PDA

View Full Version : 13HP Kohler Command going through plugs

vencops
08-22-2011, 08:37 PM
What would make my old (yes, it's old) WB go through so many plugs? I've been through 4, this season. Seems they last less and less time, lately. And, I'm not using the mower any more than I have in the past.

I put a new air filter on it just last week. I had to install a new plug, today. It didn't have 5 hours on it.

I've changed the oil and filter, regularly.

Admittedly, I use this machine in some REALLY rough stuff, occasionally. But, this is just a little absurd (IMO).

Thanks.

Restrorob
08-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Which one of these plugs look like yours when you remove it ?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/All%20Engines/SparkPlugFiringChart.jpg

vencops
08-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Probably looks most like the wet fouled.

I changed the air filter the last time I used it, before today. Today, it wouldn't crank. I tried a little starter fluid, and it didn't fire. I changed the plug (this is typical of how it goes with this unit) and it works, fine.

The air filter is naturally clean as can be.

The plug that came out didn't really look bad. If anything, the residue is dark and moist. But, it's not bad looking.

piston slapper
08-23-2011, 09:32 AM
How much oil does it go through?
Is your oil level too high?
You can only get 10-20 years out of a Kohler.

Restrorob
08-23-2011, 06:28 PM
To add to Slappers questions, What brand/number spark plug are you running ?

vencops
08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
It's never burnt oil, since I've owned it. I bought it in March of this year. I did change the oil, last week. I'll re-check the level. I put in a "hair" over 1.5qts.

My dealer checked and double-checked the plugs, when I asked for them. He was aware it takes a shorter or longer (I can't recall) plug...and that the wrong one was bad news.

I'll check it......

It's a ChampionRC12YC.

Restrorob
08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Are you gaping the plug at .040" ?

You could have a weak/cracked/broken breather reed causing the issue.....

topsites
08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Unless there's a specific reason for the .040 gap...
I always gap anything non-2 cycle .030...

And you can make the gap wider but that's more space the spark has to hurdle.
Shorter gaps, wider arc.
Wider gaps, thinner arcs.
Too wide, no arc.

Restrorob
08-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Unless there's a specific reason for the .040 gap...

I think revised BOOK spec is reason enough.......

vencops
08-24-2011, 08:25 AM
The info. on gapping for these plugs is all over the board. Seems Chapion suggests .040 and Kohler is either at odds with that.....or, they're behind the times (seems crazy, since they've been making this engine a long time).

I haven't even been checking the gaps, though. I know that's blasphemous, in this forum. But, no use fibbin' about it.

I'll get a tester, today. Thanks.

topsites
08-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Here we go again, on the other hand I suppose we should be glad it was apparently something simple.

piston slapper
08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Here we go again, on the other hand I suppose we should be glad it was apparently something simple.

Hang in there Topper...The week is still young...

Not much gravee left when the "Big 3" are trolling the threads......:walking:

Restrorob
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Not much gravee left when the "Big 3" are trolling the threads......:walking:

http://www.iol.ie/~gtir/misc/food/dinner.gif

vencops
08-24-2011, 09:49 PM
So.....(and I have no idea), you guys are thinking the way the plug comes from the dealer (default gap setting) could be off enough to foul them all (2-3 of them)?

Restrorob
08-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Not necessarily, But when diagnosing run issues everything must be done/checked by the book to remove all doubt. One could be chasing their tail over a simple oversight, Re-gap and give it a try.....

vencops
08-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Will do. Thanks for your input. I'll give it a go.

I'm keeping this machine for a back-up..........if it remains dependable. I wish I was more of a motor guy.

Thanks, again.