyone offer any advice on seed type is there a specific strain of tall fescue that is best and can I get it from local feed store or a big box like home depot or lowes

thanks again

Smallaxe
08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
... many of the sports turf guys we works with top dress first and then aerate, many others aerate first and then top dress, I think its 6 of one and half dozen of the other myself. If I was going to choose one I would top dress first ...

What would be the advantage of putting the compost down first? Does it get into the holes as well as after plugging?

OrganicsMaine
08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
What would be the advantage of putting the compost down first? Does it get into the holes as well as after plugging?

I think that topdressing after you core aerate is better. However, the sports turf guys are probably using an aeravator which would press in through the compost and vibrate it down in a little better. Just thinking out loud, no experience with this!

ICT Bill
08-23-2011, 10:45 PM

I think that topdressing after you core aerate is better. However, the sports turf guys are probably using an aeravator which would press in through the compost and vibrate it down in a little better. Just thinking out loud, no experience with this!

they think it drives the compost down further in the soil, but if you look at golf courses they ALWAYS aerate first and top dress after, so do landscapers

that is why I said, six of one half dozen of another

Smallaxe
08-24-2011, 07:58 AM
I suppose it could be true, but I think I'll stick with the 6... or am I sticking with the half dozen... anyways I'm sticking to it...

Thanks for the reply... :)

NattyLawn
08-24-2011, 09:05 AM
I suppose it could be true, but I think I'll stick with the 6... or am I sticking with the half dozen... anyways I'm sticking to it...

Thanks for the reply... :)

I tend to agree with OM and Axe. I would pull plugs then topdress.

OP, most newer varieties of TTTF should be fine. Just steer clear of the K-31 fescue, which is the thick bladed stuff you see on most older lawns.

phasthound
08-24-2011, 02:10 PM
One possible drawback to planting clover is that it will attract deer.
http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_editorials/meals/food/attract_deer_using_food_plots_its_not_rocket_science.html

c2weech
08-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Ok guys so I hit the big box stores, local nursery and local feed store. I have looked up most all of the cultivars and they all seem to say that each is great.

Anyone have an opinion on Vigoro Tall fescue claims has two cultivars of RTF it was the cheapest at the big box vs pennington and scotts.

Or local feed store is the cheapest route.

What would you do ? And for cool season is tall fescue the best for an organic /low input lawn or any other types.

Thanks

Smallaxe
08-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Your climate may vary slightly from ours in that you're on the other side of the lake, but we can't have tall fescues in Wisco... what you want to look at is the individual varieties listed, not worry about brand names... I like the P. rye, KBG, fine fescue mix... Isn't Tall fescue course ugly grass anyways???

phasthound
08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Contact your County Agricultural Extension for best seed types for your location. They buy the highest quality seeds, don't go cheap.