PDA

View Full Version : How long would it take you to aerate & seed 1 acre?

Lawn-Scapes
10-30-2002, 07:05 PM
I guess this would be sort of like a poll... I just want to compare..

Fairly level lot, the house, a couple of trees and a couple of beds. Single pass aeration and around 8#/1000 of seed (7 bags).

List your equipment too... If you would, please.

Thanks

Jimbo
10-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Tom,

I think people are going to need more info. Like what size aerator, pull or walk-behind, what your seeding with etc. Lots of variables here. Without this info the times will vary quite a bit.

You still thinking about doing that same job? The weather is going to get really cold this weekend (20s). Its probably getting too cold now (heavy frost).

Jim

Lawn-Scapes
10-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Jimbo... That's what I want to know... How long it takes with the equipment one has (or rents).

Hawkeye5
10-31-2002, 08:56 AM
TSG: I can help on part of your question, the aeration. Two weeks ago I did a lot that is slightly over an acre. I did double pass the front (11,000 Sq. Ft.), and the front was a bit chopped up into three different areas. Single pass on the back, where there were just a few trees. I rented a Ryan 24" walkbehind. Not the ideal, but it was what the rental place had left that day. Total time was four hours for the aeration. Single pass may cut 30 to 40 minutes out of the time, and I did take a 15 minute break. JD

greenngrow
10-31-2002, 10:10 AM
I have a Befco aerator / seeder that goes behind my TC 33D.

The seeder is 5 foot wide and makes a slit rather than a hole or plug. It also drops the seed in the same pass.

One acre single pass will take me right at a hour and a half. This all depends on how turns and trees there are...

lbmd1
10-31-2002, 12:40 PM
Using a Rock Solid Plugr, you can aerate 27,500 sq ft per hour. Only need to single pass with this machine. Don't know whether your acre includes the house footprint or subtraction of beds, drivesways, etc.. You list them but not sure whether you've subtracted them out of the one acre. Another 15 minutes for seeding.

Mike

Lawn-Scapes
10-31-2002, 10:50 PM
lbmd1 (Mike).. You can put down 350# of seed in 15 mintues? How?

I use a Lesco/Classen 48" tow aerator and Lesco - Truckster spreader. Both hook up to my Lazer Z. Takes about 2 hours.

Strawbridge Lawn
11-01-2002, 09:06 AM
For a yard that size, A tow aerator is the only wise choice. A tow spreader would also be highly recommended. With a 48" tow aerator and a tow spreader you are looking at 1-2 hour time frame. Smaller width equip and you will be there significantly longer.