PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix this?

Murphy's Law
08-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Here goes.

House is 1 year old. Granite steps were installed last fall.

I dug down and found a 4 inch concrete slab with about 3-4 inches of clean stone "underneath." As far as I could tell by digging down the side of the concrete.

They dropped about 3.5 inches from last fall to this spring. The top landing was up to where the siding corner has been notched out. They have not moved since. This is according to the homeowner.

It appears that the front of the steps/slab combination has not moved. I think it is because it is outside the overdig.

The homeowner wants it fix before winter. I think it might be too soon and conveyed that thought to the homeowner.

Here's my best plan:
Remove the slab, fillers and top step.
Install a 3"x3" angle iron bolted through the foundation.
Reinstall fillers, top step and slab on the angle iron.

I would really appreciate any feedback on how you all would approach this situation.

FYI, this is a customer with a ton of potential work so I don't want to tell them "You are going to have to wait xxx number of years if you want me to do the work." I really think they will find someone else and I would be out all the potential work. Make sense?

DVS Hardscaper
08-24-2011, 11:41 AM
If they no wanna wait then excavate the overdig and backfill with compacted aggregate.
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
08-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Man its hard to tell whats going on there, looks like there is no space between the concrete and the granite, where do you see clear stone? If it sank 3 and a half inches already then your only choice is to remove the slabs and start from scratch. Where is the contractor that put them in?

TomG
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't think your angle iron idea will work... If you raise the back of the fillers 3 in but leave the steps the fillers wont match up square to the back of the steps, and it looks like the steps are pitching backwards so that should be fixed as well.

I would... Take all the granite apart then remove the cement pad. I would then dig down at least a foot (maybe 2 seeing how the house is so young), compact the sub base, put a layer of geo-fabric down, put in layers of 3/4in gravel and compact, and every 4-6 in I would put in a layer of geo-grid. Then re-install the steps.

SVA_Concrete
08-24-2011, 06:58 PM
maybe you can mud-jack it?

most of the slabs we have had jacked were done through the surface of the slab. you may be able to do it through the sides though and not remove any granite.

check your local concrete materials supplier for a referral on someone that does mud jacking and chat with them.

it may be a 30 minute fix and you will be a hero.......

OF COURSE, one Caveat-- explain to the homeowner that due to over-dig and the age of the house it may continue to settle and will need to be jacked again at a later date.

scagrider22
08-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Are you an iron worker or a landscaper??

This job is simple, take it apart, dig the footer out and refill in lifts or you can level it up with stone and go do it again next year!

DVS Hardscaper
08-24-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm not liking these granite steps.

The remind me of a mobile home park.

Why not do away with the granite and build some nice wooden steps with nice work, or composite material, wrapped in vinyl, etc?

SVA_Concrete
08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Are you an iron worker or a landscaper??

This job is simple, take it apart, dig the footer out and refill in lifts or you can level it up with stone and go do it again next year!

it is common practice to use steel lintels in conjunction with masonry in building construction. i think the galvanized steel angle would work fine, maybe not exactly as described, but with some tweaking.

he could also epoxy a few dowels into the foundation wall and pour an 8" ledger and use that to bear on.

all ferris
08-24-2011, 10:40 PM
those steps make me think of the cemetery....RIP

joes169
08-24-2011, 10:59 PM
If your'e going to go through the work of removing the steps & excavating down to virgin soil, you may as well pour two haunches (or block them up over a footing) doweled into the foundation and give them a job that will last forever. Anything short of a footed, frost protected stoop in this application is inferior IMO.

Gilmore.Landscaping
08-24-2011, 11:42 PM
We have done that angle iron thing before, it works great. Its a simple fix once the steps are down and its a very permanent fix. But I also agree that the slab should probably be removed and compacted below that.

Murphy's Law
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the responses.

The original contractor was the builder and he's "out like trout" as they say.

I'm looking into the mud jacking idea.

Basically, they like the granite steps and want to keep them.

Their quote "We paid for it once, we really don't want to have to pay for it again." this is why I am trying to come up with other ideas for them. Like SVA (I think) said I'm trying to be the hero for relatively short money so I can gain a lot of work down the road.

Any other thoughts?

Murphy's Law
08-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Man its hard to tell whats going on there, looks like there is no space between the concrete and the granite, where do you see clear stone? If it sank 3 and a half inches already then your only choice is to remove the slabs and start from scratch. Where is the contractor that put them in?

The reason why there is no space between the concrete and granite is that the granite sunk with the concrete. The small space you do see is a shim when it was installed originally.

I found clean stone just under the pad after I took the photos. I dug down to see how thick the pad is and found the stone.